Is warranty voided by adding SSD to optibay slot?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by pjny, Sep 7, 2011.

1. pjny macrumors 6502a

I have a feeling that the Applecare warranty is voided if I remove the optibay drive and put in an OWC Datadoubler with SSD on my 2010(late) Macbook Pro 13". True/false?

How about replacing the stock 500gb drive on the mbp with the OWC SSD?

What else might Apple look for in terms of warranty violations? Just asking because they always check iphones for water damage.

I might have to take the macbook pro into apple for logic board failure because the SD card slot failed and people here say that points to logic board problem.

Just wondering if I have to put back my optibay drive.

2. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

SEARCH is your friend . . .

In short, yes, legally you void the warranty by installing an optibay.

3. pjny thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks. My main concern is that they look for signs that optibay was removed and replaced. maybe scratches on the screws holding the optibay in.

4. DWBurke811 macrumors 6502a

If you put the SuperDrive back in you'll be good(obviously I can't say 100%); I doubt whoever looks at your computer will be trying to screw you over by checking the screws for scratches or anything. And yes, that was a turbo pun.

5. satchow macrumors 6502

No it doesn't void the whole warranty like most people think. If you look at the terms and agreements of your AppleCare warranty, it states that damages due to "unauthorized modifications" are not covered. Not that it voids your whole warranty. And if they give you crap for it, print out the terms and agreements and show it to them because they are sometimes less educated about this than they should ever be.

6. bizzle macrumors 6502a

Or just don't mangle your machine so bad that anyone with half a brain can tell you modified it that way you can restore it to "regular" condition before you bring it in for service.

7. Naimfan macrumors 68040

Naimfan

Actually, yes, it does. Of course, Apple would have to show that an unauthorized modification was made, but if they do, the entire warranty is void. You need to read and understand "Exclusion G."