Is voice control a joke?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by tylerww7, Jun 21, 2009.

1. tylerww7 macrumors member

Play artist Asher Roth= call 484-8004

idk what the deal is voice control hasn't gotten one thing right at all.

2. macintosh.apple macrumors 6502

3. nfl46 macrumors 603

4. Maclver macrumors 68020

Maclver

did it make you laugh?

5. agkm800 macrumors 6502a

agkm800

Maybe that phone number is Asher Roth's real phone number and the music will be played LIVE over the phone? :D

6. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Learn to enunciate?

I just did 10 tests and the only one it didn't get was Roger Whittaker, and I just noticed that's because I don't have Roger Whittaker on my iPhone.

Make sure, if the artist has more than one word in the name, to clearly enunciate between the two. If you slur them together it can get confused.

7. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

They some time to get it better - just as Google needed using Goog411.

8. LoganT macrumors 68020

9. gloss macrumors 601

gloss

Actually, after testing, 'Asher Roth' is difficult for it because of the way the first and last names slur together. One naturally wants to say 'Asherroth'. I had the phone play Battles and Interpol before it finally got it right...I had to clearly stop and start; 'play artist Asher - Roth'.

10. veritech137 macrumors newbie

That's another reason why the iPhone is such a great device... it has good taste.:D

11. iArrudaG macrumors regular

iArrudaG

12. coledog macrumors 6502a

coledog

Voice works perfectly for me, only had one mistake out of about 30 tries...been showing it off to everyone lol.

Be sure to enunciate clearly...also it doesn't seem to work quite as well in noisy environments.

13. duky macrumors 6502

Definitely not a 100% perfect experience for me but it's been alright once in a while. I try it twice, if it doesn't work I just take out my phone and do what I want to do. I've found though that saying people's names as spelt (rather than as they are actually meant to be said) and enunciating (as everyone else mentions) works really well. It's a solid feature, hopefully it gets better. It's probably why Apple was never really interested in bringing Voice Control--because it's not as good as it should be. On another note, I did find out today that it requires a cell network connection to function (I was in the subway) -- I didn't realize this. On that note -- do people know if this is something that "learns" along the way or is it safe to say what we currently have is how it will always be until some software update?

14. k2director macrumors regular

I've dialed about 15 people via Voice Control (60 mph car and inside office) and it's gotten each one right. My only problem is that sometimes I forget to say "CALL" beforehand or say "cel" instead of "Mobile". But I'll get used to that.

I think Apple has a big opportunity to make Voice control a killer feature over the years...

15. chriszzz macrumors 6502

It's because the iPhone would much rather call someone than play that crap.

16. thomasfxlt macrumors 6502

Agreed. It will work occasionally without the "call" command, but works consistently for me when I use "call" before the name.

17. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Yeah it pretty much sux for me. 99% it doesn't understand what I am saying.

18. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

People need to realize that this isn't going to work when you are talking to it just like you would another person. Slow down, take time to enunciate each word clearly, and I would be willing to bet it will be just as accurate as... well, as mine is.

19. dacreativeguy macrumors 68000

Not at all. I think voice control is the best feature of the 3GS and the one I'll probably use the most.

20. StingerT125 macrumors 6502a

StingerT125

I've tried it a few times so far and it has got it right every time. I'm happy with it so far and will try more experimenting with it.

21. jungle311 macrumors newbie

It doesn't get a name that has a number in it almost at all. Like I have 16 "stores" I visit for work, and in my contacts it's "#### - Name" and voice command doesn't match ever. So I moved the number to the end "Name - ####" and only got about a 15% success rate.

22. rman0726 macrumors regular

I just tired play artist asher roth and it worked fine.

23. iVeBeenDrinkin' macrumors 65816

iVeBeenDrinkin'