Is W7 or W8 better for rMBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Ultra AleM, Mar 15, 2013.

1. Ultra AleM macrumors 6502a

Ultra AleM

I'd like to make a 128GB partition for Windows on my MacBook 15 Retina. Which one's better? I like Windows 7, have been using it for 3 years and it's nice, faster than OS X. Is Windows 8 also good? Which one is better working the Retina on?

THX

2. bill-p macrumors 65816

Stick with Windows 7, unless you can deal with all of the quirks of Windows 8, and you don't mind more heat/noise because Windows 8 is making more extensive use of GPU acceleration.

3. AppleTecFan macrumors 6502

AppleTecFan

but windows 8 looks pretty!

but seriously, I use windows 8 on my MBP I dont see any day to day differences

4. TonyHoyle macrumors 6502a

You can make Win8 usable using StartIsBack (or similar) - that's what we do in the office (since machines ship with it and it's cheaper to do that than buy Win7 licenses for them), but for home TBH you're better off with Win7 as it's less hassle.

5. akdj macrumors 65816

akdj

Just curious if you guys have any good ideas where to pick up a copy of Win 7? I've got XP and Vista Ultimate...so I just need the 'upgrade'. I'm definitely NOT interested in Win 8

Thanks and sorry to 'thread jack'

J

6. bill-p macrumors 65816

Check Amazon.com?

I got my license from work, because we have some projects that require us to work on Windows, but otherwise...