Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Davidkoh

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
Check out TexPad on the iPad, an LaTeX editor that has limited local processing to PDF and have the option to use one of their servers that has access to a much larger library.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
Jailbreaking is an option, but I've found the mouse completely unnecessary because of the BT keyboard shortcut keys that help you navigate around documents. I think you'll find me on these forums maybe a couple of years ago angry at Apple for the lack of mouse support, which I greatly enjoyed on Android, but as soon as someone schooled me about the keyboard commands, all that anger melted away.

i jailbreak all of my iOS devices so it's a moot point of jailbreak vs your suggestion.

it was only natural to use a BT mouse that i already have and then get the Kensington BT keyboard case. on my business trips i don't need to travel with 2 laptops now. i can just bring my work laptop (which is locked down big time) and my iPad. having a mouse means i don't have to learn all of the shortcuts, i can just learn the ones i find useful and use a mouse (which i already know how to use) for the rest of it. the BT Trackpad and Mouse app is always updating and adding more features now the scroll wheel and side scroll are enabled functions

Zeov

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2011
Odense
this gotta be a joke..

obviously you don't want an iPad for any serious work.

get a Laptop for work + other stuff

Get an iPad for fun.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
this gotta be a joke..

Get an iPad for fun.

^ THAT. the voice of reason does exist lol

the real joke is when you walk into Starbucks and see lululemon-wearing girls trying to write papers on their iPads

i just can't help but laugh as while it used to be a rare occurrance... now everyone is doing it. is a 4lbs Macbook Pro 13" really that difficult to drive to the coffee shop??!?!

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011
Get an iPad for fun.
Or, you could get an iPad to do work if you want.

You can artificially limit what you want to do with your stuff. That's fine. But, whether they are wearing Lululemon clothes or not, there are people out there doing work on the iPad and enjoying it. One of my colleagues even does work on the iPhone, and I've written essays on my iPod before.

I recommend people don't close off their minds to possibilities.

blastair

macrumors regular
Mar 11, 2009
The iPad keyboard takes some getting used to, but once you do it's not that bad at all. I wrote multiple 10-12 page papers for school using just the iPad, no external keyboarding or anything. I always had it with me, which is a major plus over a laptop, which I often would rationalize not taking with me. Everyone's different, of course, but I'd recommend giving it a try. You can always adjust if it doesn't work for you after a reasonable trial period.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level
having just finished my thesis

nope! I love the ability to have multiple screens open, a mouse, and a more capable word proc that a computer provides over that of what the ipad offers.

When I think about writing one on the iPad...I shudder. Doable but seems like not a pleasant experience

Davidkoh

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
this gotta be a joke..

Get an iPad for fun.

Thats about as generalising as me saying that for any serious work you'd need a windows laptop, because serious work requires the full excel suite including VBA developing and SQL integration which works badly in the OS X environment.

If you only need to write stuff on your mobile unit an external keyboard for the iPad will work good, maybe with LaTeX as your editor.

having just finished my thesis

nope! I love the ability to have multiple screens open, a mouse, and a more capable word proc that a computer provides over that of what the ipad offers.

When I think about writing one on the iPad...I shudder. Doable but seems like not a pleasant experience

I don't find the mobile LaTeX editor to be lacking much compared to the desktop one, both are way more capable than Word on Windows/OS X. When i think abot using Word/iWorks to write a thesis I shudder.

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
As it is currently - iPad and IOS - I couldn't use only that. But I love writing on the ipad4 because of the retina screen and the flexibility it offers to write in different locations. I use a variety of stands, hoverbars, Apple BT keyboard when just using the iPad4, and when switching between this and my Air and ipad2, I use Logitech k760, solar keyboard with 3 functions keys for switching.

I'm trying out the UXWrite app at present, really like this, and if the developers bring to fruition all the features being planned it will make writing on iPad even better.

What I love most about iPad is how much it frees me from a desk and from sitting for too long, I can lay down when using it for research via Internet or material on the ipad etc. and when I need more than iPad can do, just grab what I've written from Dropbox on my Air or IMac with Dell hooked up as second display.

so, unless you only have a computer or only an iPad it doesn't need to be a choice, they are different tools suited to different tasks.

Zeov

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2011
Odense
Or, you could get an iPad to do work if you want.

You can artificially limit what you want to do with your stuff. That's fine. But, whether they are wearing Lululemon clothes or not, there are people out there doing work on the iPad and enjoying it. One of my colleagues even does work on the iPhone, and I've written essays on my iPod before.

I recommend people don't close off their minds to possibilities.

i have a mac and an iPad.. you're telling me that an iPad is just as good of a working tool as a fully functional computer? NO.

sure you CAN write essays, you CAN also edit movies and photos.. but whenever you want to do some actual work, you bring it over to your desktop / laptop. Suddenly when you get into the more advanced type of writing, you'll need an actual full size keyboard and software to go with it.

I recommend people don't close off their minds to possibilities. It's also possible to use siri on the iPhone to make an essay, lets all do that too!

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
I know people who are doing serious projects on iPads - novels, scripts, complex music and multimedia projects. So when you say if you are doing serious work you bring it to yr mac as though this is an indisputable fact, the only solution ... Best to talk about what you do NOT what you think other people can't do just because you don't work that way!

----------

Further ... I don't think anyone is claiming that an iPad compares with a computer. But that doesn't mean you can't do work on it! As I said before, they are different tools suited to different tasks.

Davidkoh

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
i have a mac and an iPad.. you're telling me that an iPad is just as good of a working tool as a fully functional computer? NO.

sure you CAN write essays, you CAN also edit movies and photos.. but whenever you want to do some actual work, you bring it over to your desktop / laptop. Suddenly when you get into the more advanced type of writing, you'll need an actual full size keyboard and software to go with it.

I recommend people don't close off their minds to possibilities. It's also possible to use siri on the iPhone to make an essay, lets all do that too!

Yet again you are generalsing what "actual work" is. For me, work requires good Microsoft SQL database integration, much computing power, advanced excel VBA coding and a solid Matlab integration to databases and such (among other things). Does this give me the right to say that Macs/iPads/laptops aren't suited for actual work and they are just for fun? No because not everyone is doing the same things I am doing for their work.

Also, if you are talking about "the more advanced type of writing" you would be using some tools like LaTeX anyhow.

charlituna

macrumors G3
Jun 11, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Hello all, I have been writing my thesis on an Macbook Air which got dropped and is too expensive to fix. So I am debating between getting a regular MacBook and an iPad as a replacement.

The problem of course isn't the iPad's memory, but the typing function. My question is: How difficult is it to type for one or two hours at a time on the iPad? Is the screen to small for text docs?

Also, I read somewhere that typing on the same plane as the screen feels unnatural. Do you find this to be the case?

Thanks for your advice. ;)

I myself have no issue with typing on an iPad, even for extended periods. Others mileage varies. In the end all that matters is how you feel. This is the best advice anyone can give on the whole computer v iPad (or any tablet) debate. It's about you, not them.

Some folks will try to tell you that 'no you have to have a computer no matter what' but that's BS. It is very possible to write a thesis, a novel or whatever on an iPad, depending on what you need to include in it. And you can always add an external keyboard or try dictation to mix things up and perhaps make it more comfortable.

I wouldn't suggest getting an iPad if this is your only use for it, but if you have other reasons to want/need an iPad with or without the computer then why not get it and try it for this use. If it doesn't work out you have those other needs filled and you can get a computer for your writing. Depending on what exactly you are working on you might find the combo of the two with the iPad holding your notes, sources in ebook etc and writing on a computer to be a great process.

----------

It's fine to sit in bed for 5 minutes before dozing off to use the iPad, but you don't want to write 150 pages that way.

No one ever suggested doing even 1 page in bed. iPads can be used at desks etc. With proper posture and everything if the user chooses.

So in your vast knowledge an iPad is NOT as good of a tool as a computer. Point blank. Actual work MUST be done on a computer.

And yet you are telling folks not to 'close off their minds to possibilities'. You mean like you have?

Last edited by a moderator:

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011

The OP asked: "Is Writing a Thesis on an iPad Do-able?" Yes. I know this for a fact, because I did it (please see my caveats about the final stages, etc.).

The OP did not ask: "Is an iPad as functional as a computer?" To that I would have answered "No."

As a writing tool, if you are just typing text, the iPad is functionally indistinguishable from a laptop. They do the same thing. In fact, though, I prefer my external keyboard paired to the iPad because I can use it in portrait mode, something you cannot do with a laptop. I also enjoy being able to use it for about twice as long as a Macbook Air (11") without needing an outlet, and having it with me pretty much 24/7. I tend to read and write a lot more when I use my iPad, so I am pretty comfortable recommending it as an option.

Of course, your mileage may vary. If you prefer an Apple Pro, an iMac, or whatever that is fine with me. Like the posters above you, you can ridicule me and the others all you would like, but you might want to ask where this impulse originates. Could it be that you have iPad envy :)

Zeov

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2011
Odense
The OP asked: "Is Writing a Thesis on an iPad Do-able?" Yes. I know this for a fact, because I did it (please see my caveats about the final stages, etc.).

The OP did not ask: "Is an iPad as functional as a computer?" To that I would have answered "No."

As a writing tool, if you are just typing text, the iPad is functionally indistinguishable from a laptop. They do the same thing. In fact, though, I prefer my external keyboard paired to the iPad because I can use it in portrait mode, something you cannot do with a laptop. I also enjoy being able to use it for about twice as long as a Macbook Air (11") without needing an outlet, and having it with me pretty much 24/7. I tend to read and write a lot more when I use my iPad, so I am pretty comfortable recommending it as an option.

Of course, your mileage may vary. If you prefer an Apple Pro, an iMac, or whatever that is fine with me. Like the posters above you, you can ridicule me and the others all you would like, but you might want to ask where this impulse originates. Could it be that you have iPad envy :)

i have an iPad 3 :)

temna

macrumors 6502a
May 5, 2008
Considering the way things are going with this push to the cloud and virtual machines, how really is a business computer really that much better? For home use yes a laptop is bigger and better, but for remote work, what is the difference when even your desktop is running virtually?

boy-better-know

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2010
England
Serious work that requires constant reference to different sources simply NEEDS to be done with a desktop (in the GUI sense not the physical). Can't think of anything more tedious than trying to write a paper on an iPad.

Zeov

macrumors 6502a
Apr 1, 2011
Odense
Then you might want to try writing more on it. Don't feel bad if you start neglecting your computer. It's OK :)

i like physical keyboards and a bigger screen to work with... and actual multitasking while working, like having youtube music in the background.. browsing random forums and all while still getting work done..

I use my iPad for killing time traveling by bus.. thats about it.

nightlong

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2012
Australia
It is not well put, it is another post presuming that what suits him is all there is.

It would be well put if he said
the serious work that I DO requires ... Bla blah. This might not apply to the different sorts of serious work other people do!!!!

Davidkoh

macrumors 65816
Aug 2, 2008
i like physical keyboards and a bigger screen to work with... and actual multitasking while working, like having youtube music in the background.. browsing random forums and all while still getting work done..

You do realise you can use a bigger monitor for your iPad? And that you can use a physical keyboard? And that you can play music in the background (hell, I can even Airplay video to my ATV and projector in the background, no video while using a bigger screen though)?

Random browsing while typing is harder though, but I have not yet met anyone who got their computer to be able to write in a document while browsing forums as only one window is actually activated for input at once.

The point is that for some people it would work. If I werent into gaming stuff like CS:GO I would sell my gaming desktop the same way I sold my MBA and just use the iPad and my HTPC/server for media storage. I turn it on less and lessbsince I got the iPad 4 since I can play small casual games on it when im too tired after work to play something more advanced.

Serious work that requires constant reference to different sources simply NEEDS to be done with a desktop (in the GUI sense not the physical). Can't think of anything more tedious than trying to write a paper on an iPad.

Explain what is so different in referencing when using say LaTeX for iPad and LeTeX for win/os x.

palpatine

macrumors 68040
May 3, 2011

I don't think you are reading my posts. I do use a physical keyboard. It is the exact same one that you would use if you had an iMac (the Apple bluetooth keyboard). The difference is that I pack it up, toss the iPad and keyboard into a tiny man bag, and go anywhere in the world to get my work done without worrying about wall outlets, etc.

Screen size? Flipping the iPad to portrait mode gives me a LARGER screen to work with than I would get on a 13" Retina Macbook Pro because when writing the vertical space is more important than the horizontal.

Music in the background? Your iPad can play music in the background as well. I don't know if it will do YouTube or not, but the result is the same.

Browsing random forums? Well, you can do that on the iPad, but it is true that you cannot multitask well. That means you actually write rather than fritter away your time on other tasks. Like I said, I get more reading and writing done with the iPad than my computer.

It's cool that you have a setup you like to use. I just don't think you should dismiss the potential the iPad has to get work done. Your mileage may vary, of course, but I wouldn't take your experience of how work ought to be done as the standard against which to judge everyone else's workflow.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.