Is VLC still the go-to app for watching videos?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kylera, Sep 27, 2016.

1. kylera macrumors 65816

kylera

I've always used VLC, but now I'm wondering whether there are any other worthy alternatives that have popped up over the past couple of years.

2. ApolloBoy macrumors 6502a

ApolloBoy

VLC's still the best game in town as far as I'm concerned.

3. smorrissey macrumors 65816

I like mobi-player above vlc on the ipad because i don't get any black screens when pausing, turning on the phone and pressing play again, problem is it hasn't been updated since 2014....

4. IHelpId10t5 macrumors 6502

Depending on your browser version and the site (if streaming from the web), native HTML5 support typically works great for modern sites. For local video or streams in formats that your preferred browser does not natively support, then VLC is tried and true for almost anything. In 2016 if a video can't be played natively in my browser or by VLC, then I just don't have any need to watch it.

5. tjwilliams25 macrumors 6502

I try to use Quicktime as much as possible since it's the most optimized for macOS, but if I have random old files I want to watch in weird formats VLC is my trusty standby.

6. Tarek macrumors 6502

I have tried many but I always go back to VLC.

7. Michael Anthony macrumors regular

VLC still beats everything I've tried, and it's still developed, not shedding features, bright future ahead.