Is Yosemite GM release candidate the final shipping version

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by 212rikanmofo, Oct 1, 2014.

1. 212rikanmofo macrumors 65816

2. tywebb13, Oct 1, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 1, 2014

tywebb13 macrumors 68020

We don't know yet if build 14A379a will be final version. There may be more gm candidates before public release.

But even if there are not, the installer will definitely have to change because after it downloads, in its current form it is still calling itself a developer preview. That will obviously have to change for the public version.

3. ayeying macrumors 601

ayeying

I think there is another build. I don't remember apple releasing a final build with a letter at the end

4. Menge macrumors 6502a

Menge

More often than not it is the final build.

There have been occasions of a second GM or simply that the shipped version is different.

When in doubt: wait.

5. rmercier macrumors member

6. RobFog macrumors regular

So… what? It’s the same as 14A379a, the Golden Master candidate.

7. indiekiduk macrumors 6502

I don't remember them ever calling a GM as Candidate 1.0 so I'd say theres a slightly higher chance than normal of there being another candidate to come. Also with all the crazy bugs in iOS 8 theres a chance that Yosemite hand-off needs something fixed as well.

8. mr.bee macrumors 6502a

mr.bee

9. ms.annette macrumors regular

ms.annette

I've finally installed it on my main mac and everything seems to be going well.

10. HBX macrumors member

Definitely not ready for public release. PB4 is a resource intensive build. PB3 was way better. They need to go back and optimize before release.

11. merrickdrfc macrumors 6502

merrickdrfc

Feedback Assistant is also still buried in Utilities, so another build is pretty likely, if not guaranteed.

12. ABC5S Suspended

ABC5S

Maybe, but we have about 10 days remaining so it may not as well. I won't mind either way. :D

13. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

b is not a; we can not assume that the two are the same.

14. RobFog macrumors regular

We can assume that they are the same on the surface. People reported the same changes in DPs and PBs released on the same day. I’m sure you’ve read the threads for the different DPs/PBs, they corroborate that.

More importantly, in the context of the question whether the GM candidate was the "final shipping version“ rmercier replied
    suggesting PB build 14A379b was another iteration following the GM candidate (14A379a) which it clearly isn’t.

15. Lachhh macrumors regular

I highly doubt that.
    If so then everyone in the German-Speaking world running the system in English will get a horrible mishmash of German and English finder elements, as is currently the case with PB4.
    I've found 5 relatively glaring bugs this past day alone and I've barely been trying. I'd be depressed if they shipped it like this.

16. treichert macrumors 6502

There will be at least one more build, since Apple only ever declares a build GM that does no longer carry a letter at the end (unless its's a simple revision of a build).

So neither 14A379a nor 14A379b will be the final version.

17. smokesletsgo macrumors regular

I think it's kind of obvious that this is not the final GM. It's a candidate and it has lots of bugs, sure Mavericks GM also had lots of bugs, but they didn't name it a candidate... In fact, I think tomorrow we might see another build, the final one maybe. Or next week on Mon/Tue.

18. Trebuin macrumors 65816

Trebuin

Hopefully someone learned from iOS 8, or more importantly, from 8.0.1

19. abcdefg12345 macrumors regular

abcdefg12345

its called gold master candidate because its qualified to be the gold master and the people working at apple are not sure if its good enough for a public release

20. mattburley7 macrumors 68030

might possibly see the actual GM version this week?

21. lisai9093 macrumors newbie

it's over 10:30AM now. Guess no luck for today :confused:

22. mattburley7 macrumors 68030

maybe we wont see any more updates for os x yosemite and they will just release the public version over the next few weeks.

23. indiekiduk macrumors 6502

candidate 2 is in software update, that's handy. 14A386a has a letter so still not final GM.

24. indiekiduk macrumors 6502

Be careful updating, 1 min into installing it changes to a non-functional gray login screen. Best just wait until the full time originally shown passes and add the usual extra 10min for when it's on 1 min to go. It's likely just the installing screen has disappeared for some reason.

You know when it's ready when your cpu fans stop going mental. Then you can login on the gray screen and the disgnostics and usage screen is shown.

Then once logged in apple configurator crashes:

Dyld Error Message:
    Symbol not found: _OBJC_CLASS_$_ISAuthenticationContext
    Referenced from: /Applications/Apple Configurator.app/Contents/MacOS/Apple Configurator
    Expected in: /System/Library/PrivateFrameworks/CommerceKit.framework/Versions/A/CommerceKit
    in /Applications/Apple Configurator.app/Contents/MacOS/Apple Configurator