Is watch-movies.net an illegal site?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by brian9271, Feb 10, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. brian9271 macrumors 6502

brian9271

Is watching movies on watch-movies.net illegal?

2. kainjow Moderator emeritus

kainjow

3. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

More likely then not, if you aren't paying for it, it isn't legal.

4. cycocelica macrumors 68000

cycocelica

I have said it before...

If you have to ask if something is illegal, it probably is.

Now that doesn't go for anything, but it appears that the website is having some maintenance so I can't tell if it is or not.

5. brian9271 thread starter macrumors 6502

brian9271

Well you can watch all the new movies that came out, I'm surprised people who have uploaded those movies haven't got caught yet...

6. SunShineMan macrumors newbie

Well from my understanding... its not illegal to watch movies because you are not downloading the movies or uploading them (the site is) and are not paying for them. The site its self is probably illegal in most countries that respect copy write laws. As for viewing it, legal, you should be fine... I hope.

7. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Still, you're basically stealing movies, and legal or not, it's not ethical.

8. Badandy macrumors 68040

Badandy

Let's use some logic here.

A makes a movie, costing many millions of dollars.

B wants to watch this movie that cost so much to make, yet person B isn't paying anything.

What do you think?!

9. Watabou macrumors 68040

Watabou

It's cam quality which should basically give it away. And the only legal site to watch movies that I know of is Hulu.com.

10. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

I think the same thing, its the same logic that stops The Pirate Bay from being closed down, but that is a slightly different situation.

11. Cabo0s3 macrumors newbie

yes it totally legal

they DO NOT UPLOAD ANYTHING. they take previously uploaded links (stuff uploaded on other sites, and put all the links in one easy to access place) did you bother reading the DISCLAIMER on the watch-movies.net home page? judging from this pointless thread i'd say not. here.......

Disclaimer : WatchMovies.net is absolutly LEGAL. It only contains link to other sites on the internet \. (Rapidshare, 56.com, toudou.com, Veoh.com, etc) We do not host or upload any video, films, or media files. (avi, divx, etc ) WatchMovies.net is not responsible for the accuracy, compliance, copyright, legality, decency, or any other aspect of the content of the linked sites. If you have any legal issues please contact appropriate media file owners / hosters.

there. good waste of space on this forum. hope this sinks in some time this century. good day to you.

12. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

Adding a disclaimer doesn't make something legal.

But yes, it sounds like it ultimately is not legal. You could certainly argue that this specific site is legal, but acquiring the movie via the links it provides is not. The Pirate Bay example from PowerFullMac is dead on.

13. SamIchi macrumors 68030

SamIchi

If I told you where you could get some coke, would that be illegal? ;)

14. zebraman macrumors member

If its so illegal and so popular how come it hasnt been shut down?

15. mithrilfox macrumors regular

mithrilfox

You cannot call something illegal just because you think it's wrong, or that it "should be" illegal; to call something illegal, there must be very strong basis for finding it to be in violation of an actual law of the country or countries of jurisdiction.

Wrong or right is a different matter, so let's be careful not to use the word "wrong" interchangeably with "illegal;" they are two different things in many cases.

Merely watching them may or may not be legal, I'm not sure. Whoever is uploading the actual content, as well as videotaping the movies in the first place, *is* committing a known crime.

16. deputylove8 macrumors regular

deputylove8

hahha..if u aint paying for it..it aint legal.haha

17. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

18. benmrii macrumors 65816

benmrii

I dunno... um... let's find out? /pm

;)

19. cleanup macrumors 68030

cleanup

Isn't this site's legality iffy because they don't actually provide illegal content, they just provide people with the means to decide whether or not they want to watch it? I checked it out and all they do is link to external websites where you can watch movies. It's like all-uc.org, or a torrent site. There's nothing illegal on the site; you can still argue that it's in the wrong, but not on concrete, technical grounds.

[Edit] Sorry. Silly post and what I've said has already been said numerous times. I should've read the entire thread first. :)

20. gco212 macrumors 6502

Is google illegal because you can find a torrent on a website linked to google? If not, then this is fine.

21. iTeen macrumors 65816

iTeen

http://www.free-tv-video-online.info/

This site is legal, and it does the same thing but better.

Since it is only the links to the videos, and not the videos themselves that are hosted, it is not illegal.

22. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

Also legal is AllSP, which is good coz I use that site all the time! :p

23. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

On a technical level you are downloading these movies (anything you see on the internet has to be downloaded) and that's not legal.

24. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

D'ya really think that would stick in court?

"His computer needed to download it automatically into a TEMPORARY folder so he could view it, so I am suing him!"

Why not sue the internet for needing stuff to be downloaded to be viewed? :rolleyes:

25. r1ch4rd macrumors 6502a

r1ch4rd

If you view other illegal stuff online then it being saved to your hard drive temporarily is enough. When the file gets deleted it still remains on your hard drive and that can be recovered. It doesn't matter how long you had the file.

I'm not saying that watching a single movie is going to get you sued, but if you are doing enough to get that sort of attention then it can be held against you.

The internet isn't at fault for making you download things, you can download plenty of things legally!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.