Is wifi on when iPhone autolocks?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by M. Malone, Apr 10, 2008.

1. M. Malone macrumors 6502a

M. Malone

so I can't find the answer to this, my iPhone is set to check mail regularly, when it's in my pocket and has auto locked, will it use wifi to check the mail or edge?

also, can somebody give me a nice fact sheet about the iPhone, I personally like to know how the iPhone behaves in the background. I'm sure there's a page that describes all of these things.

2. PowerFullMac macrumors 601

PowerFullMac

When the phone is sleeping the WiFi is turned off, I think.

3. Kaspers macrumors regular

Kaspers

I'm sure WiFi is turned off.
    When my iPhone is locked, my email will always be checked over GRPS... (I here those signals over my FM-radio)

4. arkitect macrumors 601

arkitect

When I unlock my iPhone it searches for a wifi signal… so I would assume (dangerous, I know) that wifi is off when the phone is locked.

5. Ninja Dom macrumors 6502

Ninja Dom

That is actually an interesting question. I always assumed that wifi was being used in sleep mode.

6. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

7. waterskier2007 macrumors 68000

waterskier2007

is there evidence of this?

8. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

It definitely turns off. At least it does on mine. It has to reacquire WiFi every time I unlock it, even if I never went out of range.

9. nickspohn macrumors 68040

nickspohn

Proof:

go to www.seeqpod.com
    type in a song that is long
    let it start to stream
    press the sleep button
    turn the iphone back on, slide to unlock
    the phone is still streaming it at the same speed.

BUT, if its for a longer time, then yeah it turns off. That shouldn't matter though, should it?

10. Applepi macrumors 6502a

Applepi

11. speakerwizard macrumors 68000

speakerwizard

its off, unless its a trusted network and the ipod is auto-checking mail, if you are streaming, i think it will continue, but this might switch from wi-fi to edge, not 100% on that.

12. gftx73 macrumors newbie

I have a server in my house that assigns IPs dynamically (DHCP). So - JUST FOR YOU ;) - I tested it.

My iPhone was on - connected via wifi. I logged into my server and saw the IP/MAC address in use. I locked my phone. I looked at my server - a few seconds after a refresh, it showed the IP available and the MAC address was not listed in the connected list.

So - based on THAT - I would say it disconnects when you lock the phone. Probably to conserve its already dismal battery life :)

Hope this helps.

g

13. aross99 macrumors 68000

aross99

If you have an Airport Extreme Base Station, you can use the Airport Utility to see the wireless clients that are connected to the base station. Putting my iPhone to sleep removed it from the base station list, so I am sure Wi-Fi is NOT active.

Click on the Advanced icon in the utility, then the Logs and Statistics button, and then Wireless Clients. You have to know your MAC addresses, but you can see all of your wireless clients when they are connected...

14. mofolo macrumors newbie

mine turns off,

there is an fix for this in installer.

I can't remember what its called however it keeps wifi on during sleep mode.

Battery Drainer.

15. hexonxonx macrumors 601

WiFi is always off while the iPhone is sleeping.

How do I know? I had one iPhone setup using a GoPhone Sim. I would always forget to close the weather app when I would put the iPhone to sleep. Well, after a few hours, I would remember what I did and every few minutes the weather app would update, charging me three cents each update.

I was also listening to FlyTunes once on that same iPhone and put the iPhone to sleep. An hour later, it drained my account balance.

So yes, it always switches to edge while sleeping.

16. sainaka macrumors newbie

wifi always on !

If you want wifi always on, while sleeping, need to jailbrake and install "Insomnia", you can get it from installer, i use it for long downloads while my iphone is locked.

17. goApple12 macrumors newbie

this worked for me

though by default apple turns off wifi after 4-5 min when screen is locked, i wanted by wifi to be turned on all the time when it is locked. none of the apps in cydia worked on my iphone 4 running 5.1.1. Tried keepawake, insomnia, prevent sleep, wifi port. None.
    There is a weird workaround though. Use iRss notification widget along with ScreenDim. Set auto lock to never. iRss contacts with the server every 1 min or so and keeps ur wifi turned on always and screendim shuts down the screen of ur iphone, no need to lock the phone anymore.

Hope this helps.

18. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

19. goApple12 macrumors newbie

lol.. just came across the page.. thought of posting it..