Is Your Apple Bumper a Little bit loose? (Boiling alternative)

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by BergerFan, Aug 28, 2010.

1. BergerFan macrumors 68020

BergerFan

I just got my free Apple Bumper yesterday and I noticed that it's a little loose(about 1mm of play).
    To fix it, I put a thin strip of electrical tape on the insides of each corner of the Bumper, to pad it out by a millimetre or so. The result is that the Bumper is really snug now and it feels like it's*a part of the phone.
    So much better. :)

2. RichBrewski macrumors member

3. BergerFan thread starter macrumors 68020

BergerFan

LOL. :D

4. adztaylor macrumors 68000

5. owmygulay macrumors member

I said the same thing the first time I heard someone say to boil it. Works great. Starts to loosen up a little after a while but then you just do it again.

6. cvd macrumors member

Lucky Labs Spectra Wraps also tighten up the fit.

7. mixedONE macrumors newbie

My white bumper was pretty loose as well. Luckily I still had the side pieces from my unused Wrapsol Ultra set...so I decided to apply that and so far it seems to have done the trick; my bumper now fits nicely with no movement whatsoever.

8. RichBrewski macrumors member

Oh, and I was doin' it wrong when I boiled mine and put it on almost immediately after boiling. The headset jack is now... well... jacked up (pardon the pun) and stretched out. It also misaligned the noise cancellation speaker hole, so I think that part is now useless, haha.

I wonder if I can take it to the apple store for a replacement... :rolleyes:

But the moral of the story is; Let your bumper cool down.

9. mavis macrumors 68040

mavis

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 4 (32GB, JB): Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A306 Safari/6531.22.7)

Yup. Boiling is the ticket. Too bad it doesn't help the iPhone itself.

10. BergerFan thread starter macrumors 68020

BergerFan

Repeated boiling, over 4 strips of electical tape in a once-only solution? Hmm. Each to their own I guess. :D

11. ddeadserious macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

With the electrical tape, it will still loosen over time. You'll just need to add additional strips of electrical tape. It's just the nature of the material is that it will stretch a bit over time. Boiling causes the molecules to contract and therefore make the bumper fit a little tighter. It's not destructive and leaves no slimey residue(unlike electrical tape).

Just be careful boiling and make sure you don't do it too much, I shrank mine too much so it didn't fit right.

12. BergerFan thread starter macrumors 68020

BergerFan

Aha. You're forgetting that the tape merely fills in the 1mm 'play' gap - it doesn't stretch the case at all(as long as you only use one or two layers of tape, per strip) so nothing is getting stretched, meaning that it is a one-time solution.

13. Uabcar macrumors 6502

I did the boil thing a couple weeks ago. As with many others I thought is was a prank- but my bumper was loose enough that it was driving me crazy - as each time I'd pick it up I could feel the tiny gap collapse.

I'm clearly picky- but to each his own....

Anyway, I figured what the heck - and did the boil things (2x@ 30-60 sec each, dropping ed it into a dish of cold water after each time - not idea if this was needed but figured what the heck). There is no doubt that it shrinks the bumper slightly. It fits tight now- you can actually see where the earphone hole is slightly elongated as a result of the smaller radius. I'm very content now.

14. rockyroad55 macrumors 601

rockyroad55

I use the invisible side shields with the bumper. SNUG!

15. ddeadserious macrumors 6502a

ddeadserious

Negative.

If you're literally never removing the bumper, then your theory is correct.

I take my bumper off about once a day, so after a week or two, it's stretched enough to be bothersome. The bumper being on the iPhone doesn't stretch it. It's removing and reapplying it often that stretches is. It will stretch with electrical tape inside it, or after boiling, either way.

16. BergerFan thread starter macrumors 68020

BergerFan

That's what I mean. It's not really meant to be taken off every day, I'd guess.

Attached Files:

17. kernkraft macrumors 68020

kernkraft

Just wait for iPhone 5 (or 4G)! This iPhone 4 affair has already passed the stage of being ridiculous.