Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Damn that's rough, I think if I were in the same situation I'd either look for a cheap chromebook, they would be the most secure tolerable option out of the box, or a virtual machine (but macOS is just a pain as a VM and for windows you do need a second license or frequent reinstalls)

I think somebody poked his/her nose as I saw debris on the keyboard!

It took over 10 minutes to be able to use the machine from the moment the machine was turned on because it still uses old hard drive and it needs to launch some kind of apps. Computers for students use ssd as storage so it took 2-3 minutes only.

Last edited:

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
I have been mainly using Windows 10 for a year. I don't find anything that I can do under Mac OS but not under Windows. Windows 10 is also stable compared with older generations 20-30 years ago. My experience so far is that Windows is as reliable as Mac OS.

StellarVixen

macrumors 68040
Mar 1, 2018
Somewhere between 0 and 1
Depends.

For someone who uses command line a lot (like me), Windows is torture. Plain and simple.

They are trying, though, they are really trying to improve it (brought bash to windows, overhauled the Terminal), but...what is ill conceived, cannot be really fixed. That is why Windoze will be far behind anything *NIX for foreseeable future.

Further, I can see why some people say Windows is just as good as Mac OS. Take a photographer, for example: they will find that PS/Lightroom work well on Windows as they do on Mac, and therefore will see nothing wrong with using windows. Another example, take video editor, who used Adobe Premiere on Mac, he will see adjust to Adobe Premiere on Windows just fine. There are countless people with various professions that can switch between OS-es like it's nothing.

Reactions: hajime

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
That is why Windoze will be far behind anything *NIX for foreseeable future.
For you, not for everyone ;) For my needs the current cmd shell is fine, but then I'm not a developer. I have played with the bash shell in windows its a nice feature but later versions are said to be using an actual Linux kernel instead of emulating the APIs - that should help

My experience so far is that Windows is as reliable as Mac OS.
I'll give a nod to macOS, I do think its a little more stable. Not by much but it is. I find when I wake up my laptop the monitor doesn't always wake and I have to unplug and replug my dongle (that has the displayport port) to wake up the monitor. Its not consistent, but it does happen enough that it can a bit annoying.

I've incurred crashes in both macOS and Windows, both tend to be a rarity

Frankied22

macrumors 68000
Nov 24, 2010
This line right here. If you even tried to set up Python virtual environment in *NIX system and Windows, you would see why most of the people just do not want to go through that.

What's so hard about it? I just recently setup python on my windows pc and didn't find it very hard at all to setup the path and be able to launch py scripts from cmd.

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
For you, not for everyone ;) For my needs the current cmd shell is fine, but then I'm not a developer. I have played with the bash shell in windows its a nice feature but later versions are said to be using an actual Linux kernel instead of emulating the APIs - that should help

I'll give a nod to macOS, I do think its a little more stable. Not by much but it is. I find when I wake up my laptop the monitor doesn't always wake and I have to unplug and replug my dongle (that has the displayport port) to wake up the monitor. Its not consistent, but it does happen enough that it can a bit annoying.

I've incurred crashes in both macOS and Windows, both tend to be a rarity

On my desktop PC, if I don't turn on the TV monitor before turning on the PC, there is a very gigh schamce that I get No Signal error on my TV. People said it is common on my motherboard brand. So could be Windows?

I remember using CP/M and Apple's post-dos. Not fun to use.
[automerge]1572473755[/automerge]
This line right here. If you even tried to set up Python virtual environment in *NIX system and Windows, you would see why most of the people just do not want to go through that.

Are you referring to those docker things?

Reactions: Cape Dave

c0ppo

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2013
Unless you are a .NET developer, or any kind of windows/AAA-game-dev, Windows is really a pain to use.
Want a true remote desktop? Nahh... When you install python, you get a shell exe which adds a feature to do 'python' things. Not native, and way more cumbersome then using python on linux. Same thing for node.js, same thing for git, same thing for...

Want to use curl? Nope, you have to use http GET. Or install some obscure 3rd party tool to emulate what you have natively on Linux/Mac.

Installing any framework for any language is so elegant on linux. And will work like a charm. Because it's built for *nix. Come to think of it, almost entire web is built using *nix. And so, everything works natively. On Windows it feels and is an emulation of the real thing. You need to use obscure tools, and a lot of workarounds.

MS missed the boat when web is concerned. They also missed the mobile phones boat. But lately with the change of CEO, they are really trying to get back into the game. And I give them credit for that. But I highly doubt they will be able to do it, but I am cheering for them that they do accomplish it.

After all, more choices is better for me as individual, and as a developer.

skaertus

macrumors 601
Feb 23, 2009
Brazil
I suppose both Windows and macOS are very reliable at this point. Lack of reliability should not be used as an excuse to justify the purchase of a Mac. If the user has a personal preference over macOS, he should buy a Mac instead of a PC, even being more expensive. A Mac definitely has its charms and is usually a great machine. But Windows reliability issues, at least in my experience, are things of the past.

Reactions: Queen6

derekamoss

macrumors 65816
Jul 18, 2002
Houston, TX
have you tried surfaceforums.net? it's not active in new posts put if you put post a problem you will get help quick and they wont stop till its figured out.When the surface pro 3 and windows 10 insider began that boaed was awesome now its stagnated but you will get help quick, just not really social anymore,
Yeah they are really good over there.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
I had good impression on Windows 10 during a year of use but the following situation makes me want to return to MacOS as the main OS again. Why Windows changes the dates when copying files from a backup drive to another machine? For people who change machines often and want to keep the original dates, this is a big trouble.

foreteller

Suspended
Nov 18, 2019
Windows 10 is okay. It's not a pleasure to use like the Mac or iOS. I'd say given it's horrific past for reliability it's a lot less so than the Mac. Some people just like to pretend it's not. Cue the typical Macrumors quote changing my post and replacing it to sound the opposite. This sub-forum is notoriously biased and anti-Apple, that's why the rest of us keep the haters locked up in this Alternatives to Mac section ;)

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Why Windows changes the dates when copying files from a backup drive to another machine?
There's an easy fix for that and a quick google provides the answer.

For people who change machines often
I have to say most people, like 99% of computer users do not change machines as often as you do.

I wouldn't see this as a shortcoming of windows, just a difference in how windows handles file management. Think about it, copying a file, you are creating a brand new file on the target machine and with that in mind, you can see the logic of a new file date.

Either way, the fix is easy enough.

Reactions: eltoslightfoot

foreteller

Suspended
Nov 18, 2019
I wouldn't see this as a shortcoming of windows, just a difference in how windows handles file management.
"I wouldn't see iOS file management as a shortcoming of iOS, just a difference in how iOS handles file management"

You sir, are notorious for double standards for Apple vs Non-Apple goods in your posts...

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
There's an easy fix for that and a quick google provides the answer.

I have to say most people, like 99% of computer users do not change machines as often as you do.

I wouldn't see this as a shortcoming of windows, just a difference in how windows handles file management. Think about it, copying a file, you are creating a brand new file on the target machine and with that in mind, you can see the logic of a new file date.

Either way, the fix is easy enough.

Do you mean the command line?

Usually I change MBP every 2-3 years. This time is unusual due to the keyboard, lack of nvidia gpu, t2 chip in preventing installation of Linux, etc. So I tried various Thinkpad and concluded that if I don't want noisy machine, I need to get a heavy one which caused backpain.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Do you mean the command line?
Yep. robocopy, I use that on servers and works great

Edit: I don't know if you're trying to go to a Mac with that, and so let me just put it out, that I don't know what will work if you're accessing mac resources from a PC and pushing the files.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
Yep. robocopy, I use that on servers and works great

But if I selectively copy some files and folders but not all, it may be a bit of a hassle. Googling leads to some software with GUI to get the job done but I don't know if they are doggie or legit.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
But if I selectively copy some files and folders but not all, it may be a bit of a hassle. Googling leads to some software with GUI to get the job done but I don't know if they are doggie or legit.
What are you trying to copy - data from the PC to your new MBP or to another location?

I agree that robocopy isn't a great tool if you are selectively certain files.

hajime

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jul 23, 2007
What are you trying to copy - data from the PC to your new MBP or to another location?

I agree that robocopy isn't a great tool if you are selectively certain files.

Three cases here:

1. When I changed from one Windows laptop to the other, usually I just copied the files/folders to a usb stick or other external storage device. Then, connected the usb device to the new laptop and dragged and dropped the files/folder. After doing it for a few times in a year, I noticed that date change issue.

2. If I use Mac OS as the main device, will the original dates of files/folders remain the same if I just drag and drop these files/folders from external usb device to the MBP running Mac OS?

3. Will the dates of files/folders remain the same if I just drag and drop these files/folders from external usb device to Windows running on the Mac? Be Windows running natively via bootcamp or via Parallels.

LeeW

macrumors 601
Feb 5, 2017
Over here
Having used Windows again way more over the last few months than in the last 5 years I am pretty happy with it. Like any OS, there are times you can have a nightmare of an experience with it. But overall it has given me no issues in fact there have been many times I have been like "oh, that just worked" where there have been plenty of times with macOS I know I am going to be "how am I going to make this work", then Linux is "Why do I have to do all the work here.."

For someone who uses command line a lot (like me), Windows is torture. Plain and simple.

That right there, me too. Command-line all the way, but Windows, WTF, what is this alien language that requires me to type 500 characters when 15 will do on any other OS :) . But then for Windows is being itself, no average user will ever (rarely) open PowerShell or even want to.

Falhófnir

macrumors 603
Aug 19, 2017
Reliable? No. In fact, I find Windows to be more resilient than MacOS is.

But featureful and easy to use? For that, it's very dependent on your workflow.
In one important aspect Windows is still miles ahead - snapping and window management are a delight while you're dragging windows around manually or using a quite clunky split screen set up on MacOS. Other than that I find a bit of give and take between the two, I prefer spotlight on Mac to searching in Windows, but find the file directory somehow more intuitive on Windows than Finder on Mac. The trackpad is obviously better on Macs, but then usually using a mouse with a windows laptop is no big deal either. Probably get about the same amount of crashes and glitches on each when adjusted for me using the Mac more.

Reactions: jrichards1408

Heelpir8

macrumors regular
Feb 13, 2019
In one important aspect Windows is still miles ahead - snapping and window management are a delight while you're dragging windows around manually or using a quite clunky split screen set up on MacOS. Other than that I find a bit of give and take between the two, I prefer spotlight on Mac to searching in Windows, but find the file directory somehow more intuitive on Windows than Finder on Mac. The trackpad is obviously better on Macs, but then usually using a mouse with a windows laptop is no big deal either. Probably get about the same amount of crashes and glitches on each when adjusted for me using the Mac more.

The Magnet app has really saved my bacon when it comes to window management in macOS.

Reactions: thejadedmonkey
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.