Is xcode included on MBA USB flash stick?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by teaneedz, Nov 15, 2010.

1. teaneedz macrumors member

teaneedz

I don't have mine handy and want to know if Apple installed xcode on the USB flash stick or not.

If not, is there another way to obtain xcode without a painful 3GB download?

2. nicoritschel macrumors regular

I'm not sure as I'm out and about right now, but why can't you just download it while you're sleeping or something?

3. bcaslis macrumors 68020

As far as I can see it's not the USB. Unless you have a Snow Leopard DVD then I think you need to download it.

4. teaneedz, Nov 15, 2010
    Last edited by a moderator: Nov 15, 2010

teaneedz thread starter macrumors member

teaneedz

- Do you know if I could download it from anyone's Snow Leopard install disk or will I be blocked from doing it from another system?

- Also would a SL install disk likely have an older version of x-code (pre 3.2.4)?

Thank you.

It will just be a painfully long install process on basic broadband.

5. nicoritschel macrumors regular

It should really only take an hour, maybe a few tops on a decent connection?

6. jamone13 macrumors regular

Why would you want and old version of Xcode? They update it every few months, and as there is no update installer, you will need the whole 3GB download each time. Even if you have bandwidth limits, that make it impossible to download at home, you could go somewhere with unlimited wifi (starbucks, work...) couldn't you?

7. bcaslis macrumors 68020

You could get it from a DVD, I don't think it's device locked. But as posted above, they update it all the time. It would be much better to just download it.

8. teaneedz thread starter macrumors member

teaneedz

Package Management Next

Thanks everyone for the feedback. I bit the bullet and started the download. It'll probably run all evening and early morning. Oh well.

Now is MacPorts still the package manager of choice or is Homebrew the thing to go with now?

9. teaneedz thread starter macrumors member

teaneedz

I'm sorry for the second question, I know it's not really hardware related.

I reposted under Programming.

10. drjsway macrumors 6502a

Mind if I ask how fast your internet is and where you live? I can download 3GB in less than 15 minutes. All evening and early morning would mean around a .5MB connection(!).

11. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68000

PBG4 Dude

You are lucky. It takes me an hour to download Xcode + iSDK.