Is Vista worth upgrade cost and memory usage?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by kavika411, Jul 12, 2007.

1. kavika411 macrumors 6502a

kavika411

I know, I know, I know. The name of this site is MACrumors, but I don't know what the equivalent of this site is in the PC/windows world, and I also figure some of you guys are like me - you do 90% of your stuff on a Mac but have a PC/laptop in the corner for random stuff. Anyway, my 2002 Toshiba Satelite (1 gig of memory) does just fine for what little I need it to do. Based on your experience (those of you familiar with Vista, Vista upgrading, etc.), is there anything which should motivate me to upgrade my laptop to Vista? Thanks.

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

From various experiences with Vista and extensive conversations with some early adopters, the general advice is don't do it. I personally would wait until SP1 is released (apparently betas are coming out soon) at least. But if you are happy with XP and won't miss the features of vista then i would stick with XP until the end of that computers life.

3. Carrot007 macrumors regular

Carrot007

Vista, on a 2002 era machine. Really you must be joking. I actually own a copy of vista and do not use it! There is nothing is provides that Xp does not do better. In fact explorer runs so slow it is annoying.

Yes things can be done to tweak it, but why bother when there is nothing forcing me to (yet).

I'd say ignore for the time being.

4. techlover828 macrumors 68020

techlover828

Vista seems to mostly about appearance, I'd wait

5. FrankBlack macrumors 6502

FrankBlack

I use windows XP and Win 2K (on some older machines) on the job. Vista is not yet approved by our IT department for networked systems, but it is running on some stand-alone systems.

I'll echo what others have already suggested: Wait a bit, at least for SP1 to be released. If possible, wait until you get a new machine, with Vista installed on it. On some Dell 670 workstations, it is noticably slower, even with 2 gigs of installed ram.