Is your iPad 2 cover working with the new iPad?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by dmk1974, Mar 17, 2012.

1. dmk1974 macrumors 68000

dmk1974

I am using the same cover from my 2 with my 3, and while it fits, the magnets are not putting the screen to sleep nor waking it up. Anyone else having this issue? Thx.

2. paulisme macrumors 6502

I bought a leather cover from Apple a couple days after I preordered the new iPad and it works perfectly. I'm assuming it's the same as an iPad 2 cover.

3. Sdevante macrumors 6502

They moved the sensor on the new iPad. Many users of non-Apple covers are having the same problem.

4. MH01 macrumors G4

MH01

Bought a dodocase for an iPad 2 from eBay and was worried it would not fit. Very happy with the fit.

5. Richard8655 macrumors 6502a

Yes, but barely. IPad 3 squeezes into leather journal-type iPad 2 case as a pretty tight fit. Hoping the leather will stretch out over time, relax, and conform better.

6. Djentleman macrumors 6502

Djentleman

I could only find an iPad 2 case so I was a bit worried, but the fit is spot on.

7. celinedion1 macrumors member

I have an apple smart cover and it works great. I love that I can put my iPad to sleep just by closing the cover. What will they think of next. :apple:

8. trekkie604 macrumors 65816

trekkie604

Blackberry/RIM thought of that first btw.

9. dmk1974 thread starter macrumors 68000

dmk1974

I should have specified, but mine is not the Apple branded smart cover. I have the Monoprice 8456 iPad 2 cover (which I have always liked with my iPad 2). It fits fine on my new iPad. Playing with the cover more, I found that I have to misalign the cover by about 10 degrees to get it to work. That definitely supports your point that the sensor is slightly moved. Too bad this cover does not work in the natural position for putting it to sleep or waking up the iPad. I'm sure they'll eventually come out with an updated version.

10. rkenned macrumors newbie

Magnetic Polarity

The switch in the new iPad that allows a cover to put it into sleep mode is only activated by the negative (or south) polarity of a magnet. If the magnet in the smart cover you have has the positive (or north) polarity facing the screen it will not turn the screen off. (I have tested this on over smart 20 covers using a magnetic polarity tester). This is a new twist that Apple put in the new iPad. Either polarity will put the iPad 2 into sleep mode, so a case for that device has a 50-50 chance of working properly on the new iPad.

11. drpthemc macrumors member

My iPad 2 cover is not sleeping/waking my new iPad..

12. Surf Monkey macrumors 68030

Surf Monkey

I have the product red smart cover and it sleeps the iPad 3 just fine.

13. darwinian macrumors 6502a

darwinian

I have a Marware CEO Hybrid for the iPad 2 in which the iPad with an anti-glare screen film barely fits.

I have always been annoyed that removing the iPad from this case seemed to turn it off/on, but I have the wake with cover setting off. Can this behavior be changed?

14. thelookingglass macrumors 68000

Very interesting. So it's not that the sensor in the iPad has changed location ... that would explain why old smart covers still work.

15. onthecouchagain macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

So does this mean going forward, all Apple Smart Covers will be fitted with the correct facing polarity? Should people wait a while before purchasing one?

16. ChrisTX macrumors 68030

ChrisTX

My iPad 2 case fits perfectly. It's a leather incase, case and I have no problems with it.