Is Wi-Fi free...

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by atcs17, Jan 7, 2008.

1. atcs17 macrumors newbie

..or does it cost money?
    Because when I connected my iPod to the computer, I filled in these questions like my name + address, so they know where to send the bill lol.

I haven't read anywhere that it should cost, so yeah, it might be a stupid question, but I really want to know the answer to it. :p

Thanks in advance.

2. JSchwage macrumors 6502a

JSchwage

WiFi on your iPod Touch is 100% free! Unless you're using a paid WiFi hotspot of course.

3. atcs17 thread starter macrumors newbie

And that is..?

4. dgriff21 macrumors newbie

its free unless the wifi service provider charges you for it, in which case you'll get a screen come up requesting credit card payment before you can access any web pages. This is usually in places like Starbucks or Airports and hotels etc. If its a home or work network which you have password access to, or a free wifi service (perhaps in a library) then you won't get charged. Apple doesn't charge you for anything. Those details you filled in were just for registering

5. atcs17 thread starter macrumors newbie

6. quicklook2 macrumors 6502

quicklook2

that was for registration, not wifi access.

i advise you to be a little less free with personal info until you know where it is going and for why it is being asked in the future.

7. lennyhope macrumors newbie

Try The Cloud. You pay £3.99 for a month at a time. Specially for the ipod Touch. Wi Fimavailable at many locations and all McDonalds.

8. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

All of the places near me are Cloud wifis. If you don't pay £3.99 a month and want to go pay as you go, it's £3.99 for 30 mins of browsing. Scandalous I say! I'd love to be able to check my email in the pub! Probably a good thing that I can't though.

9. ikklejo macrumors regular

Apparently, JD wetherspoon pubs offers a 30 min voucher with every drink or food order??!!
    Sounds good to me cheap beer and Wi Fi:)
    Also i have been on a few hot spot search websites and most pubs offer some kind of Wi Fi.
    J

10. ikklejo macrumors regular

i'm off to the pub tonight, as i have not been able to get online with it yet, free public Wi Fi dont seem to wanna work (I'm at work, so able lots of people are on it!?):( and i really wanna try it out.
    Its a good excuse anyway:)

11. yorkslad macrumors regular

I thought Cloud WiFi was free or is it just free for iPhones? Or have I got it completely wrong and its not free for either?

12. stockcerts macrumors 65816

I am considering getting a Touch as an interim step to getting an IPhone. Besides the fact that a Touch is a very cool Ipod, I am interested in it for its Wifi capabilities. I'm also hoping that I can sync with my Mac to update calendar info.

Those of you that have a Touch....do you find that wifi availability is easy to come by these days, without paying? I think it's a rip-off that some hotels and airports still charge for wifi. San Francisco is moving in the direction of having wifi free through out the city.

Last question, for those of you that use .Mac, is their any benefits of the Touch in relation to .Mac?

Thanks!

13. quicklook2 macrumors 6502

quicklook2

14. TheDPR macrumors member

Very hit and miss. I find you're more likely to find a free unsecured connection in residential areas like apartment buildings than in commercial districts (which all seem to be either paid or password protected). There are some cities and towns now that offer free wifi zones. For example, the little town of Bland, VA has free wifi throughout the town limits. Downtown Roanoke has a free wifi zone that is something like 4 x 4 blocks.

Try here: http://www.wififreespot.com/

15. calculus Guest

calculus

It's free (or more accurately 'included') for iPhones

16. agentkow macrumors 6502

agentkow

I find it readily available here in Vancouver, Canada, but then again, we have a higher rate of people having high-speed internet access than the States.

However, I've been surprised to find that most restaurant chains have it (for business lunches, I guess) for free, not to mention residential networks, coffee shops, schools, etc.