Is waiting a smart idea?

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by Yodgee, Mar 22, 2009.

  1. Yodgee macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 5, 2009
    #1
    Currently in the market for a 2.4 unibody macbook. All the money should be together by mid april. Seeing there hasnt been an update since the introduction of these unibody macbooks last october, should i wait it out a bit longer? I suspect this update would be nothing large..but it would aggravate me to have an update just after ive purchased my laptop with my hard earned cash! Ive got my oldschool laptop still in order (but too big to carry to uni), and the family desktop pc. Pretty much it seems i can survive waiting a bit (although ive been hanging out to make this purchase since sometime last year). It's so difficult with apple as the updates are done so sneakily.
     
  2. illidian macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 27, 2008
    Location:
    Cincinnati, OH
    #2
    I haven't been keeping up with Intel's current processors, but I'll wager that one will come out before you start school in the fall.

    Though the only advantage to be gained is likely a minor speed bump. The nVidia chipsets and the casing should all be the same. There won't be Blu-Ray support.
     
  3. J-Dob macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 1, 2009
    #3
    I would definitely wait, I regret not waiting, I bought my macbook one month prior to the new one coming out.

    Basically, just wait, and if worse comes to worse and you need one asap then buy it. But I highly suggest waiting, or you might sorely regret it, like I do.
     
  4. drew0020 macrumors 68000

    drew0020

    Joined:
    Nov 10, 2006
    #5
    I never understood waiting. If the new processor comes out it will be a minimal upgrade most likely less than 5% bump in speed. Then if you buy the new processor a new one will be out in less than 6 months. Should you wait again?

    Processor speed is overrated in my opinion. I bought a SSD and that made a huge difference in the performance much more than 2.0 to 2.4ghz. If you need the laptop now then buy it now!
     
  5. miniConvert macrumors 68040

    miniConvert

    Joined:
    Mar 4, 2006
    Location:
    Kent, UK - the 'Garden of England'.
    #6
    That's my line of thought, too. If I know a big update is imminent then I may put off a purchase for a little while, but when I buy it's almost always determined by needs and buying a machine that meets them.

    In other words: If the current Macbook somehow doesn't meet your needs, don't buy it.
     
  6. Beerfloat macrumors regular

    Beerfloat

    Joined:
    Feb 21, 2009
  7. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

    Tallest Skil

    Joined:
    Aug 13, 2006
    Location:
    1 Geostationary Tower Plaza
    #8
    The next update will be a CPU clock bump. Nothing else will change. You. Won't. Notice. The. Change.

    Buy now and ignore updates until Q1 2010.
     
  8. reebzor macrumors 6502a

    reebzor

    Joined:
    Jul 18, 2008
    Location:
    Philadelphia, PA
    #9
    If you don't need it right away why don't you wait a little. Worst case scenario you wait until the summer and get yourself a free iPod when you buy your mac.
     
  9. Beerfloat macrumors regular

    Beerfloat

    Joined:
    Feb 21, 2009
    #10
    Never tell these kinds of posters to wait, then they'll simply be back in 3 months with the same question.

    Just buy the damn box already.
     
  10. svndmvn Guest

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2007
    Location:
    Italy
    #11
    what is there a buyer's guide for? If one asks if waiting is better it means the person can wait, this is why it should, especially since the white macbook's life is in danger, IMO.
    If it gets updated usually every 6 months and it should be updated in 30 days, the guy doesn't even have the money now, just wait.. nothing big will happen, a couple of changes, either price points if the white one's gone or CPU (+.133GHz) and something else.
     
  11. smooth macrumors 6502

    smooth

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2007
    Location:
    Detroit
    #12
    Normally I would say just buy it already. I am not one of the many who think that the current models will become instantly obsolete when an updated model gets released. However, when I was advising someone to just buy a current model a few weeks ago, a fellow poster brought up a good point. He thought that the updated MacBooks may receive the new battery that the 17" MBP has. Doubling the battery life is one of the very few, if not the only, reasons I would advocate waiting especially since you have 2 other computers to use in the meantime.
     
  12. Knolly macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jul 22, 2007
    #13
    Question:

    Does the current computer do everything you need a computer to do?

    If yes, then buy it.
     
  13. labyrinth23 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Mar 5, 2009
    #14
    Do we seriously need another one of these threads??
     
  14. shady825 macrumors 68000

    shady825

    Joined:
    Oct 8, 2008
    Location:
    Area 51
    #15
    I hear that...
    I think people forget searching goes a LONG way.. I myself have posted opinions in at least 5-6 different threads on this same matter..
     
  15. clyde2801 macrumors 601

    clyde2801

    Joined:
    Mar 6, 2008
    Location:
    In the land of no hills and red dirt.
    #16
    Wait til late summer early fall if you can:

    1. Get new os 10.6 for free instead of paying $129.00.

    2. Possibly get new ipod as part of a back to school special for the same price.

    3. Small chance of getting a processor bump.
     
  16. iMacmatician macrumors 601

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2008
    #17
    Intel will deliver a 133 MHz CPU bump for the 2.67 GHz and 2.93 GHz CPUs next month or so. We may see an update shortly after.

    After that it's Q1 2010.
     
  17. alphaod macrumors Core

    alphaod

    Joined:
    Feb 9, 2008
    Location:
    NYC
    #18
    It will just be a multiplier bump.
     
  18. schreck macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Oct 21, 2007
    Location:
    New England
    #19
    Here, here!

    I am an advocate of at least waiting until Snow Leopard comes out. The current machine is quite sufficient, but wait for the new OS if you can.
     
  19. Yodgee thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 5, 2009
    #20
    Well im here in Australia so the back to school special is on now until sometime mid april. Dont really need an ipod but i guess i can hook someone else up. Id be kidding myself if the current macbook doesnt suite my needs. Its going to be used for uni work, web browsing at home, music, movies, ripping some dvds, etc. Nothing too exhausting. Will be sweet to finally have a portable laptop to take to uni. Been hanging out for this laptop for ages..guess ill go ahead with the purchase unless i hear clues of an update in the next 2weeks. Waiting for snow leapard does not seem reasonable for me, as i wont mind paying the extra money after its released (whenever that is in the coming months). Thanks for the advice guys, and apologies for making one of these wait or not wait threads.
     
  20. Shackler macrumors 6502a

    Shackler

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2007
    Location:
    behind you!
    #21
    Nothing like a good wait or buy thread every week.
     

Share This Page