Is Watch "speed" influenced by iPhone model it is paired with?

Discussion in 'Apple Watch' started by gwhizkids, May 20, 2017.

1. gwhizkids macrumors 68040

gwhizkids

I have a Series 0 Watch paired with an iPhone 6. Although WatchOS 3 made a significant difference in certain functions of the Watch, some apps still load somewhat sluggishly. I'm about to buy an iPhone 7 and am just curious as to whether the superior components onboard the 7 will also impact how fast the Watch does certain things? Or is all of that completely Watch-dependent now?

2. Newtons Apple macrumors Core

Newtons Apple

I would say it is mostly Watch dependent. Even though the faster phone might make a very small difference the bottleneck is the Watch with a limited I/O and CPU

3. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

The IPhone 7 really has no conjunction with the Apple Watch in terms of performance. The Apple Watch runs on its own processor and reflects whatever applications you transfer over from your iPhone to the Apple Watch.

It would actually be the opposite, if you upgraded your Apple Watch and retained your iPhone 6, then you would notice a speed increase with the S2 processor on the Series 1/2.

4. NukeDuke macrumors member

I have a series 2 Nike watch and a 7+ phone and the watch is still sluggish and slow at opening most apps.

5. throAU macrumors 603

throAU

I'd say that it might do depending on what you're doing, as a lot of the stuff is actually offloaded to the phone. If the phone is running slow, those things will run slow.

Not so much application open/close, but if the phone takes time to say, figure out navigation, then the watch will be waiting for it, as it doesn't do that itself.

6. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power

I would agree with you that it might have a reflection with the GPS function on the phone if that would make any difference at all with the speed and using the maps.

7. throAU macrumors 603

throAU

GPS was merely an example. I'm sure there's a lot more that is offloaded to the phone than just GPS.

8. Relentless Power macrumors Penryn

Relentless Power