Is waiting in line for a new iPhone launch an experience for you.

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by kcjohn, Sep 18, 2014.

1. kcjohn macrumors member

kcjohn

I've always been a fan of Apple and I've been looking forward to waiting in line tonight for the launch tomorrow. Does anyone else feel the same way?

2. jbenkelman macrumors 6502

jbenkelman

Sadly, I've never done the waiting in line on a launch day. It just never works out with my work schedule (probably just bad planning on my part). I have waited in line a few days after release (iPad 2nd Gen) with someone else, and it was a lot of fun!

Truly, it is what you make of it. If you are a grumpy person, then its going to suck, but if you are social and like to make friends its all kinds of fun!

3. cmhsam macrumors 6502

For sure. I love it and will be doing it even though my phone is ready for pickup

4. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

5. cornerexit macrumors regular

No. I wouldn't wait in line all night/overnight if they were handing them out for free. I've never understood how waiting in line for consumer products is fun. Same goes for Black Friday.

6. davefromca macrumors 6502

I wont wait in line but the experience of preordering is kind of fun. Its an excuse to be a nerd, check macrumors, play video games, drink martinis...not many fun things left when you are starting a family and trying to buy a house, all work and no play.

7. mikethebigo macrumors 68000

One thing I've always told my friends when they mock me for lining up is that you will never be in a happier and more excited crowd than a bunch of Apple fans on iPhone launch day. The vibe is my favorite part.

8. BirdmanZach macrumors newbie

I waited in line when my Apple Store opened (got a T-Shirt), waited for the original iPhone for like 6 hours so my buddies could buy 2 each, and stood in line when Leopard dropped (got another T-Shirt). I refuse to wait in line again. Pre-Ordered. I'll sit at home, get a workout in, factory reset my 5 to give to my girlfriend, and sign for my new phone.

9. JoshMKB24 macrumors 6502a

JoshMKB24

When my local AT&T store was next door to a bar, some friends and I would go and rotate taking shots at the bar and waiting in line. Also, we we're the only ones who had this idea as a lot of younger people showed up and did the same and after the bar shut down most people had also brought liquor/beer with them so it became a very festive atmosphere. Since then the AT&T store has moved next to the mall where the Apple store is also located. We did it for the last time when the 4 came out, but it wasn't nearly as much fun as it seemed there we're more just families there with small kids and wasn't a lot of excitement. We also got a lot of glares from parents as we we're downing alcohol at a pretty fast rate, although I would call out their parenting by keeping their small children up almost all night sitting outside for a stupid phone...........in any case, now I just order it and try to get it delivered on the release day.

----------

You have apparently never waited in line for student tickets for a major college program :) I'd say that crowd is happier and more excited than any Apple launch I've ever attended.

10. EdMan macrumors 6502

EdMan

Closest I ever came to waiting in line on launch was for the iPhone 4s. I had pre-ordered one for my wife and I from Att and mine shipped before hers. We were going out of town and I wanted her to have her phone so I waited at the Att across the street from my job. I only waited a couple of hours and there was never a serious line. I was second in line. I would never do an all nighter though.

11. kovey macrumors 6502a

To me, it's similar to a new game console being released. I would probably have waited in line if I was in college or didn't have a real job, but hell no at this point. I'm excited to have the phone delivered to me tomorrow morning.

12. rukkus macrumors member

i waited for the 5s and it was one of the least enjoyable moments of my life. i was constantly yelling at ticket sellers that pretended they couldn't speak english when trying to cut back into line with their friends/family for more tickets.

13. starbryte macrumors newbie

starbryte

I will be waiting in line for the first time tomorrow morning. I am getting three of the six pluses. We are on a family plan and all of us are upgrading tomorrow morning. I'm here in Trumbull Connecticut. I'll be waiting at the mall for the AT&T store to open up. I think I'm going to hit the mall around midnight to see what's going on. I'll come prepared to stay because if it looks crazy I'm just gonna stay.
    if the line is not there yet I will come back around 3 AM. No later than four that's for sure.

14. techspin macrumors 6502a

I would cheer for you for keeping the riff raff out!

15. McPc macrumors 6502

McPc

I went in to an Apple Store on a launch day and the lines sure didn't look like fun. Last year I did the iPad Air launch Day and there wasn't even a line up. In and out in 10 minutes. Will be interesting to see what tomorrow holds for in-store pickup.

Guess I'd rather be waiting in a line at the Apple Store than sitting around and jumping up from my chair every time I hear a diesel truck approaching hoping it's the Fed Ex delivery truck or looking at the online tracking and seeing "Out For Delivery" for the hundredth time! :p

16. 2SwiFt29 macrumors regular

2SwiFt29

I lined up for the 4 and it was an experience. For the 5, I ordered it online instead for pick up at the store. Still a wait but the fun is still there. I thought about lining up for it tomorrow but I already pre-ordered by 6+ and now hearing that stores are getting limited 6+, probably won't cancel my order and wait in line :rolleyes:

17. dishfan82 macrumors member

Even if they gave it away free I wouldn't wait in line. To have to sit or stand there all night long would suck . What if you have to go to the bathroom? Imagine stepping out of line. Nobody would let you back in. I could never understand the whole Black Friday thing either. There's people who eat dinner early on thanksgiving just so they can map out a plan by 4 pm just so they can go stand in lines for hours to get tv's that have low specs. I'd much rather Spend time with Family or help out in a soup kitchen than stand out in the cold.

There's not anything worth it imho. It's best to pre order the iPhone rather than trying to deal with long lines.

18. penajmz macrumors 68030

penajmz

I have done it 3 times and it has been a fun yet tiring experience. You meet cool people to joke around until 8 AM but you can't really sleep and its really tiring. Next day you end up going home with your new toy to sleep.

19. starbryte macrumors newbie

starbryte

I'm at Trumbull Mall in CT now (610am) im 3rd in line, about 30 total so far. atleast im inside, free wifi, dunkin donuts opened, its a chill experience. some cool ppl in line w/me
    Honestly ill get my 6plus & go hone to sleep.