Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today said it is working on a fix for an iPhone software bug that has resulted in some alarms in the Clock app failing to play a sound at the set time for some users recently, according to NBC's Emilie Ikeda and The Wall Street Journal's Joanna Stern.

StandBy-iOS-17.jpg

The issue was highlighted by the TODAY Show on NBC this morning after gaining traction on social media platforms like TikTok. It is unclear how many iPhone users have experienced this issue, but not everyone is affected. While some TikTok users allege that the iPhone's Attention Aware feature has contributed to the problem, Apple did not reveal a specific cause.

The promised fix could be included in a future software update, such as iOS 17.4.2 or iOS 17.5, but Apple did not provide a timeframe for a resolution.

Article Link: Is Your iPhone's Alarm Not Playing a Sound? Apple Working on Fix

Last edited:
  • Angry
Reactions: decypher44

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Leave to Apple to screw up alarms. There’s another iOS 17 bug where if you have a timer set to “stop playing” music it will reset to a sound instead of stopping the music. That’s fun at 1AM. A simple sleep timer in the music app (which advertises sleep sounds) would be a crazy innovative thing for them to do….maybe in 14 years after iPad calculator.

jonnyb098

macrumors 601
Nov 16, 2010
Michigan
Apple needs to re-focus on user experience and ironing out the bugs during testing, not with the public. This kind of feature is critical for many of us and when an alarm lets you down, it can have huge consequences.
Apples software quality control has been on a steady downhill trend but has been particularly bad the last few years since iOS13.

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
Yesterday they forced reset thousand if not millions of users passwords with NO explantation, today they’ve broken alarm sounds on potentially millions of iPhones, place your bets for what they’ll break tomorrow…

Supposed to be a premium brand charging premium prices. I’m pretty my alarms didn’t go off this morning, just as well I only use it as a backup. Not good enough APPLE!

MilaM

macrumors 6502a
Nov 7, 2017
This has been happening to me every once in a while for YEARS. Reminds me of the iOS 4.1 bug that caused all iPhone alarms in Europe to go off one hour late on a Monday in 2010.
PC World - iPhone Alarm Bug Has Europe Waking 1 Hour Late
I never rely solely on my iPhone Alarm. Apparently designing an alarm clock app is the hardest thing on earth, because this bugs keeps resurfacing constantly, like clockwork 😆.

technole

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2017
It used to happen almost a year ago, but going in the actual settings, sounds and haptics, and just refresh-touch the ringer toggle it fixed the issue permanently. That may explain why it's only a small percentage having an issue. Setting probably gets corrupted and no longer honors it until refreshed.

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
Apples software quality control has been on a steady downhill trend but has been particularly bad the last few years since iOS13.

haha you don’t remember iOS 11? If I remember I think that was the one that was so bad I VERY nearly ditched Apple for good.

Reactions: rafark

jjudson

macrumors 6502a
Sep 20, 2017
North Carolina
What we're seeing is likely what happens to all operating systems at some point -- bloat. Too many lines of code that are inactive or stepping on other lines. Some of these should be found in testing, but it seems Apple's QA is sorely lacking these days, even on simple functionality issues like the idiotic fullscreen reminder on videos. Sometimes I wonder if anyone in their quality chain even uses the systems they're responsible for monitoring.

What really needs to happen is a ground-up redesign of the OS for phones and tablets. It's what most customers have been asking for for years. It's old, tired, and in today's environment, childish and immature in it's UI.

New leadership would help get things back on path with this company. It's odd to say, but it seems Apple is becoming our grandparent's tech company...

DougieS

macrumors regular
May 31, 2019
Finally! I’ve been affected by this multiple times - apparently could be related to the attention awareness features.
Had to explain to work that it’s a bug. Nice to have an official acknowledgement.

Reactions: rjp1

npmacuser5

macrumors 68000
Apr 10, 2015
Excuses not accepted for lateness: my iPhone malfunctioned.

I tend to pop awake early morning anyway. Phone alarms are for the weak.
So you pop up at 3am after a long day of flights and working to catch today’s flight. Not everyone has a fixed schedule for alarm needs. I set alarms for other needs. Like a conference call etc. I find the alarm easier then reminders. Very important the alarm works. Alarms essential for many. Did I mention, yesterday you changed three times zones.

Pezimak

macrumors 68030
May 1, 2021
What we're seeing is likely what happens to all operating systems at some point -- bloat. Too many lines of code that are inactive or stepping on other lines. Some of these should be found in testing, but it seems Apple's QA is sorely lacking these days, even on simple functionality issues like the idiotic fullscreen reminder on videos. Sometimes I wonder if anyone in their quality chain even uses the systems they're responsible for monitoring.

What really needs to happen is a ground-up redesign of the OS for phones and tablets. It's what most customers have been asking for for years. It's old, tired, and in today's environment, childish and immature in it's UI.

New leadership would help get things back on path with this company. It's odd to say, but it seems Apple is becoming our grandparent's tech company...

Sadly NO ONE with financial interests, which are a fair few on here, want to see Cook replaced as he’s brining in the money by the truck load, which is understandable considering the dividends. So expect more bugs I guess?

I don’t think it’s beyond Cooks ability to invest some of Apples reserves or income on their Q&A as it has been slipping, then again maybe he doesn’t want to impact those profits? Bloat is a big problem, let’s see what iOS 18 delivers.

Last edited:

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
This, among other reasons, is why I set 5 alarms for every morning!

The other reason is I am not a morning person and I hate coffee.

• Love
Reactions: Pezimak
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.