Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tomkins!

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jul 17, 2012
Hello,

I'm planning on upgrading to Mountain Lion, but I'll only upgrade if VMWare Fusion 4 runs without problems on Mountain Lion. Can anyone please check if VMWare Fusion runs fine on Mountain Lion?

Thanks in advance!

Tommy

arbitrage

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2009
I have VMware Fusion 4.1.1 Installer that I purchased and it won't install in ML. Says it is not compatible??
Do I need to get the newest version?
On my Lion computer the version is now updated to 4.1.3 since I installed.
What version are you running to get it to work and how can I update to 4.1.3 if it won't let me open or install 4.1.1?

Thanks

SlCKB0Y

macrumors 68040
Feb 25, 2012
Sydney, Australia
but I'll only upgrade if VMWare Fusion 4 runs without problems on Mountain Lion. Can anyone please check if VMWare Fusion runs fine on Mountain Lion?

The way I read that it's pretty clear he is talking about ML as the host OS.

Yes, it works - I haven't had any issues.

pdafan

macrumors regular
Aug 2, 2011
VM Fusion 4.1.3 will run well on Mountain Lion.
At least it does on mine.

aleni

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2006
it's working great! resuming and suspending are much faster too than in Lion.

arbitrage

macrumors 6502a
Mar 19, 2009
So I downloaded 4.1.3 onto my ML system and entered my serial number and all is well. Works great on ML. I am running the Windows 8 Preview and for the one program that I need to run in windows it works great. I actually like Windows 8 as a simple operating system. Once you figure out how to move around and actually launch an application (i.e. no start menu) it works well. I like the Metro interface and some of the free apps from the store like Cocktail are really cool.

I've yet to see confirmation if the $40 upgrade will be applicable to someone running the Win8 Preview on a mac in a VM but some of the Windows experts (i.e. Paul Thurrott) have suggested that they believe it will be no matter what as MS just wants as many people as possible to move to Win8 knowing no enterprise customers will ever make the switch.

ianwuk

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2010
VMWare Fusion 4 works fine on my ML (64-bit obviously).

Make sure you have the latest version of VMWare Fusion though as it will not work. I thought it was ironic how, after upgrading from Lion, a message popped up saying I had incompatible software and it was for Parallels which is not even installed.

Many thanks.

ianwuk

jayellpi

macrumors newbie
Feb 28, 2010
VMWare Fusion 4

Hello all,

Just wanted to say I just this morning installed OSX Mountain Lion and found to my surprise that my Parallels 6 does not work. I was not willing to fork out another $49 for the upgrade to Parallels 7 after just recently paying $79 for Parallels 6 so I went to the VMWare site and downloaded the free for 30 day trial of VMFusion 4. Installed it and it works like a charm on Mountain Lion. In fact, I like it so much better than Parallels for several reasons. For one thing I can finally use my wifi printer. It would never work with Parallels 6 when I had Lion or Snow Leopard even though it shows up in Windows. This VM Fusion 4 is smooth and fast and I think much better than Parallels. I think I will purchase this for $49 and say goodbye to Parallels. Besides, they really ticked me off by not supporting Parallels 6 with Mountain Lion.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.