Is your life better connected constantly?

retta283

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 8, 2018
Kingman, AZ
I have been giving this topic a thought for some time. I've been thinking a lot about how my life was before smartphones, and before I was on the internet for decent chunks daily. It was a lot quieter, I could sit in my room or den without my phone going off because some stupid notification and scaring me. I had a desktop computer, but it only was online when the browser was open, which was rarely. And the internet was more anonymous then.

When I was in public, it was only on rare occasion that I would see people glued to their phones, as not nearly as many had them, and they had no access to the Internet. I now see teens on Instagram and Facebook as they walk down the street or they collect their goods. I felt more in the moment then, I walked the majority of my days with nothing but my clothes, watch, and wallet. The internet and my connection to it was contained in a box on my desk, and when I walked away, it stayed there. Now it seems it has become intertwined with people's lives.

Have you had similar thoughts, and do you think your life was better before the Internet became of importance to it?

throAU

macrumors 603
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Yes. However i do disconnect from time to time.

But being ABLE to look at what is going on at work, before i go to work lets me mentally prepare for the day in advance and i am caught off-guard a lot less.

e.g., review email over my morning coffee = i can be prepared to deal with anything that has happened over night or during the weekend and hit the ground running.

Reactions: D.T.

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
ten-zero-eleven-zero-zero by zero-two
I have been connected since 1984 when I discovered that my home user group had a BBS. I was 13 and after I discovered the online world that year I have never entirely and fully disconnected from it.

Computers and technology have allowed me a way to be myself and express myself while connecting with others. Having grown up in the mid-80s there was no internet and I entertained myself before computers and while offline with computers. So, I am entirely capable of IGNORING anything when I don't want to be bothered. But being disconnected or putting the stuff away on some sort of schedule - no.

I don't get out much. These things are what keep me connected to the world. My stuff is on 24/7.

Last edited:

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
Do you rule technology, or does it rule you?

Professionally, one needs to be both engaged but also - at certain times - (if focussed on something that needs undivided and uninterrupted attention, or when meeting a deadline) disengaged from being constantly connected.

However, in my personal life, I believe in fairly strict boundaries.

Quite often, if I am out, I don't take my phone with me - and, if I do, it takes a very pronounced second place to a walk, a trip to the theatre, coffee shop time, and meeting with friends in wine bars or pubs.

Likewise, there is no tech whatsoever in my bedroom, - ever - and neither phones nor TVs are welcome in the kitchen. While much of what modern tech has to offer is absolutely wonderful, it does not have to rule your life.

Last edited:

retta283

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 8, 2018
Kingman, AZ

Professional, one needs to be both engaged and - at times - disengaged from being constantly connected.

However, in my personal life, I believe in fairly strict boundaries.

Quite often, if I am out, I don't take my phone with me - and, if I do, it takes a very pronounced second place to a walk, a trip to the theatre, coffee shop time, and meeting with friends in wine bars or pubs.

Likewise, there is no tech whatsoever in my bedroom, - ever - and neither phones nor TVs are welcome in the kitchen. While much of what modern tech has to offer is absolutely wonderful, it does not have to rule your life.
I wish I could follow the no tech in the bedroom thing. In my old house, I had a dedicated office room. The only piece of tech in my bedroom was a bedside phone I bought about 25 years ago which was used as an alarm.

Alas, this is not the case in my new home. My dedicated bedroom is now a split room, with a smaller office in the corner. Due to my usage of technology, it does not affect my sleep with light/noise. I think I have done a good job making the two parts different enough that my mind does not associate the room with work exclusively.

Scepticalscribe

macrumors Sandy Bridge
Jul 29, 2008
The Far Horizon
I wish I could follow the no tech in the bedroom thing. In my old house, I had a dedicated office room. The only piece of tech in my bedroom was a bedside phone I bought about 25 years ago which was used as an alarm.

Alas, this is not the case in my new home. My dedicated bedroom is now a split room, with a smaller office in the corner. Due to my usage of technology, it does not affect my sleep with light/noise. I think I have done a good job making the two parts different enough that my mind does not associate the room with work exclusively.
Each to their own.

Some people express surprise that my mobile phone is downstairs, in my study, or being charged up. As is my computer, and mp3 players.

The phone never ever accompanies me upstairs, - with the sole exception being the night my mother passed away last December when phone calls needed to be made.

Likewise, there is no TV or computer in any of the bedrooms or in the kitchen - I like silence in my bedroom, and these days, I don't even had a radio in my bedroom, although I may remedy that, as I do like to listen to classical music.

Silence is wonderful at times, and I am not cut off, but attend to keeping in touch with people and events from my study, which is home to my computer, mp3 players, and iPhone.

Last edited:
Reactions: Mousse

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
For me, I have to be in tune with the Internet/E-mail all the time because of my profession, which may require immediate responses to phone calls/emails/texts, etc. But, I’ve accepted that it’s part of my job status and responsibility, but it doesn’t affect me on a personal level. [Even on vacations, I may not be required to respond, but I have to stay informed of everything happening.]

I’m appreciative of having access to the Internet whenever I need be, it keeps me connected to the outside world through the news/weather/.....Macrumors😁. However, I don’t have any social media accounts whatsoever and I have no desire to. But I prefer living in this ‘technological era’ being connected, it’s just convenient and necessary for my preferences.

As Eyoungren mentioned, he lived through part of the 80s where there was no Internet, I’ve never experienced that particular segment without having a internet connection, so I feel advantaged that I can access data/information in an instant v.s. having to use snail mail, phone books, ect. Technology has only benefited me, and I wouldn’t sacrifice the disconnect, when I rather have the ‘tech connect’ in my life.

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
While much of what modern tech has to offer is absolutely wonderful, it does not have to rule your life.
Totally agree with this. Just my tack is different.

My tech is there, pretty much every where I am. By not letting it rule me, I choose when to use it or not, when to ignore it or engage with it. I rule it, not the other way around.

You are making a choice not to engage with it at all and that's how you rule it. We're all different and my way is no better or worse, just different.

In both our cases it does not tempt us when we choose not to engage with it.
- - Post merged: - -

Each to their own.

Some people express surprise that my mobile phone is downstairs, in my study, or being charged up. As is my computer, and mp3 players.

The phone never ever accompanies me upstairs, - with the sole exception being the night my mother passed away last December when phone calls needed to be made.

Likewise, there is no TV or computer in any of the bedrooms or in the kitchen - I like silence in my bedroom, and these days, I don't even had a radio in my bedroom, although I may remedy that, as I do like to listen to classical music.

Silence is wonderful at times, and I am not cut off, but attend to keeping in touch with people and events from my study, which is home to my computer, mp3 players, and iPhone.
Again, different. We have no landline, so if someone needs to get a hold of us at 2am because of an emergency it does us no good to have our phones downstairs. Mine serves as a bedside clock and alarm. It is always on, but I am NOT always using it.

Also, again, the TV tends to serve as background noise so there is one in the bedroom and one in the living room. It is however, OFF when we both go to sleep.

My wife did ban laptops from the bedroom about a decade ago though. Which is funny, because she does most of her schoolwork on her laptop in the bedroom. I gave up trying to wrangle them though when I got an iPad. I use that in bed to read news stories before going to sleep.

Last edited:

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
I often times "forget" my phone at home when I go out.

I've found a few hours alone with my thoughts several times more relaxing than a week's vacation. I sometimes walk to the local pond with my fishing pole and line (no hook, no bait, no fishing license;)), and my Kindle:), just to be alone.
I am constantly and consistently alone with my thoughts, even with my tech. They are there during my drive to work and back where I do not use my phone, they are there before I fall asleep and my thoughts are there in all the between moments.

My brain never seems to stop thinking. I'd like a moment where I am NOT thinking at all. That'd be nice.

For me, I have to be in tune with the Internet/E-mail all the time because of my profession, which may require immediate responses to phone calls/emails/texts, etc. But, I’ve accepted that it’s part of my job status and responsibility, but it doesn’t affect me on a personal level. [Even on vacations, I may not be required to respond, but I have to stay informed of everything happening.]

I’m appreciative of having access to the Internet whenever I need be, it keeps me connected to the outside world through the news/weather/.....Macrumors😁. However, I don’t have any social media accounts whatsoever and I have no desire to. But I prefer living in this ‘technological era’ being connected, it’s just convenient and necessary for my preferences.

As Eyoungren mentioned, he lived through part of the 80s where there was no Internet, I’ve never experienced that particular segment without having a internet connection, so I feel advantaged that I can access data/information in an instant v.s. having to use snail mail, phone books, ect. Technology has only benefited me, and I wouldn’t sacrifice the disconnect, when I rather have the ‘tech connect’ in my life.
The library became a very big part of my life from the age of 15 until the rise of the internet. It's where I could find out just about anything and connect.

Now it's just Google and Google News, and places like MR. :D

retta283

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 8, 2018
Kingman, AZ
Now perhaps for a bit more clarification on my personal situation, I was a bit vague in my post. I am a smartphone user, but in no way an addict. It only comes with me on certain occasions, and I don't use it much around the house. (Even though I have been using it a bit more lately, I am pulling back to normal levels) This is why I am willing to stick with my 6S on iOS 10 until 2021-23. I don't care to have the newest updates for apps, because I rarely use non-stock apps anyways.

I am not a big laptop person, I have always wanted a nice laptop even though I never end up using it... I mostly use desktops, my iMac being the main computer. It goes off when I am done using it, I never put it into sleep. My cell is also off at night, anyone who is in dire need of me can reach me on the landline.

I have not had cable in 13 years. I do not using any streaming services, nor do I rent movies. In this way, my television is only used for the rare DVD from the 2000s or a video game. I do maintain a stereo and a collection of CDs, but I don't think many people are against listening to music...

I am mostly still in my old ways, before these technologies. However, owning an iPhone has made me more connected, and at times it becomes too much. Now is one of those times.

Tomorrow

macrumors 604
Mar 2, 2008
Always a day away
A couple of times in recent years my family and I went on a 7-day cruise. I turned my phone off and put it in the safe in our suite. I didn't take it back out until we returned to our home port. I didn't miss it.

Now, I use my phone pretty extensively in my everyday life, both for work and personal use. But I don't feel proverbially glued to it; I can go without it and be just fine.

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
Now perhaps for a bit more clarification on my personal situation, I was a bit vague in my post. I am a smartphone user, but in no way an addict. It only comes with me on certain occasions, and I don't use it much around the house. (Even though I have been using it a bit more lately, I am pulling back to normal levels) This is why I am willing to stick with my 6S on iOS 10 until 2021-23. I don't care to have the newest updates for apps, because I rarely use non-stock apps anyways.

I am not a big laptop person, I have always wanted a nice laptop even though I never end up using it... I mostly use desktops, my iMac being the main computer. It goes off when I am done using it, I never put it into sleep. My cell is also off at night, anyone who is in dire need of me can reach me on the landline.

I have not had cable in 13 years. I do not using any streaming services, nor do I rent movies. In this way, my television is only used for the rare DVD from the 2000s or a video game. I do maintain a stereo and a collection of CDs, but I don't think many people are against listening to music...

I am mostly still in my old ways, before these technologies. However, owning an iPhone has made me more connected, and at times it becomes too much. Now is one of those times.
Wow…

What are 'normal' levels? I can be sitting with my laptop, engaged on a forum with the TV on while handling text messages on my phone. That's normal for me. That can be anywhere from 6 or 7am on a Saturday and Sunday to about 8pm at night. Like I said previously, I don't get out much.

I'm using iOS 9.0.2 on a 6s+. I do have a Pixel 3a XL which is my primary phone though.

In my living room is a PowerMac G5 Quad, a 2.3 Dual Core PowerMac G5, a B&W PowerMac G3, a 2006 17" MBP, a 2008 15" MBP, a 2003 17" PowerBook G4 and a 2009 Thinkpad. The Thinkpad is connected to a 3TB external drive and is my bridge for Dropbox for my PowerPC Macs and my Snow Leopard MBP. The Thinkpad also serves up video to my HDTV through the Quad (where my vids are stored). My Quad also uses the HDTV as a sixth display.

The G3 is my home server with a 2TB RAID attached.

This does not include my son's Thinkpad, nor my work MBP. There is also an iPhone 4, a 4s and my 6th Gen iPad. My son has his iPhone SE and my daughter has her iPhone 5.

Not a single one of these computers/devices is ever turned off.

I pay for a cable package that gives me a digital phone (which we do not use), cable tv and 1GB speed internet. I have all my music in Google Play Music and the Thinkpad pushes any new music up to it. The central iTunes library is on the G3 and is shared with all my computers. We used to have a stereo, but every CD I own got ripped a very long time ago and there is internet radio.

My phone is my bedside clock and alarm.

2019-07-20 13.16.51_2.jpg

People seem to be wanting to go the other way. I embrace this stuff. I couldn't afford any of it when it was new.

Reactions: Relentless Power

Relentless Power

macrumors Nehalem
Jul 12, 2016
Wow…

What are 'normal' levels? I can be sitting with my laptop, engaged on a forum with the TV on while handling text messages on my phone. That's normal for me. That can be anywhere from 6 or 7am on a Saturday and Sunday to about 8pm at night. Like I said previously, I don't get out much.

I'm using iOS 9.0.2 on a 6s+. I do have a Pixel 3a XL which is my primary phone though.

In my living room is a PowerMac G5 Quad, a 2.3 Dual Core PowerMac G5, a B&W PowerMac G3, a 2006 17" MBP, a 2008 15" MBP, a 2003 17" PowerBook G4 and a 2009 Thinkpad. The Thinkpad is connected to a 3TB external drive and is my bridge for Dropbox for my PowerPC Macs and my Snow Leopard MBP. The Thinkpad also serves up video to my HDTV through the Quad (where my vids are stored). My Quad also uses the HDTV as a sixth display.

This does not include my son's Thinkpad, nor my work MBP. There is also an iPhone 4, a 4s and my 6th Gen iPad. My son has his iPhone SE and my daughter has her iPhone 5.

I pay for a cable package that gives me a digital phone (which we do not use), cable tv and 1GB speed internet. I have all my music in Google Play Music and the Thinkpad pushes any new music up to it. The central iTunes library is on the G3 and is shared with all my computers. We used to have a stereo, but every CD I own got ripped a very long time ago and there is internet radio.

View attachment 867487

People seem to be wanting to go the other way. I embrace this stuff. I couldn't afford any of it when it was new.
Haha. Awesome picture (I think you shared something similar in the iPhone forum once). It’s kinda like ‘Bruce Wayne’s bat cave’, except in your case, it’s your ‘Man-Tech-Cave’. 😁 [I’ve got a similar set up in my house in my spare bedroom, but not as many monitors as you have.]

Reactions: eyoungren

choreo

macrumors regular
Jan 10, 2008
Midland, TX
I am buried in Apple-Tech because as an independent designer it is required. However, it never "interrupts" my life. I have never connected to any social media or news feeds (and I am still alive!). I do not carry an iPhone on my person and only have one for an emergency call if my car breaks down (which has never happened yet). I have never given out my mobile phone number, so I receive no wireless calls. I do have an iPhone 11 Pro on order, but mainly for the camera/video functions and will not be carrying it with me unless I need a photo for a job I am working on.

I have over 100 regular clients and I have watched them transform over the years. Whenever I meet with them now they are nervous wreaks and completely controlled by their mobile devices to the point they cannot carry on an intelligent conversation - and they are getting dumber as a result. Seems like everyone I ask a question now responds "Let me Google it"! Hell, I can do that... what do they contribute anymore? Also my clients that used to be able to make decisions can no longer do that - every design I submit to them, they have to put it online to get votes from strangers to decide for them!

I had a dinner-reunion with a ex-girlfriend a few years ago that I had not seen in about 10 years prior. I was really looking forward to seeing her again. The whole evening it was nothing but her being tugged on by that electronic ball-and-chain. She had been reduced to nothing more than an iPhone-stand - did not even recognize her anymore... what a tragedy.

Reactions: retta283

retta283

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 8, 2018
Kingman, AZ
Wow…

Normal levels mostly refer to when I am out of the house. I have 15 working computers, I'm a hobbyist. I just don't think that technology should play a major factor in our lives outside of the house, other than work and communication. I just see these people doing too much pointless garbage with their technology, and in strange public places where there is no room for it.

But if we want to talk about what happens when I am home, I do spend a fair bit of my time with technology. I like yourself maintain a PowerPC Mac collection, and early Intel machines. Other than the 2010 iMac and server computer, these are mostly hobbyist. To me, the desktop is a great place. But that's what it is, a desk.

I do certainly wish I had access to the Internet as a research tool when I was younger. It's a great source of information. I also would've loved having the ability to listen to any song/podcast/video I wanted to from my phone when I spent 12 hours a day driving semi in Sask. I was already grown and aging by the time these technologies became prevalent in work and at home, so I do have a different worldview.

I am buried in Apple-Tech because as an independent designer it is required. However, it never "interrupts" my life. I have never connected to any social media or news feeds (and I am still alive!). I do not carry an iPhone on my person and only have one for an emergency call if my car breaks down (which has never happened yet). I have never given out my mobile phone number, so I receive no wireless calls. I do have an iPhone 11 Pro on order, but mainly for the camera/video functions and will not be carrying it with me unless I need a photo for a job I am working on.

I have over 100 regular clients and I have watched them transform over the years. Whenever I meet with them now they are nervous wreaks and completely controlled by their mobile devices to the point they cannot carry on an intelligent conversation - and they are getting dumber as a result. Seems like everyone I ask a question now responds "Let me Google it"! Hell, I can do that... what do they contribute anymore? Also my clients that used to be able to make decisions can no longer do that - every design I submit to them, they have to put it online to get votes from strangers to decide for them!

I had a dinner-reunion with a ex-girlfriend a few years ago that I had not seen in about 10 years prior. I was really looking forward to seeing her again. The whole evening it was nothing but her being tugged on by that electronic ball-and-chain. She had been reduced to nothing more than an iPhone-stand - did not even recognize her anymore... what a tragedy.
Your last example really drives home the point I was trying to make. I love technology, it's a wonderful thing. But there is such a thing as too much, and I think some of us have reached or have passed that point. I am unfortunately long-winded so sometimes I do not get my point across as clearly as I intended.

BTW, the iPhone 11 series camera is quite nice, it's the only tempting thing about the new series for me. Would love to have that wide-angle for cliff side shots.

Apple fanboy

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 21, 2012
Behind the Lens, UK
I’m not any social media and I never (well rarely) get notifications on my iPhone I don’t want. My primary email address is used on the phone but I rarely give that one out. Same with my mobile number.
The trick is to say no when x wants to send you a notification.

My life is neither better or worse. But it’s very convenient to have my music, camera, photo album, web browser, games console, map book, diary in my pocket.

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
I just don't think that technology should play a major factor in our lives outside of the house, other than work and communication. I just see these people doing too much pointless garbage with their technology, and in strange public places where there is no room for it.
I don't know if I agree with that. There are quite a few places outside the home (other than work) where technology can have a place or be shared. Like anything else, however, it CAN be inappropriate.

For instance, I do take my phone with me. Two phones in fact. But when I am ordering a meal or speaking with someone behind a desk, I am NOT on my phone - unless I happen to be looking up information they need. If I am out to dinner with my family or friends I am speaking to them, I'm not on my device. Walking down the street I am paying attention to where I am walking, etc.

I was taught not to be rude. And my kids have been taught what I was taught. I can only say that my parents have long since expressed their appreciation that our children are engaged with them at table and not their devices.

You have to respect people.

I love technology, it's a wonderful thing. But there is such a thing as too much, and I think some of us have reached or have passed that point.
I believe that is a self-control issue. As @Scepticalscribe mentioned earlier, do you rule technology or let it rule you?

This stuff has all been created to do what WE tell it. WE control it, it does not control us. But too many people lack self-control. I would say moderation is a virtue, but the problem with that is that my moderation may be excess to others (such as yourself). However, again, you will not find me ignoring you to be on my phone if I ever sat down to have a drink with you. That's an inappropriate time, is disrespectful and rude.

retta283

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 8, 2018
Kingman, AZ
I don't know if I agree with that. There are quite a few places outside the home (other than work) where technology can have a place or be shared. Like anything else, however, it CAN be inappropriate.

For instance, I do take my phone with me. Two phones in fact. But when I am ordering a meal or speaking with someone behind a desk, I am NOT on my phone - unless I happen to be looking up information they need. If I am out to dinner with my family or friends I am speaking to them, I'm not on my device. Walking down the street I am paying attention to where I am walking, etc.

I was taught not to be rude. And my kids have been taught what I was taught. I can only say that my parents have long since expressed their appreciation that our children are engaged with them at table and not their devices.

You have to respect people.

I believe that is a self-control issue. As @Scepticalscribe mentioned earlier, do you rule technology or let it rule you?

This stuff has all been created to do what WE tell it. WE control it, it does not control us. But too many people lack self-control. I would say moderation is a virtue, but the problem with that is that my moderation may be excess to others (such as yourself). However, again, you will not find me ignoring you to be on my phone if I ever sat down to have a drink with you. That's an inappropriate time, is disrespectful and rude.
You hit the nail on the head. There are lots of people who can use tech when they are out in a normal manner, and without excess or disrespect. But for those that lack self control, it surely is an easy way to fall into these bad habits. Sadly, it seems like a good chunk of people have fallen into this.

I've seen a lot of disrespectful people that care more about their phones than the people around them. I worked part-time at a pizza place a few years back, and a fair lot would come in glued to their phones when they picked their pizza up. So I was caught in a situation where it's rude to interrupt what they are doing, but these people are not coming up and reading out their order, they just sit and tap their phones expecting me to do it all for them.

My grandniece is a good example of this type. A lot of times I will ask her how she's doing, try to talk to her. She usually will pull out her phone and cut the conversation off for a bit. It wasn't a very engaged conversation. Now, you and I would not do such a thing, but there are some people that are just that way.

If you have a lot of technology, and that's what you like to spend your time with, I will not attempt to disperse you of it. I wholly respect it. But in matters like discussed above, it can encroach on our lives. It is a matter of respecting others and giving them your attention.

Sorry if my points have seemed a bit far-reaching and stretched. I get long-winded quick, and I'm bilingual, with German being the language used in most of my life, so I can have a hard time driving my points across.

eyoungren

macrumors Core
Aug 31, 2011
Sorry if my points have seemed a bit far-reaching and stretched. I get long-winded quick, and I'm bilingual, with German being the language used in most of my life, so I can have a hard time driving my points across.
I am the same way…but I only speak one language. My wife, who speaks both Spanish and English, consistently reminds me of this fact ("ENGLISH IS YOUR ONLY LANGUAGE!!!).

You got your point across.

I do believe society bears some blame here as well though. Society has allowed to a certain extent people doing these sorts of things. So, people think it's okay to ignore other people. Some will even pull their devices out as a means to 'politely' (they think) cut you off. It's not okay.

Reactions: LizKat and retta283

spooklog

macrumors regular
Aug 10, 2015
New Hampshire
For travelling, always-on connected tech is a wonderful thing. There have been too many near-catastrophes in my past (canceled flights, lay-overs and so forth); being able to use smartphone/smartwatch technology to solve or mitigate a problem is a God send.