iPad Is Xcode for iPad on the horizon?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by gobikerider, Jun 11, 2017.

1. gobikerider macrumors 68000

gobikerider

I'm very intrigued by the possibility of this, especially considering Apple already has a Swift Playgrounds that allows you to program your "playgrounds" and now even LEGO and other robots not to mention the new iOS 11 features, specifically the Files app. Between iOS 11's recommitment to iPad, the performance of the new iPad Pro, and the change to AppStore guidelines (2.5.2), I have a feeling Apple might just be working on something.

2. perezr10 macrumors 6502a

With the iPad Pro pulling in Geekbench scores of over 9000 you gotta wonder what all that power is for.

3. penajmz macrumors 68030

penajmz

I was just thinking about this because Xcode is one of the small list of things that keep me from ditching my MacBook Pro. I would definitely welcome it.

4. rkuo macrumors 6502a

The problem here is that most serious developers need to incorporate third party components into their apps. That means serious command line tweaking and configuration and paths and all other sorts of nasty guts to deal with.

Xcode on the ipad would be fine for very standalone and simple projects. But to do serious development would require support for a full shell and all the associated ported command line tools or possibly a remoted development environment in the cloud.