is where a way to run an app on a completely empty screen?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Quarksbar, Jan 7, 2015.

1. Quarksbar macrumors newbie

Hi guys, thanks for your time. I have a Yosemite question. Is where a way, to run an app, lets say Kindle or Text Edit, not in full screen mode, but rather as a regular window, but on a completely empty and blank desktop? I have lots of folders and apps sitting on my desktop, and sometimes I just want to concentrate on what I do, remove any clutter, and have a simple black back, no toolbars, no desktop folders / icons, not even a top menu bar, and simply run a small window app in a middle. With apps like kindle or text edit running in full screen on 27" display is not useable for me. Thanks in a advance.

2. Quarksbar thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks... I was hoping to find a way that would hide the icons I have on a desktop as well (files, folders, etc), and hopefully even hide a top menu

3. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

In your first post, you said you wanted a completely empty and blank desktop. Now you want the file and folder icons on your desktop. Which is it? You don't want to hide the Menu Bar, as it contains controls for whatever app you're using. One method is to hold Option and Command and click on the Desktop to hide everything. Then click on the app you want to show.

4. Quarksbar thread starter macrumors newbie

I'm sorry. Both times I meant to say to get a completely empty screen with an app window in a middle. Hide all desktop icons, dock, and even maybe a top menu. Kind of like running a full screen app but with an app window smaller in a middle of the screen.

5. Quarksbar thread starter macrumors newbie

Could you please help one more time what I'm doing wrong. While using spaces each space will have all of my desktop icons exactly the same on each space. My understanding it only helps to move open apps but not the icons you have on your desktop

6. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

This might help : https://itunes.apple.com/fr/app/hiddenme-hide-desktop-icons/id467040476?mt=12

For the menu bar : http://osxdaily.com/2011/02/24/hide-mac-menu-bar/

(never tested myself)

You might also create an app with Applescript to hide the Dock and the desktop icons.

You are correct.

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Creating a new Space will not hide desktop icons or the Dock. It just gives you a new workspace with only the active apps that you select for that space. If you want a clean desktop, move your desktop icons into a folder and put it somewhere else, perhaps with a link to it on your Dock, so it's readily available.

8. chown33 macrumors 604

Try this and see if it still works in Yosemite:
    http://hints.macworld.com/article.php?story=20110720194443325

I think there's also a contextual-click on the Desktop itself, and a menu-item says something like "Change Background Picture".

Also try changing what item appear on the desktop in each space. IIRC that's a Finder preference, or under View Options. I forget.

9. Quarksbar thread starter macrumors newbie

10. Bruno09 macrumors 68020

I had just put this together for you : here

Put this app in the Dock.

When you run it, it activates the Dock autohide and hides the desktop's icons.

Run it again (from the hidden Dock) and it will unhide the Dock and the icons.

11. Quarksbar thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you! I will give it a try and let you know