iPhone 11 Pro Is your 11 Pro screen brighter than the display models at the Apple Store?

blitzr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2017
Was killing time at my local Apple Store today, and noticed that the screen of the display model I was playing with was considerably dimmer and with duller colors than that of my new 11 Pro, at full brightness with TrueTone turned on. Compared several display models and all had the same. Chatted with an employee, who was also surprised at the difference. He didn't have an explanation, but theorized that it might be either because the display models are calibrated that way to save energy, or because the display models are constantly turned on and set to a dark screensaver.

Makes wonder whether I should go through with the exchange that is currently in process due to some QC problems. I'd be willing to overlook the scuff and the suspiciously dusty inside of the box for a better screen, though the employee assured me that the screen I have should be the norm.

So has anyone ever noticed the same thing? Is there an official explanation for this?

The Clark

macrumors 6502
Dec 11, 2013
Victoria, BC
"theorized that it might be either because the display models are calibrated that way to save energy.."

This is the truth. I noticed the same thing but when I changed my wallpaper to the default one, lowered the brightness the colors did appear more vibrant and accurate.

I suspect that if you did exchange you'd get the same problem if you keep your settings as is. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.

Septembersrain

Contributor
Dec 14, 2013
Texas
My first Pro Max was defective. It had some serious issues with not displaying color properly and looking very dingy. My replacement is better but the display models were still brighter and more vivid.

If you're finding one that is better than the cherry picked store demos, I'd be super hesitant to give it up.

I wish mine had that cool blue tone the two display models had.

Guess I'll just have to be content that at least this one doesn't look washed out and colorless. Using color filter under accessibility has made this second device acceptable.

In 15 months, when my upgrade time comes, I'll evaluate where I want to be in terms of device. If I'll even stay with iPhone or get a second Android.

blitzr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2017
"theorized that it might be either because the display models are calibrated that way to save energy.."

This is the truth. I noticed the same thing but when I changed my wallpaper to the default one, lowered the brightness the colors did appear more vibrant and accurate.

I suspect that if you did exchange you'd get the same problem if you keep your settings as is. I wouldn't worry about it if I were you.
I don't really have a problem with the screen on mine though. It actually looks much more vibrant than the display models. My concern is that I'll end up with a replacement that looks just as dim and washed out as the display models.

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
I don't really have a problem with the screen on mine though. It actually looks much more vibrant than the display models. My concern is that I'll end up with a replacement that looks just as dim and washed out as the display models.
You’re over-analyzing. If you start playing this ‘exchange game’ in order to find the ‘perfect’ display, you’re gonna put yourself in a situation that will never stop your paranoia, Plus then you risk finding a another phone with a different problem. The iPhone displays that you see in store, typically are at max brightness, but it doesn’t necessarily mean that your display would be considered faulty otherwise.

Reactions: konqerror

blitzr

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 16, 2017
Maybe I didn't express myself clearly. It's the display models that looked dim and washed out, not the 11 Pro that I own, which looked noticeably brighter and more vibrant in comparison, with identical screen settings.

As for the exchange, it's for a different reason that has nothing to do with the screen. I'm simply wondering why the display models, which are supposed to highlight the best Apple has to offer, somehow looked less nice than the run-of-the-mill consumer unit that I have. Because if the screens on the display models represent the norm, then I'm not sure if it's worth it to risk losing what I have for a scuff and a poor packaging job.

BugeyeSTI

macrumors 68040
Aug 19, 2017
Arizona
Maybe I didn't express myself clearly. It's the display models that looked dim and washed out, not the 11 Pro that I own, which looked noticeably brighter and more vibrant in comparison, with identical screen settings.

As for the exchange, it's for a different reason that has nothing to do with the screen. I'm simply wondering why the display models, which are supposed to highlight the best Apple has to offer, somehow looked less nice than the run-of-the-mill consumer unit that I have. Because if the screens on the display models represent the norm, then I'm not sure if it's worth it to risk losing what I have for a scuff and a poor packaging job.
I wouldn’t care about the packaging, the scuff would be something I’d need to see to decide if it bugged me enough to exchange. If the scuff was minor I’d stick it in a case and just enjoy the phone. Chances are that scuffs will happen over the life of the phone and if you’re on a IUP it won’t even matter as minor wear a tear isn’t penalized.. If it’s a silver model and the scuff is on the band, you might have luck polishing it out..

Superrenz

macrumors regular
Dec 2, 2018
Wiesbaden, Germany
Exchange? What kind of exchange? Can you specify please?
Was killing time at my local Apple Store today, and noticed that the screen of the display model I was playing with was considerably dimmer and with duller colors than that of my new 11 Pro, at full brightness with TrueTone turned on. Compared several display models and all had the same. Chatted with an employee, who was also surprised at the difference. He didn't have an explanation, but theorized that it might be either because the display models are calibrated that way to save energy, or because the display models are constantly turned on and set to a dark screensaver.

Makes wonder whether I should go through with the exchange that is currently in process due to some QC problems. I'd be willing to overlook the scuff and the suspiciously dusty inside of the box for a better screen, though the employee assured me that the screen I have should be the norm.

So has anyone ever noticed the same thing? Is there an official explanation for this?
[/QUOT
lems? Can you specify please?

Septembersrain

Contributor
Dec 14, 2013
Texas

Not worth it. I'd trade you for that. I played the screen lotto. My second one is better but still not as nice as the display models. So if yours is better... That's good luck.

JPack

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2017
The "save energy" theory doesn't make any sense, given that demo units are docked to a charger at least half the time.

In all likelihood, it's to prevent burn-in. We've seen it on iPhone X before.

1579456865383.png

Limeybastid

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2019
Florida hell hole

OLED panels are organic, the display models have probably reached their "half life" hence not as bright as yours.

Reactions: konqerror

konqerror

macrumors 68000
Dec 31, 2013
OLED panels are organic, the display models have probably reached their "half life" hence not as bright as yours.
Exactly. And the different colors age at different rates, leading to the color shift.

This is no different than LED-backlit LCDs. As you use them, the colors and luminosity of the white LEDs and polarizers shift. Professional color-managed displays are re-calibrated at least monthly and trended.

Reactions: Limeybastid

esaelias187

macrumors member
Jul 25, 2017
It is because In the accessibility mode they have auto brightness set on

if you change it lock the phone and open it you will see it is equally as bright as your phone

aakshey

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2016
Not all phones are equally bright. But also, Apple OLEDs are often (not majority but pretty common) defective where AB on means lower brightness due to ALS failure. Just look up all iPhone 11 Pro threads claiming their other phones are brighter. It’s not normal. But it’s not rare. These phones are defective. Turning off Auto Brightness fixes this problem at the expense of an important feature.

aakshey

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2016
Half life is irrelevant here. Not the issue. Not all screens are equally bright even if they’re normal. And sometimes some might even be defective with AB on.

Limeybastid

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2019
Florida hell hole
Half life is irrelevant here. Not the issue. Not all screens are equally bright even if they’re normal. And sometimes some might even be defective with AB on.
Your statement is not relevant in what context I was discussing it. Your statement would be relevant if you were opening and testing brand new OLED panels. The OP was comparing the brightness levels of heavily used display models to his device.

aakshey

macrumors 68020
Jun 13, 2016
Your statement is not relevant in what context I was discussing it. Your statement would be relevant if you were opening and testing brand new OLED panels. The OP was comparing the brightness levels of heavily used display models to his device.
Used means nothing. It doesn't change anything. I have seen old X models in store that are just as bright as they should be.