Is Windows defender good enough to protect Windows laptops?

Discussion in 'Alternatives to Mac Hardware' started by hajime, Oct 14, 2018.

?

How do you protect your Windows laptops against virus?

1. Just use Windows defender which came pre-installed on Windows 10

23 vote(s)
    95.8%
  2. Use other 3rd part software such as Norton Internet Security or Norton Antivirus

1 vote(s)
    4.2%
  1. hajime macrumors 603

Hi, I am a long term user of Norton Internet Security. I use it in my Windows 7 partition under bootcamp. As Windows was not my main OS, I did not care about Norton Internet Security's effect on battery life. Now I need to as I am switching to Windows laptop as my main machine on the go.

After switching to Windows laptop, do you just use the built-in Windows defender which came with Windows 10 or use other anti-virus software such as Norton Internet Security/Antivirus?

2. SDColorado Contributor

SDColorado

That’s all I use. I update it twice a day, when I start using the AM and when I am done in the PM. It has just become a part of routine. But I don’t surf the dark web, don’t on email attachment or follow links from any sender not known to me, etc.

So between some common sense safe practices and Windows Defender, I haven’t had any issues

3. keysofanxiety macrumors G3

keysofanxiety

I'd use MalwareBytes along with Windows Defender. Most of the "viruses" you'll encounter are just malware.

Norton is more trouble than it's worth, such a resource hog. If you're going third party, I'd use a free AV like Avast.

4. hajime thread starter macrumors 603

That is my main concern. Thanks

5. SDColorado Contributor

SDColorado

Good point about Malware Bytes, I also use that. I downloaded Norton once because it was a free service from my ISP, but even for free I did not like it.

6. sracer macrumors G3

sracer

I think it depends upon one's usage. If you frequently visit sketchy parts of the internet, then I too recommend a 3rd party tool like Avast. Whenever I feel the need to use something more than Defender, that is what I use.

But I have found that using Defender + an ad blocker extension on my browser + something like MalwareBytes + common sense, I am as safe on a Windows system as one can reasonably be.

7. Queen6 macrumors 604

Queen6

Flying over the rainforest at dawn - Priceless
    Windows Defender, occasional scan with Emsisoft Emergency Kit and Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool, never a problem. I like the Emsisoft & Kaspersky scanners as they are standalone on demand only, so have no interaction with the system. Also use AdGuard adblocker and always a secure VPN.

Q-6

8. hajime thread starter macrumors 603

I cannot find "Kaspersky Virus Removal Tool" from their website. Is it free?

9. Queen6 macrumors 604

Queen6

10. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

I also just mostly use Windows Defender and occasionally will manually run Malwarebytes if I need to download something from a software mirror or someplace like Github.

11. maflynn Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

I also run windows defender, and malwarebytes but I may upgrade to another antivirus app. My kids use my laptop for homework and its frequently in windows (its a MBP), so an extra level of protection may be worthwhile.

12. Queen6, Oct 17, 2018
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2018

Queen6 macrumors 604

Queen6

Forgot I also use VoodooShield, which works rather the opposite of most AV in that it only allows "whitelisted" applications to run, anything else VoodooShield blocks unless you explicitly approve the application. Think of it like UAC on steroids that also references VirusTotal, it's a very smart idea...

Note; For such whitelisting application you do need some knowledge how the application works, although for me VoodooShield has been completely painless and I have the application set to always on, which blocks everything regardless of the systems connectivity unless already whitelisted.

Q-6

13. twalk macrumors regular

Protecting the browser is often now more important than protecting the computer. I use UBlock Origin, not only for ad blocking, but for stopping a lot of unwanted website garbage (including malicious things). Running Ghostery in addition is even better, but you do need a bit more knowledge with it, because it can disable key parts of websites

14. hajime thread starter macrumors 603

Is it better to run Malwarebytes after downloading things from places like Github?

15. hajime thread starter macrumors 603

16. SDColorado Contributor

SDColorado

Home premium is better as if will actively prevent malware, etc. The free will only help remove it retroactively.

17. hajime thread starter macrumors 603

Thanks. So in this case even it make hog some resources such as battery life, it is still better than removing it retroactively?

18. SDColorado Contributor

SDColorado

You can always turn off active protection whenever you want on the Premium version, but you can never turn it on for the free version.

I would suggest is downloading the 15-day free trial and decide from there. Alternatively, you could use the Lenovo WiFi security, which appears to be based on a version of Coronet Personal WiFi Security. I have not used it, so can't say how good or bad it is.

19. phillytim, Nov 5, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 5, 2018

phillytim macrumors 65816

phillytim

My long-standing advice is for MalwareBytes, if one is compelled to spend money on Windows protection; otherwise, Windows Defender protects the majority of users completely fine.