Is Wifi always on now?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by bahooki, Jun 21, 2010.

1. bahooki macrumors regular

I thought I read the feature they were adding was that you could toggle it so wifi never went to sleep, or hibernate, whatever they call it, so that IM apps and texting apps on a Touch could stay active. I'm seeing what I think is the Wifi on all the time, and I'm now getting alerts from Beejive when someone texts me, but I see no setting anywhere to turn this off. Is it simply on with no option to turn it off?

2. outphase macrumors 65816

Persistent wifi is only on the iPod Touch due to its lack of connectivity otherwise. Those Beejive alerts are via push notifications over your cellular carrier.

3. -aggie- macrumors P6

-aggie-

IIRC, there’s supposed to be a setting to turn that feature off or on. Look in settings (sorry I haven’t DLed OS 4.0 yet).

Edit: Oh, you have a Touch. See above.

4. bahooki thread starter macrumors regular

Yeah, I imagine when I get my iPhone 4 the phone will sleep wifi and Beejive will do its push thing via cellular, but when I was reading about the new features for the Touch, I had read there's an option to have persistent wifi. I see no way to turn that off, but what I am seeing is that the signal strength drops to its lowest when I sleep the Touch. Regardless its working and Beejive is pushing me alerts about new texts and IMs. Just worried about huge hits to battery life.

5. Arne macrumors regular