Is white a good colour to choose?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by daveredfern, Oct 21, 2011.

1. daveredfern, Oct 21, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2011

daveredfern macrumors newbie

Hello all,

I have purchased a white iphone 4s and love the design and colour. I am returning because of a fault with the camera.

I have noticed that the build quality has to be perfect on the white else you notice every imperfection. For example the white rim and the glass has to match perfectly else you get a thin black line which looks horrible.

I am in the process of reordering another 4s and wondering whether I should stick with white and trust it will be perfect build quality and won't get dirty quickly over time or go safe and get black.

Things I have noticed on mine:

- The camera is not flush with the case but at a slight angle.
    - There is a hairline gap between the glass and case on the front where it looks like it isn't glued together properly.
    - Around the edge of the screen is is not quite white. Almost like the screen edge of the screen is showing through the white.
    - Around the logo on the back you can see a similar off white colour as if white is not thick enough to hide all the elements behind.

Has anyone else experienced any imperfections with the build quality? If you had the choice would you still get the white again? I hate cases so is anyone else worried about it getting dirty?

I love the white in pictures and in theory but not sure if you head should lead over my heart in this case.

Thanks

Dave.

PICTURES: http://www.dropbox.com/gallery/195580/1/phones?h=43bb4f

2. rgarjr macrumors 603

rgarjr

Can u take some pictures of your phone? That's the bad thing about white, u will easily notice any little imperfections. I'm sure the black ones have the same but u can't see them.

I know what u mean about tiny black gaps, it almost looks like dirt but it's not.

3. mrsir2009 macrumors 604

mrsir2009

The white iPhone will show dirt more, however on the other hand, the black iPhone shows dust more. Its a hard one, isn't it?

4. daveredfern thread starter macrumors newbie

@mrsir2009 - Ye - dust, scratches and finger prints vs dirt

@rgarjr - Yes i'll take some pics and post them when I get home.

Seeing the elements such as edge of screen and apple logo is only in certain lights (inside the house at night etc). In bright sunlight it is brilliant white.

5. daveredfern thread starter macrumors newbie

6. 96whitels macrumors member

96whitels

If you like it, yes. It comes down to preference.

Go to the Apple store to see what its like in person.

7. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

That is likely to be within production tolerances. IJS

8. daveredfern thread starter macrumors newbie

I completely agree but also feel that none of these would be an issue on the black models. I have since switched it for a black purely because if I see these on the phone it will bug me every time I look at it!

9. HazyCloud macrumors 68030

HazyCloud

Where will it show dirt more? It's glass, it's not like it's made of cotton.

10. daveredfern thread starter macrumors newbie

Around the edge of the glass where it is rubberised I assume?

11. MarcBook macrumors 6502a

MarcBook

My white iPhone has the slight gaps in places around the glass. I'm pretty sure that's normal and nothing to worry about. The black iPhones have the exact same thing, but you just can't see it. The shadow effect you get with the white iPhones makes it noticeable.

The camera on mine sticks out a tiny, tiny bit in relation to the glass around it. It was the same on my iPhone 4 and I've gone for the same solution: back protector, which raises the phone up enough to stop the camera touching flat surfaces.

12. BoxerGT2.5 macrumors 68000

BoxerGT2.5

No it won't be an issue on a black, you don't have the contrast. It's called OCD.

13. daneoni macrumors G4

daneoni

Mine is the epitome of perfection. No discernible flaws.