Is what I want even possible?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Server, Xserve, and Networking' started by illegalprelude, Mar 8, 2009.

1. illegalprelude macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

Hey you guys, a question, im starting to slowly gather information on servers, etc cause Im tempted to build a home server cause I got a bunch of computers running around and it would be nice to have a server, not just file sharing enabled.

So for example, if I was running a server, would it be possible for example that my G5 and MB and iMac to all access the same music not in the sense of, file sharing where only the main computer has access to it and can manipulate it. So from any of these machines, they can change the info, they can rip cds and now they all have access to it. So they all basically run off the same iTunes library. Possible? Same said for iPhoto...

So anything else that comes to your mind that might be helpful is appreciated :)

2. tdgrn macrumors 6502

HP actually introduced a Media server that is compatible with Macs, I would look into that. I don't know if this is the exact answer to your question, but it would/should be something you look into.

3. illegalprelude thread starter macrumors 68000

illegalprelude

hey thanks for the reply man (little dead on this side of the forum huh?). Ive seen that unit and I can actually create my own server if need by, so my issue isnt so much hardware as is Software. Meaning does Leopard support this or do I need leopard server and does that even support it. The info I gathered from Apples site on Leopard server dosent really address my needs and so I dont know who else to ask sense Server info isnt wide spread.

4. bearbo macrumors 68000

bearbo

You have a few ways to sort of achieve what you want.

1. Have all your accounts on all the computers point to the same photo library, music library (the iTunes Library file), and music collection (the iTunes Music folder). This way everyone everywhere will be accessing the identical stuff. Problem with this approach is that only one instance of the iPhoto or iTunes library can be accessed at a given time. So if I'm on my MBP accessing the iTunes library, no one else on the MBP or any other computer can access it. Of course, to do this, you need to put the library at a network share that's accessible by everyone, with the correct permission.

2. For music library, you can have everyone share the same music collection (the iTunes Music folder) but maintain their own music library. That means if I import a CD, you won't see it unless you import it too (but of course, without copying it again).

3. You can also have everyone have their own libraries, and use various sync tools to sync them. The problem with this approach is that iTunes saves its library on quit. That means you might have iTunes library on one computer overwrite one on the other computer which also had made changes.

You can also do a combination of these, for example, people in each computer share the very same iTunes library, and sync between different computers. And perhaps if not everyone needs to have iPhoto opens all the time, you can share the iPhoto on the network.

Hopefully this helps.