Is your apple ID an email address? Find my phone issues...

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by duncanapple, Nov 22, 2010.

1. duncanapple macrumors 6502

Does anyone else have an apple ID that is not an email address? The one I have used forever isnt an email address and the "find my phone" set up for 4.2 isn't accepting my apple ID b/c its looking for something in the xxx@something.com format.

I tried to change my user name to my email address with no luck. Has anyone been able to log onto the find my phone using a non email address apple ID?

Thanks - Chris

2. JonathanK81 macrumors 6502

JonathanK81

Nope, it doesn't work. I have a non-email Apple ID. I just used my MobileMe account instead of my non-email Apple ID. I won't ever give that up because it's more unique to me than those that require email addresses now.

3. SnowDX macrumors 6502

You went into your iTunes account and changed your username to match your email address and it didn't work? What error did you get?

4. kddpop macrumors regular

same trouble here.
    i don't want to set up another account.
    i want to use my tried and true apple account.
    looks like i'll have to continue to not lose my idevices.

5. milani macrumors 68000

milani

Just change your password from iTunes. Change it to a random password (that you remember), then change it back to your old password and it should fix your problem.

6. jdmass macrumors member

How does this help him? The problem isn't with his password, it's the fact that his AppleID must be an email address for Find My Iphone to function.

7. DirtySocks85 macrumors 65816

DirtySocks85

8. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

Go here: https://appleid.apple.com

Click "Manage your account" and sign-in with your "non-e-mail-address" account.

It will offer you the option of making your primary e-mail address into your username.

I did this and it worked.

9. kddpop macrumors regular

i would rather not have my userid be an email address.
    but if this is what i have to do to get the free find my iphone...
    guess i'll just do without it.
    thanks for the help.

10. ITASOR macrumors 601

ITASOR

You could just create another account that you only use for Find My iPhone.

11. kddpop macrumors regular

i don't really want another apple id. i had one with itools. then a new one with .mac. then that one was not accepted by the itunes store so i had to create another one. now i have some of my content with the older id's and some with my current one. it's just so messy and confusing. wish i could consolidate all my id's.

12. 8CoreWhore macrumors 68020

8CoreWhore

I'm unable to set up the free Find My iPhone feature because it keeps rejecting my Apple ID and/or password. My ID is my gmail address. I tried several times being careful to avoid a typo, etc. It keeps rejecting it. I think there's something wrong with the system. WHAT'S NEW??!! .mac sucked, and Mobile Me sucks.

http://discussions.apple.com/forum.jspa?forumID=1331

All kinds of problems. I hope it's the Akmai service they use so that there's a chance of improvement when they get to North Carolina.

13. mufadal84 macrumors member

I just used the same email adress and password that i use for my itunes account and so far it has worked and as far as i know that is my only account information associated with any of apples products.

14. hcho3 macrumors 68030

I could not get it to work with my existing ID. It was just giving me too much issues.
    I tried to create new ID on my computer and tried it on my phone, but now it said, this ID cannot be used to set up mobile me. Another topic... .

At the end, I was ready to give up, but after reading some discussions...

I sat up new ID from my iPad and it worked. I am done trying with my old account. I guess apple wants more accounts for trade off with free service. Fine with me, but I wish they told me, so I don't waste 30 minutes.

Create a new account and that solves the problem. For me at least.

15. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

Whats the big deal?

16. Sedulous macrumors 68000

Sedulous

Actually, I just spoke with the people at MobileMe. They said that it is linked directly to an email address for now. I am guessing that like the OP, I have had the same AppleID for at least 10 years now and have no interest in changing it. It is fine that they want an email address, but email addresses change while my AppleID does not and therefore makes more sense for Apple to attach to user AppleID and let me manage what email account I want used with that ID. It is nice to be able to use a single ID across all of Apple's services... well at least it used to be.

17. kddpop macrumors regular

this is where i am. i just want one single id that i can easily and neatly manage. i've had my current id for quite a while and find it more elegant having just my name with no spaces as my id instead of an email address. silly? maybe.
    i will just wait until they do it differently or just do without.

18. chainprayer macrumors 6502a

anyone else getting this message?....

happens when i try to add a mobileme account via my apple id

19. MVPinFLA macrumors 6502

This didn't work for me. It never gave me the option to sign-in with your "non-e-mail-address" account.

20. mzd macrumors 6502a

hmm, it worked for me fine (older non-email apple id). i clicked on "Manage your account"
    of course it doesn't work for Find my iPhone, but i haven't changed over to an email address yet... i would prefer not to, but i guess we don't have a choice.

21. memphistiger7 macrumors newbie

Try creating a mobilme account in your iphone mail, contacts, and calendar settings. The only option available is the find my iphone toggle after that and it worked fine for me.

22. MVPinFLA macrumors 6502

I followed the instructions precisely and it says it is sending a verification email to my email address; but it just never arrives. I will check with Apple after the holiday.

23. Kondziq macrumors newbie

Yup, I have had the same error message. I tried to creat an MobileMe account at my iPad with 4.2 beta 3

24. Goldfrapp macrumors 68040

Goldfrapp

Because it's at least 7 characters less to type, if not more.

@me.com
    @gmail.com
    @yahoo.com
    @hotmail.com
    @very_long_and_ugly_domain_name.com

:rolleyes: