Is your computer even more lame than this?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by taxdad, Apr 30, 2009.

1. taxdad macrumors newbie

Just a poll/contest to see who is currently using the most lame (lamest?) computer setup.

What I'm using right now to type this:
    Dell Dimension desktop bought in 2001: 128 MB RAM, 40 GB disk, Windows ME operating system, Microsoft Works (oxymoron), 15 inch CRT monitor, dsl for internet, floppy disk drive, CD burner that burned out years ago.

Can you beat that?

Note: to post you must be really using your lame computer day to day - it can't be stored away in your basement or something.

2. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

I was running a 12" PowerBook, 1.5ghz up until October last year. Still works well but it's dog slow (obviously) compared to the Macbook that replaced it.

3. momo.786 macrumors member

How about this...

-Pentium 3 600MHz, 384MB ram (maxed out); 4GB hard drive (maxed out), was running Win98 since new, but upgraded to XP recently cos of usb issues. Still has the floppy disk drive...in fact I still have an sealed box of 10 floppy disks:eek:

Still works...brother uses it mostly for listening to music...with a 4GB flash disk as the hard drive is full.

But hey...it was the fastest processor available when we got it way way back in the days...somewhere around 1998/1999...how times have changed:rolleyes: Was our 1st pc. Used it everyday, even learnt computer programming on it.

And it has the 56k modem installed...those dialing sounds were so cool! The graphics card is still the 3MB S3 card:D Who needs 3D cards anyway?:p It came with a whole 64MB of ram! Oh...it also has a 14" CRT monitor! And only 2 USB ports...at the back...but now that I think about it, my MacBook also has only 2 usb ports...so guess that aint so bad:D

4. statik13 macrumors regular

LOL, how about a circa 1985 Atari ST? Definitely not my daily driver, but it does a fine job set up in my basement bar displaying drink recipes. 13" CRT, 720k floppy. No hard drive. 8mhz of raw power. :D

5. SkyBell macrumors 604

SkyBell

Eh, "worst" machine I use daily is my 1.33 GHz iBook G4. It does what I need very well.

For a period of about a month last year in 2008, my main machine was a headless 800 MHz iBook G3. :p

6. toolbox macrumors 68020

toolbox

The worst thing i have to use daily at work meh is a Pentium 4 3ghz with 512MB of ram running Vista Buisness.

I use this machine to do all my remote work for my customers and it's frustratingly slow.

7. No1451 macrumors 6502

I just retired a 950Mhz 8 year old AMD platform running an Gefore 2. Until just recently I had a really weak(not even sure of the clock) machine that was running Win95 with 64MB of ram. Aside from that, my current lamest machine is clocked at 4Ghz, 6GB of ram but it is lame in that it has no case and is just sitting on my floor.

8. Burnsey macrumors 6502a

I still use a 120MHZ Pentium computer with 8mb ram, 2GB hard drive and Windows 95. No fancy stuff like USB ports here, but it runs Age of Empires 1 decently.

9. dsnort macrumors 68000

dsnort

I gave my dad a G3 Imac "Snow", circa 2001, running 10.4.11 that he uses almost daily.

He uses it because it runs ring around the 2004 HP Running XP sitting beside it!

10. Hrududu macrumors 68020

Hrududu

I don't use it every day, but still at least once or twice a week. Its a 233MHz Powerbook G3 with 384mb and 2Gb hard drive. The battery still has a decent life to it, and I use it for some OS 9 apps I still have and getting info transferred to and from my Newton.

11. remmy macrumors 6502a

Had one very similar till last year when the motherboard failed.

12. taxdad thread starter macrumors newbie

What? Nobody still using a Mac Performa out there?

13. Sesshi macrumors G3

Sesshi

Currently I'm typing this into a remote web session on a Mac Pro, octo 3.2, FX5600 / 2600XT, RAID, 4 x SAS, 23-30-23, as I'm testing some software.

It is probably my lamest desktop that I use on a regular basis. I'm not talking about what it has on paper, but how it works and what it can do. More usually I can be found hunched over Dell Precisions.

As for the laptops, the 2.4 Unibody Macbook is my lamest notebook by far. However it is the only OS X machine I even feel like actually taking portable, given the sheer crudosity of the Air. Similarly, I can usually be found fishing a Sony out of my case otherwise.

14. djellison macrumors 68020

Ouch - that's the only OS that I like less than Vista.

15. seattle macrumors 6502

I don't use it but my stepdad uses a IBM PS/2 model 70 Intel 386 25 Mhz with Windows 3.11 and Microsoft Word 6.0.

16. rajalot macrumors member

rajalot

O how I *still* regret selling that model away 2 years ago. Was the greatest laptop I've ever owned.

Now my crappiest machine is Eee 901 with Ubuntu 9.04 NBR.

17. instaxgirl macrumors 65816

instaxgirl

Me and my brother have laptops but the rest of the family's still relying on a Patriot (?) computer with a 2GHz processor, 256 mb of RAM and a 20GB hard drive (an upgrade). CD/DVD read/write doesn't burn CDs right anymore. The USBs got upgraded to 2.0 too, but my dad put them in upside down :rolleyes:

It was bought in 2000 I think, looked like it was finally going to get replaced until my dad figured out that a tiny battery on the logic board had died or something and for a few quid it was good as new again. Happy days . . .

18. jamelosc macrumors newbie

Running a 12" G4 Power Book as my main computer. The battery is starting to fail but other than that I can't fault it, slightly annoying really as I would love an excuse to buy a new Mac Book.

Oh and Hi!!

19. iMpathetic macrumors 68030

iMpathetic

Let's see:

-- Play retro games on a Dell Dimension XPS I fished (read: stole) from the dump. 700MHz/512MB/20GB/2K Pro

-- Main laptop is a Dell Latitude C610. 1GHz Pentium III-M/512MB/60GB/XP Pro/802.11b :eek:

-- Netbook is a 5 year old Sony VAIO PCG-TR3A 10" widescreen. 1GHz Pentium M ULV/1GB/40GB/XP Home.

-- Dell Precision 650. Dual 3.06GHz Xeons with HT/2GB/160GB/XP Pro. Hopefully will be getting tomorrow.

-- IBM xSeries 335 server. Dual 2.7GHz Xeon with HT/4GB/80GB/XP Pro. Will hopefully be getting tomorrow.

20. fuzzynavo macrumors regular

I had a working Performa 6115CD until a few years ago. Now every time I boot up I get a system error with the bomb (oh the memories :p). It was my first real computer and I have great memories of playing Command & Conquer and Warcraft II on it. :D I had put in a 225 MHz or so Sonnet Nubus card to bring it up from the 60 MHz stock CPU.