Is Your Computer On All The Time?

Discussion in 'Apple TV and Home Theater' started by Andrew07, Mar 15, 2012.

1. Andrew07 macrumors 6502

Just got the new Apple TV :D but I'm not quite sure I get "Home Sharing"

For you guys ripping your own movies to play on the Apple TV, are your computers on all the time? To my understanding, to play movies from your iTunes library through "Home Sharing," your Mac must have iTunes actively running. And it doesn't seem like you can stream or connect a hard drive to the Apple TV...so is there no way to access non-cloud content on the Apple TV without your Mac turned on?

2. eliehass macrumors regular

My iMac is almost always on now that iTunes has 1080pand closed captions I'm in the process of transitioning to getting my media from iTunes. Then iCloud should allow me to turn my computer off once in a while :p

3. slothrob macrumors 6502

My computer is on all the time and I was surprised to find out that people still turned their computers off. However, you don't need to leave your computer on all the time to use Home Sharing. If you know you aren't going to watch TV any time but 6 pm to midnight, you can set your computer to turn on a little before 6, and shut off a little after midnight. Alternately, you can just set the computer to sleep and wake on LAN, wake for Network Access or wake on ethernet.

4. bt22 macrumors 6502

My iTunes library is on an external hard drive connected to my Mac Mini. I have enabled the option to wake via a lan request. So my Mac Mini will go to sleep and wake when a computer / apple tv needs access to iTunes, but I never turn off the Mini or close iTunes, aside from the occasional reboot.

5. MattG macrumors 68040

MattG

Yep, on all the time. I've got a Mac Mini so I don't feel too bad about it. Very little idle power usage.

6. rever3nce macrumors 6502a

rever3nce

Mine is always "on" or asleep. Rarely turned off

7. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

I use a mini as my media server and yes, it's always on. There's no reason not to leave it on.

8. NightStorm, Mar 16, 2012
    Last edited: Mar 16, 2012

NightStorm macrumors 68000

Yes, my iMac is almost always on with the display asleep. My ReadyNAS Ultra is also always on, with the drives configured to sleep after 1 hour of idle time. If I start playing something via home sharing and the ReadyNAS is asleep, it takes about 10 seconds for the drives to spin up and streaming to start.

9. Alrescha macrumors 68020

Yes.

I have a Mac mini and an Airport Extreme, so the mini sleeps when it can (not often :) and the Bonjour proxy takes care of waking it up on demand.

A.

10. dXTC macrumors 68020

dXTC

I have a similar setup (Airport Extreme + iMac). The Bonjour proxy works like a charm, waking the iMac just long enough to transfer the file, then gently putting it back to sleep. I even have my MBP on sleep as an alternate iTunes server, in case I've booted my iMac into Windows/Boot Camp; the AEBS works with that too. It's almost a must-have for a household that uses :apple:tv heavily.

11. s15119 macrumors 65816

s15119

12. EvilC5 macrumors 6502a

13. MacinJosh macrumors 6502a

14. maturola macrumors 68040

maturola

15. hafr macrumors 68030

It should be renamed "forced reboot button" or "hardware upgrade button".

16. StPatty33 macrumors 6502

StPatty33

Yes. Aren't everyone's computers on all the time?

17. adddictedtomac macrumors regular

If you own a Mac mini, its the ideal server for Apple TV because of its low power consumption (abt 8-12W min to 85-110W max).

I personally have a Mac mini Dual core 2GHz with 4GB RAM and an ext 2.5' 1 TB LaCie via USB with all my iTunes on it (LOTS OF MOVIES) and it has served me very well. Occasionally if I want to browse the internet or get my email I can always turn on the monitor and work.

18. brenkh macrumors newbie

brenkh

Same here... Always on...

LOL...

19. japasneezemonk macrumors 6502

japasneezemonk

My eMac has 8 years ON and going. I rarely turn it off, maybe once a year.

20. dnelms macrumors regular

dnelms

Yes.. I have 2 external drives (2TB ea) to store my local media and the computer stays on all the time.

21. urkel macrumors 68030

My mini's primary purpose is to serve AppleTV's but I Really wish I could just plug the HDD to the Apple TV or that my Time Capsule was also an iTunes server because its silly to have a computer on all the time just to serve the occasional movie or tv show.

22. rusty2192 macrumors 6502a

My iMac is on 24/7 with the display set to sleep. It only gets turned off during storms so that I can unplug it (yes there is a surge protector, but I don't really trust them).

23. kagharaht macrumors 6502a

Sleep & wake

I just sleep mine when going to bed. It automatically wakes up when ATV or a family member uses Home Sharing to play music or movies.

24. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    I can't believe there have been 23 responses and no one has mentioned the obvious. Laptops. I can't say with certainty if that's what the OP is referring to, but I think it might be. Yeah if I had an iMac/Pro/Mac Mini then I'd never turn it off ever. BUT my only computer is a Macbook and I do NOT want to keep it open and plugged in at all times because that supposedly reduces battery life. I always close my macbook when not using it. It would be pretty inconvenient for me to need to go open my macbook, then launch iTunes anytime I wanted to use my Apple TV... just saying...