Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Tragedies

macrumors 6502
Aug 4, 2007
Melbourne, Australia
The Touch is more advanced obviously then the Nano and Classic. Currently Touchs are going very cheap on eBay (300 AUS for 16GB new), so take that into account.

Wi-Fi is a huge advantage for the touch, over the Nano and Classic. Without Wi-Fi, it's still an excellent media player, and PDA (with all the applications currently being released). Has everything a Nano and Classic does, but larger and touch screen, applications, a few more tidbits (like the calculator and such).

It all comes down on what you want from a MP3 player, and the costs (keep in mind the September rumored events, and the current eBay prices, as they're starting to go back up again due to the school offer ending soon.)

Insulin Junkie

macrumors 65816
May 5, 2008
Mainland Europe
WiFi was the main reason I got mine... as someone else pointed out I wouldn't have been prepared to pay that kind of price for smaller storage capacity if I didn't plan to use the big screen for a lot of WiFi'ing and keep it as a small personal organizer.
Some of the installer apps convinced me too. Some of those apps I'd be well prepared to pay a good price for, I still can't believe they're all free.:)

iRyann

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2008
London
I live in a rural area that doesn't have much public WiFi. I probably wouldn't use it even if it was available.

Does anyone here not use WiFi and still feel that the Touch is useful?

Let's be serious. The :apple: iPod Touch just would just be another iPod without the WiFi and Touch Screen. If Your not going to use WiFi then it's not really worth getting it.

SaSaSushi

macrumors 601
Aug 8, 2007
Takamatsu, Japan
Let's be serious. The :apple: iPod Touch just would just be another iPod without the WiFi and Touch Screen. If Your not going to use WiFi then it's not really worth getting it.

It is rather presumptuous to project your own personal opinions upon others. Yes, wifi is a key component of the iPod Touch (I use it on mine constantly) but not using it certainly doesn't render it "not worth getting" for all users.

The touch screen and the wifi are separate features, by the way. :p

iRyann

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2008
London
It is rather presumptuous to project your own personal opinions upon others. Yes, wifi is a key component of the iPod Touch (I use it on mine constantly) but not using it certainly doesn't render it "not worth getting" for all users.

The touch screen and the wifi are separate features, by the way. :p

Fair dues, maybe I came across a bit too much. iTouch is amazing and a very worthwhile gadget to have. Even if you don't use the wifi. Must have gadget!

Night Spring

macrumors G5
Jul 17, 2008
I'd like to note that one of the features I find amazing about the Touch is its crisp rendering of font -- tiny fonts that you'd think would be too small to read can be read comfortably. It's a feature that's technically separate from its wifi capabilities, though it's most useful when reading webpages, which you need wifi to connect to.

Antares

macrumors 68000
I hardly use the wifi on my Touch. I mainly use it for movies when I travel and "some" music. The screen is wonderful for that. Plus, with all the new apps and games you can throw on it, the Touch is more than worthwhile. Wifi is really only a minor selling point for me, although it's a cool one and nice to have.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.