Is Yosemite making my late-2012 iMac slow?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by kiensoy, Dec 1, 2014.

1. kiensoy macrumors newbie

Hello,

I just started noticing how long my iMac takes to boot. When I press the power button I hear the "dong" sound and I get a white screen for 30 long seconds until I finally see the Apple logo and a couple of seconds later the progress bar from Yosemite. My computer wasn't this slow to boot. I have a fusion drive which should make it faster to boot.

I mean, it used to boot in minutes. Has anybody experienced the same with Yosemite?

I cleared my caches folders and repaired permissions. I did fsck -f from single user mode but everything's still the same. :(

2. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

This often happens when it's looking for a booting partition that can't be found and eventually gives up and boots from the main partition. The fix for this is to hold down Option at boot, and once in the boot menu make sure the partition you want is selected. Hold down the Control key and press Enter to set it as the default. You can also try a simple PRAM reset.

3. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

I agree with redheeler, although I would just make sure the start disk is set in Systempreferences.