Is your bumper is falling apart?

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Simgar988, Mar 8, 2011.

1. Simgar988 macrumors 65816

Simgar988

Mine definitely is and I'm not happy about it. I've just noticed there is even some damage to the phone on the edges where it wore through without me noticing. My bumper is now literally tearIng and I don't knOw what to do. I spent good mOney on this bumper and it's not even lasting me more than a handful of months. Is this my problem or is there something I can have apple do about it. I'm planning on upgrading and dont wanna have to pay for a whole new bumper just for a few months use.

2. vincenz macrumors 601

vincenz

Take it to an apple store and try your luck. Other than that, there's no other way but to buy a new one.

3. tritonj macrumors 6502a

sounds like just wear and tear i doubt they are giving you a new one

4. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Agreed, the worse thing they can say is no. Sorry for your luck OP, but I haven't had any problems with my bumper that I got as part of the free case program.

5. Simgar988 thread starter macrumors 65816

Simgar988

I actually just called my local apple store and they said no problem, they'd do a free in store replacement. They open a new one and gve it to me and take mine and put it intye box. She had some name for it but I forgot. She said that some of the earlier models have these problems where they fall apart, but it has since been fixed. I don't have AppleCare on my iPhone.

6. Thedeathbear macrumors 6502a

Damn... I guess I can't get mine replaced after I superglued the pieces that were tearing parts back together?

7. Grouchy Bob macrumors regular

Get a new one?

You people crack me up. :D And just think what your iPhone would look like without it.

8. Kadman macrumors 65816

Kadman

Mine looks absolutely flawless. Maybe that's because I got the freebie in the mail, put it on, saw how much it looked like a$$ and took it right back off. It's been sitting untouched in a drawer ever since. :cool:

9. Insilin1i macrumors regular

I didn't use mine either. It wasn't to ugly, it just made the phone bulky and annoyingly hard to put in and take out of pockets.

10. RafaelT macrumors 65816

RafaelT

Yes! I actually just noticed it the other day. I bought mine the first say they were available and I was just about to complain to Apple about it. I understand wear and tear but mine sits is my cargo pants pocket, it's not like it is tight and pulling on it.

11. applefanDrew macrumors 65816

Mine looks great.....but I haven't taken it out of the drawer in idk how long.

12. zinka macrumors regular

I took mine to the Apple Store. They gave me a new one, no muss, no fuss, no paperwork. Whole thing took about 2 minutes, most of which was going upstairs to the accessory section on the 3rd floor.

13. Brannon macrumors regular

hey!! I called and they sent em a brand new one free of charge!!! And i got mine free to begin with!!!!!

I just said that it has fallin apart! And they sent a new one!!

14. Savage macrumors 6502

Savage

Mine has had a lot of abuse since launch and you can definitely tell but it has saved my phone a number of times and I actually like the abused look of it.

15. hismikeness macrumors regular

Got a black in the free case program. Used it, and it worked nicely. Got the orange bumper for xmas, and have had it on ever since. No dings or scratches or wear and tear, but I'm careful with mine. The only thing I've noticed is the outer edge has faded color somewhat.

16. GP_1 macrumors regular

Had mine on since August 30th and it's still in great shape.

17. Jordan921 macrumors 68040

Jordan921

18. himesh macrumors regular

My volume button fell off so took it back to the place where I bought it from, they replaced it

19. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Love the orange one. Funny how it makes the 4 look like the 3 though:

[​IMG]

Didn't I read somewhere where the 4 was supposed to be introduced with a case but Steve Jobs saw it 'naked' and released it that way....?

Question: Will the 4 fit in any of the docks with the bumper on?

20. TheMacBookPro macrumors 68020

TheMacBookPro

that was a joke ;)

my 4 in a bumper works with all of my Apple-certified docks without the little plastic adapter-insert. sorta wobbles around a bit but it works fine. i think some Chinese manufacturer has made an adapter for docks for iphones with bumpers and other cases but you'll have to search a bit.

21. Sedrick macrumors 68030

Sedrick

Ah, I suppose they couldn't have bragged about it being the thinnest start phone ever if it had the bumper on it from the start...

22. awadeee macrumors 68020

awadeee

Not sure about Apple, but when the rubber headphone cover tore away from my Otterbox Commuter case for my iPhone 3GS, I just shot them an e-mail and they were happy to give me a new one. In fact, they FedEx Express-d it and I got it in four days. I live in eastern Canada, apparently it was shipped from Colorado. Nice.

23. guywoodman7 macrumors member

Mine was falling apart as well and I took it into the apple store for replacement. Unfortunately they denied me, so I dropped another $30 dollars on a new one.

What is wonderful about the new bumpers is the mute switch has a larger hole (to accommodate the difference in placement for the verizon iPhone), this makes it much easier to switch on and off with my big fingers AND best of all, the recessed area around the dock connector is larger too! This is great because 3rd party dock connector cables would not fit into the phone with the bumper on previously. Now they do! That justified the extra 30 bucks for me. Very happy to have a nice sturdy new bumper.

24. Little Endian macrumors 6502a

If I had more time I would post a pic of my nasty white iphone 4 bumper. I bought the white iphone bumper on day one with my iphone 4. I used it for about 2 months and it has been sitting in my desk drawer almost 8 months now. I stopped using it because with just 2 months of use it looked like crap. The rubber by the headphone jack was getting stretched out, the white/gray coating on the rubber lip began to wear away, and there were many nicks and dents in the white hard plastic portion of the case. BTW I never dropped the phone in the Apple bumper and doubt the iphone could survive anything but the most minor drop in the bumper.

I cannot complain too much though as Apple refunded my money for the bumper as part of the free bumper program. I have since used three other cases by Switcheasy, iskin, and inspec. The Switcheasy Colors case is by far the best for the money and the only one which I actually paid for.

25. kicko macrumors 65816

just buy the cheap china bumpers, they are pretty much the exact same thing, and at $3-4 a piece you can buy more apps ;)