Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Is winterboard 1 to avoid? alternatives?

RolledUp20s

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2011
Wrexham, North Wales
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0_1 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A406 Safari/7534.48.3)

Ive read that winterboard is a battery drainer & a main cause of springboard to crash. Any longtime Jailbrakers care to share their knowledge on this?

I've tried dreamboard but find the themes are too over the top.

I like some of the tweeks I can do with springtomize, SBS.

When I look to changing app icons..to HD versions, or just some different cool icons - winterboard keeps popping its ugly head up. Most of the icon descriptions tell you it's for winterboard, however..some don't, then it goes ahead an installs winterboard aswel.

I'm new to JB & not sure I want to go editing the folders/files myself to change icons like some of you do.
Is there something outthere that unlocks an editing option to icons? So I can just select from camera roll?

Cheers

TaterToT

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2009
OK
Winterboard works great for me, not sure why some people claim that it's a bad app to have.

Comment

SL4VE

macrumors 6502
Aug 19, 2010
WB will drain your battery slightly faster or loads more faster depending on the theme your running with widgets etc updating weather every min etc etc

its best to determine how much your willing to sacrifice or offset against looks vs drainage. although i strongly disagree with turning off features (esp stock) to compensate for batt life, it should work well out the box imo

Comment

Gix1k

macrumors 68040
Jun 16, 2008
Works fine on my 4S. I only have it adding one theme and nothing else.

Comment

nepalisherpa

macrumors 68020
Aug 15, 2011
USA
I have never had any issues with Winterboard starting with iPhone 3G! It could be a burden on battery if you have themes with live wallpaper, clock, or weather that gets updated every 10 seconds, etc.

Comment

coolhands

macrumors regular
Oct 18, 2011
I have a theme and tweaks to go with the theme (equix) as well as other small things loaded here. No slowing down and no loss in battery.

Comment

Rennir

macrumors 6502
Jan 13, 2012
Can someone with technical knowledge explain how winterboard/themes work (ie what part of the software they modify and elucidate whether this takes extra ram/drains the battery even slightly, etc.) I'm really interested in some of the themes but I'm unwilling to sacrifice any battery, speed or stability so I just wanted to know if my fears were unfounded.

Comment

RolledUp20s

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 14, 2011
Wrexham, North Wales
Can someone with technical knowledge explain how winterboard/themes work (ie what part of the software they modify and elucidate whether this takes extra ram/drains the battery even slightly, etc.) I'm really interested in some of the themes but I'm unwilling to sacrifice any battery, speed or stability so I just wanted to know if my fears were unfounded.

You could record your available memory with all background apps 'killed' -
Mine at the moment like that is 290MB, not sure what the normal should be in this state? ..then download some theme, and repeat readings test. If a theme is pulling alot of memory with background apps dead, then i guess you have something to go on?

Anyone know what an iphone 4s not jailbroken would show like this?

Last edited:
Comment

NanoNyrd

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2011
Winterboard is a bit heavy on your phone, in particular if you have themes with animations. But even without, it makes dragging between springboard pages lag a little bit; not quite enough to be annoying, but noticeable.

I use it for an animated lockscreen (uniAW, Universal Animated Weather), and I suspect it causes some battery drain, but not so much that I am sure about it. I have given up on theming the springboard, there are always some unthemed icons that stick out like a sore thumb :)

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.