Is Verizon's data network fast enough to stream Netflix?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by ap3604, Apr 8, 2011.

1. ap3604 macrumors 68000

Also is there a 5gb cap / throttle to Verizons "unlimited" data plan?

I'm about to purchase one off of eBay and wanted to be sure of these 2 things first. I know it of course depends on your area but I live in SoCal so I should be in a good area and wanted to make sure Netflix wasn't pixilated like crazy and I wouldn't be throttle if I accidentally went over 5gb.

Thanks for your answers guys I appreciate your knowledge :)

2. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

I've never used a Verizon iPhone, but with my AT&T iPhone I can tell you that Netflix seems to work pretty well with anything over 0.8 Mbps. You'll get the lower quality video around there, and around 1.0 Mbps it starts to look nicer. (And it even works below those speeds, but you may have it pause ever 2 or 3 minutes for a few seconds.)

As I understand it, Verizon seems to get speeds above that so IF you have good signal I'd assume that a Verizon iPhone would have no trouble streaming Netflix.

3. scelzifan macrumors 6502

No cap and I own a Thunderbolt and an iphone through Verizon and the iphone can stream netflix just fine with 3G. Netflix is very good about how they stream their movies so you can almost stream at any speed but I get around 1 to 1.5 with the iphone and it does fine and with the Thunderbolt I have used WAY over 5 gb's and they have never said a work or throttled me or anything. When they say unlimited they truly mean unlimited unless you just get stupid and start using 10-15 gigs a month then you might hear something.

4. ECUpirate44 macrumors 603

ECUpirate44

Yes it is. I just streamed 2.6 GB worth if netflix with no problem.

5. dumb terminal macrumors member

dumb terminal

Absolutely no problems streaming Netflix on my viPhone over 3G, even in the middle of Manhattan during business hours :cool:

6. I AM THE MAN macrumors 6502

It works just fine. I use a Verizon Mi-Fi and I have the Verizon iPhone. When I use the MiFi with my iPad, I watch Netflix WITH NO LAG AT ALL. As on the iPhone, its the same deal.

7. Bacong macrumors 68000

Bacong

Verizon's "slowness" is over-stated. Sure, it's slower than AT&T but it's still good mobile internet.

8. Diseal3 macrumors 65816

I agree. It even surpasses is some congested areas.

9. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Yep, Verizon 3G is pretty dependable and available almost everywhere.

That is a major reason why some Verizon smartphones didn't have WiFi for years. (Although Verizon actually had some with WiFi at the same time that ATT first did, contrary to common internet mythology.)

There was simply not as much need for using hotspots on Verizon, unlike with ATT and its limited 3G area. By leaving out that extra radio, the battery lasted longer too, which is exactly why Sprint and Verizon Blackberrys didn't include it for so long.