Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cycocelica

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
Redmond, WA
I have said it before...

If you have to ask if something is illegal, it probably is.

Now that doesn't go for anything, but it appears that the website is having some maintenance so I can't tell if it is or not.

brian9271

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jan 31, 2008
Next door
Well you can watch all the new movies that came out, I'm surprised people who have uploaded those movies haven't got caught yet...

SunShineMan

macrumors newbie
Jun 15, 2008
Well from my understanding... its not illegal to watch movies because you are not downloading the movies or uploading them (the site is) and are not paying for them. The site its self is probably illegal in most countries that respect copy write laws. As for viewing it, legal, you should be fine... I hope.

SkyBell

macrumors 604
Sep 7, 2006
Texas, unfortunately.
Well from my understanding... its not illegal to watch movies because you are not downloading the movies or uploading them (the site is) and are not paying for them. The site its self is probably illegal in most countries that respect copy write laws. As for viewing it, legal, you should be fine... I hope.

Still, you're basically stealing movies, and legal or not, it's not ethical.

GfPQqmcRKUvP

macrumors 68040
Sep 29, 2005
Terminus
Let's use some logic here.

A makes a movie, costing many millions of dollars.

B wants to watch this movie that cost so much to make, yet person B isn't paying anything.

What do you think?!

Watabou

macrumors 68040
Feb 10, 2008
United States
It's cam quality which should basically give it away. And the only legal site to watch movies that I know of is Hulu.com.

PowerFullMac

macrumors 601
Oct 16, 2006

I think the same thing, its the same logic that stops The Pirate Bay from being closed down, but that is a slightly different situation.

Cabo0s3

macrumors newbie
Jun 26, 2008
yes it totally legal

Is watching movies on watch-movies.net illegal?

they DO NOT UPLOAD ANYTHING. they take previously uploaded links (stuff uploaded on other sites, and put all the links in one easy to access place) did you bother reading the DISCLAIMER on the watch-movies.net home page? judging from this pointless thread i'd say not. here.......

Disclaimer : WatchMovies.net is absolutly LEGAL. It only contains link to other sites on the internet \. (Rapidshare, 56.com, toudou.com, Veoh.com, etc) We do not host or upload any video, films, or media files. (avi, divx, etc ) WatchMovies.net is not responsible for the accuracy, compliance, copyright, legality, decency, or any other aspect of the content of the linked sites. If you have any legal issues please contact appropriate media file owners / hosters.

there. good waste of space on this forum. hope this sinks in some time this century. good day to you.

benmrii

macrumors 65816
Nov 14, 2007
FL
Adding a disclaimer doesn't make something legal.

But yes, it sounds like it ultimately is not legal. You could certainly argue that this specific site is legal, but acquiring the movie via the links it provides is not. The Pirate Bay example from PowerFullMac is dead on.

SamIchi

macrumors 68030
Aug 1, 2004
Adding a disclaimer doesn't make something legal.

But yes, it sounds like it ultimately is not legal. You could certainly argue that this specific site is legal, but acquiring the movie via the links it provides is not. The Pirate Bay example from PowerFullMac is dead on.

If I told you where you could get some coke, would that be illegal? ;)

mithrilfox

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2007
Japan
You cannot call something illegal just because you think it's wrong, or that it "should be" illegal; to call something illegal, there must be very strong basis for finding it to be in violation of an actual law of the country or countries of jurisdiction.

Wrong or right is a different matter, so let's be careful not to use the word "wrong" interchangeably with "illegal;" they are two different things in many cases.

Merely watching them may or may not be legal, I'm not sure. Whoever is uploading the actual content, as well as videotaping the movies in the first place, *is* committing a known crime.

cleanup

macrumors 68030
Jun 26, 2005
Toronto
Isn't this site's legality iffy because they don't actually provide illegal content, they just provide people with the means to decide whether or not they want to watch it? I checked it out and all they do is link to external websites where you can watch movies. It's like all-uc.org, or a torrent site. There's nothing illegal on the site; you can still argue that it's in the wrong, but not on concrete, technical grounds.

[Edit] Sorry. Silly post and what I've said has already been said numerous times. I should've read the entire thread first. :)

gco212

macrumors 6502a
Jul 21, 2004
Philadelphia
Isn't this site's legality iffy because they don't actually provide illegal content, they just provide people with the means to decide whether or not they want to watch it? I checked it out and all they do is link to external websites where you can watch movies. It's like all-uc.org, or a torrent site. There's nothing illegal on the site; you can still argue that it's in the wrong, but not on concrete, technical grounds.

[Edit] Sorry. Silly post and what I've said has already been said numerous times. I should've read the entire thread first. :)

Is google illegal because you can find a torrent on a website linked to google? If not, then this is fine.

r1ch4rd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2005
Manchester UK
On a technical level you are downloading these movies (anything you see on the internet has to be downloaded) and that's not legal.

PowerFullMac

macrumors 601
Oct 16, 2006
On a technical level you are downloading these movies (anything you see on the internet has to be downloaded) and that's not legal.

D'ya really think that would stick in court?

"His computer needed to download it automatically into a TEMPORARY folder so he could view it, so I am suing him!"

Why not sue the internet for needing stuff to be downloaded to be viewed? :rolleyes:

r1ch4rd

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2005
Manchester UK
D'ya really think that would stick in court?

"His computer needed to download it automatically into a TEMPORARY folder so he could view it, so I am suing him!"

Why not sue the internet for needing stuff to be downloaded to be viewed? :rolleyes:

If you view other illegal stuff online then it being saved to your hard drive temporarily is enough. When the file gets deleted it still remains on your hard drive and that can be recovered. It doesn't matter how long you had the file.

I'm not saying that watching a single movie is going to get you sued, but if you are doing enough to get that sort of attention then it can be held against you.

The internet isn't at fault for making you download things, you can download plenty of things legally!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.