Is your bezel flush against the metal iPhone body?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by msmith2112, Nov 27, 2007.

1. msmith2112 macrumors 6502

msmith2112

If I look hard enough, in the corner by my hold button, I notice that the metal bezel that goes around my screen is not completely flush with the metal body of the iPhone. I can actually put a piece of paper a little ways into the seam. Is this normal?

2. jmcn72 macrumors newbie

It's definitely not normal. I made an appt at the Genius Bar with my 1st iPhone since the bezel edge on the side with the volume buttons was not flush. It was quite sharp actually, almost razor-like. They swapped it for a brand new one which is completely flush. Take it back.

3. overanalyzer macrumors 6502a

Mine might be even slightly less flush than that all across the top. I actually clean it out occasionally with the tip of a plastic flosser because it gets some dirt in it. Doesn't seem to be getting any worse over time, though, so I haven't been worried about it.

4. TurboSC macrumors 65816

TurboSC

yeea you might wanna get that checked out... last thing you'd want is dust getting inside the iPhone or one day looking at the edge of your screen and seeing lint buildup that you can't physically remove without opening the phone :p

5. skeen macrumors 6502

EDIT: My screen is not flush with the metal all the way around. It seems to have an even "space" all the way around, that I can put a piece of paper into. I hadn't noticed until I read this thread, but it seems it's supposed to be that way? Otherwise how could it be like that all the way around?

6. danielforman macrumors regular

My bezel is not flush either with the metal back at the top near the sleep wake button and where the black back and the metal back meet on the left side the metal sticks out a little bit.

Anyone tried taking theirs back becuase of these reasons. I got mine from my local o2 store.

7. skeen macrumors 6502

Mine's exactly the same. Surely this is just how they're made?

8. danielforman macrumors regular

I dont know but looking closer at mine now it seems the bezel along the top is not straight with the case. I didn't notice at first because I was enjoying it so much but I have seen on other sites that other people have noticed this on their iPhones.

When I have paid £269 for it you expect the case to be ok. It would not be too bad if it was slightly out but you can feel it is misaligned when you rub your finger over it.

I don't know what to do. I might have a word with my local o2 store where I got it and see what they say and if they will change it.

9. skeen macrumors 6502

Again, I just think this is how they're made. Mine is exactly the same, and I checked with a friend and his is like this too. Exchanging it will just get you another just like it.

It's not really an issue. I couldn't say it's aesthetic, cos you can't really see it. We may just be being overly picky. I don't think I own anything that is precise.

I'm just pleased I don't have a real issue, like dead pixels that I have to live with, etc.

EDIT: Okay, I'm definitely not worried about this anymore. The border is not abnormal: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=344577 Compressed air should get rid of any dust collected. :) *relaxes*

10. danielforman macrumors regular

Yeah true. It is probably just one of those things that will appear on most iPhones. Thanks for the comments

11. msmith2112 thread starter macrumors 6502

msmith2112

Yeah, thanks for the messages. It must just be a normal abnormality. (hehe...i don't think that phrase makes sense!)

12. danielforman macrumors regular

I'm going to go into o2 tomorrow and have a word with them about the bezel not aligning with the back case in some places on my iPhone. Although it is nothing major it is an annoyance when playing videos in landscape mode and where I hold it the metal is rough.

Considering how much I have paid I am going to see if there is any chance of getting it changed. I know nothing is perfect but I feel that how the bezel is on my iPhone is not good quality.

Will let you know it goes tomorrow when I get home.

13. Xacent macrumors member

New out of the box, not impressed

Just pulled my iPhone out of the box and the bezel is separated in the corner by the sleep button. Also after some more poking at it I think it has the negative black issue as well.

I took some pictures but my camera isn't that great and its hard to take pictures of things that close. Let me know what you think, I've tried to push the bezel down but it pops right back up instantly. I don't want to be too picky but its really noticeable and I can see edges and mount points on the internal surface of the bezel.

Probably going to phone the closest apple store to me (2 hours away :() and ask them if this is a fair reason to ask for an exchange (mostly the bezel issue, negative black isn't that noticeable).

Last pic shows the side that isn't bad.

Attached Files:

14. abijnk macrumors 68040

abijnk

All of them that I have seen are flush. Looks like you might get to go back to the apple store :) My favorite thing :rolleyes:

15. skeen macrumors 6502

16. jpow112 macrumors member

17. notsofatjames macrumors 6502a

notsofatjames

by the sleep/wake, mines a little rough, but hardly noticeable.

18. danielforman macrumors regular

I took mine back to the o2 store where i got it from yesterday and had a word with them about it. The girl in there had a look then we compared mine to the display models. On mine and the two display models they have somewhere on the bezel it was not exactly flush with the metal case and also the black part on the back does not always line up with the metal case on one side either.

It looks as though this is a manufacturing problem and as long as it does not start to come off there is nothing o2 can do. If you get one that is completely flush then you have been very lucky but it is a little problem and something you will have to live with unless you are lucky and the store you take it to decide to swap it for you but then you have no guarantee the new one you get won't be the same.

19. silbeej macrumors 6502a

when i heard this i thought it was like a little paper sized gap, which i figured everything had, but that is a huge gap. I'd be unhappy with that, but they all will have some little gap. Like mine, the glass on the top near the sleep button has a slight paper sized gap, so i have to use the corner of a piece of paper to clean it out every now and then, but that's expected.

20. dannofuzz macrumors newbie

Mine is perfectly flush and tight all the way around. I'd take that back and get a new one. It can only get worse over time, and then your warranty will be up and you'll be out of luck.

21. Small White Car macrumors G4

Small White Car

Is it just me, or does the question "Is your bezel flush?" sound incredibly dirty?

Can you imaging asking that of anyone in a bar and NOT getting slapped?

Anyway, l've really enjoyed reading this thread. It's very amusing when taken from that perspective.

22. FocusAndEarnIt macrumors 601

FocusAndEarnIt

I hate it when people use just one smiley, but seriously. Come on.

:rolleyes:

23. calvy macrumors 65816

Mine looks like this. It didn't when I first got it. But after use, the chrome has and the metal backing have gotten slightly warped, and no longer line up perfectly. This happened within a couple weeks of first getting my phone. Apple of course didn't give a ****, and said it was my fault.