Is warranty void by replacing thermal compound?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by David-fr, Mar 7, 2011.

1. David-fr macrumors 6502

Hi all,

I will be replacing the horrible thermal compound job on my new MPB. The question is, will my warranty be void? I read on Apple that warranty is only voided if you damage the computer.

I kinda don't wanna call apple to ask, and if i go and tell them to replace it them selfs they'll prob laugh at me.

Let me know,
    David.

2. Mac-key macrumors 6502a

IF you break something during the process, NO it will not be covered under warranty. Also, it is my understanding that IF Apple figures out you did this, then your warranty will be voided.

IF you do a great job and leave no trace that you did the procedure then you are good

3. iZero macrumors regular

Honestly it seems like a bit of a silly risk to take, to me... If the terrible thermal paste job they seem to have done at the factory happens to fail/cause problems under warranty, you are safe... If you go into it and change it, and you accidentally damage something, or if someday a component fails and they see that you did such a modification, they by all rights could (maybe they would, maybe they wouldn't, however, in actuality) void your warranty. Then you're out whatever the cost of the repair out of pocket...

They did a terrible job on that. Most manufacturers do, it seems. But you're safe if it causes a failure with your warranty. It's not a difficult modification, but the slightest screw up could be a couple thousand dollar mistake...

Seems like a absolutely crazy risk to me. I'm going to wait until my warranty/Apple Care expire before I do it. Can't afford to risk it :p

4. mrkramer macrumors 603

mrkramer

Yes it will void your warranty. There is a small chance you could do it without getting caught in which case they would still honor the warranty but it's not worth it. Just wait for your AppleCare to expire, if it causes any problems before then they will be covered.