is your iPad glass separating? Possible fix inside!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by gdeputy, May 6, 2011.

1. gdeputy macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

So, like many of you my iPad 2's glass was 'separating' at the bottom to the right of the home button. Just a tiny bit, but enough to be annoying for me (ocd a little maybe :p).

Anyways, Just a few minutes ago I took my girlfriends hair dryer and 'heated' the area.. got it nice and hot and applied pressure, did this 2-3 times and it SEEMS like it's holding down much better now.

I'll update in a little to see how it holds up long term but might be a fix. For me my backlight bleed is very minimal, and there is no yellowing, also I have ghost armor on so avoiding a replacement is preferred for me..

I'll let ya guys know!

2. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

3. gonnabuyamacbsh macrumors 6502

because that would make too much sense.

4. flopticalcube macrumors G4

flopticalcube

That's why.

5. D1G1T4L macrumors 68000

D1G1T4L

Why? There is light bleed?

6. Nishi100 macrumors 6502a

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPod; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8B117 Safari/6531.22.7)

I think that, here, you've softened, but not melted, the glue; which causes the "loose bit" stick tonthe glue an not pop out anymore.

I did have an idea:
    - IMO the blacklight bleed is caused by the lack of glue / bezel raising, as glue not completely drying before released dim stable enclosure.
    - Thererfore, I was thinking, if it's the bezel being slightly raised, then you could just heat up all of the bezel and push it to restick it.
    - If the problem's to do with not enought glue:
    ------------------ <- screen
    ----- <no glue > --- <- glue
    ______________ <- backlight

In this case you would need to melt the glue. This, would need a lot of heat; IMO, too much for the plastic / components to handle.

When I get my iPad I'll do the first, if there's backlighting problems - if that doesn't held I'll return it.

7. gdeputy thread starter macrumors 6502a

gdeputy

Why not just return it?

1. My iPad other than that is perfect. At max brightness with a black image in my totally dark bathroom I can notice SLIGHT light bleed with NO yellowing. In normal usage i've never once noticed it.

2. theres no harm in trying this, if it doesn't fix I can return it. If it does work great!

3. Like I said, I'm a busy guy and I don't want to have to spend 5$ on shipping for a replacement ghost armor and have to reapply when mine is currently nearly perfect (anyone with skin experience knows these are hard to get down with minimal dust/particles.)

Also, the apple store is maybe 30-35 minutes away, which equates to AT LEAST another 15-20 dollars in gas.

So right off the bat I'm down 25$ plus reinstalling my shield PLUS spending the hour and a half to go there and get it replaced.

ANYWAYS

update, it's worked so far. Held for like 6-8 hours at this point. I'm satisfied. If for any reason it unsticks I'll simply go through the hassle I want to avoid, but it's worth spending 3 minutes doing this rather than 2+ hours and some cash.