Is worth USD250 more for warranty?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by apoenq, May 26, 2015.

1. apoenq macrumors member

Hi guys, i am almost certain that rMbp 15" 2012 is more or less similar in performance (except the dGPU) compare to base model rMbp 15" late 2013. now the question, is it worth to spend 250USD more for 1.5 year warranty for the used rMbp late 2013? here is the comparison: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?p=21334566

Thanks a lot guys for the comment and help! :)

2. Jozone macrumors 6502

Just to be clear, are you asking if AppleCare is worth it, or are you asking about a third party warranty?

3. magbarn macrumors 68000

I have a hard time justifying Applecare at times. For a 3rd party insurance? No way...

4. JackieInCo macrumors 601

I have never bought en extended warranty for any computer I have owned. I have owned:

2008 Mac Pro
    2008 15"MacBook Pro
    2008 iMac
    2008 black macBook
    2009 13" MacBook Pro
    2009 15" MacBook Pro
    2010 white MacBook
    2012 Mac Mini
    2015 15" Retina MacBook Pro

Never had a problem with any of them and have never purchased warranties for anything Apple.

5. chrfr macrumors 603

Assuming you're buying either from the refurbished Apple store, they have the same warranty. The reason the 2012 model is more expensive is because it has the discrete GPU and 16GB vs 8GB and integrated graphics on the 2013.
    Wouldn't it have made more sense to continue the discussion in the original thread?

6. Freyqq macrumors 68040

My 2007 mbp needed the applecare a lot of times. My 2010 and 2013 MBP never had a problem.

I think if you spend over $2000, applecare makes sense. If you don't, applecare becomes too expensive per the cost of the computer.

7. shoehornhands macrumors regular

If you take all the money you spend on extended warranties and compare it to the benefit you've received from them, you'd most likely find that extended warranties are absolutely not worth it (even more so if you're a person that generally takes care of things).

All these companies make money off extended warranties (why do you think they try so hard to sell you on them).

Remember, you get a 1 year warranty with the computer. The great majority of the time, if there's a defect with a computer, it will surface within that time frame (i.e. if the computer works flawlessly for 1 year, it's likely to work for another 2).

Also remember that if there are any long term defects (like the blank screen issue with the NVidia 8600GT that plagued MBPs a few years back), you'll be covered for that issue regardless of whether you purchased the extended warranty or not.

8. Cuniac macrumors 6502a

Apple care is worth it. While I love Apple I have had the worst luck. Had a Mac Mini that I didn't buy AppleCare for. 14 months later the Logic Board died as was just about the price of a new one. I got the new Mac Mini with AppleCare and 15 months later its Logic Board died as well.. Bought a 2011 MBP with in the first year Logic Board died, Now this would have been covered anyway since it was within the first year but after that over the 2 years after the initial warranty ended I had 1 Fan, the GPU, MagSafe connector, SuperDrive and monitor all die. But all covered by AppleCare. I have had an iPhone die but covered by AppleCare, and don't get me started on my G4 Tower repairs. I think really the only thing I bought AppleCare for but did not use was my iPad.

AppleCare on Mac's gives you two additional years and you can wait till the 11 month to buy it. Just as long as you get it before the first year runs out. On top of the Tech and Phone support you get, if you plan to sell it before the 3 year mark it increase the resale value as people will be willing to pay more for something that's insured.

Please note my experience is rare, I've never know anyone to have such issues with their Apple products like I have. And for what comes out two be $10.42 a month for those extra two years, its more than worth it to get it for Mac's.

9. magbarn macrumors 68000

You must work your Apple equipment hard. I've owned Apple stuff over the last 8 years and I do work them hard editing photos/videos and I've yet to have any kind of failure out of warranty other than a HDD fail. (which they do all the time anyway) However, I've had 2 dGPU failures and they all happened outside the 3 year window anyway, and Apple fixed them due to a recall...

10. Cuniac macrumors 6502a

Ya, my 2011 MBP was on 12+ hours a day doing anything/everything not to mention running conversions and batch files while I sleep. I think if you spend that much on a computer you should really get the warranty.