Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Is your MacBook Air your main computer?

• Yes

Votes: 262 67.5%
  • No

Votes: 126 32.5%

• Total voters

MJedi

macrumors 6502a
Dec 16, 2010
My 13-inch 2011 MBA is now my primary Mac. It replaced my 15-inch 2007 MBP. We also have an iMac for video editing and for the kids to use.

wickoo

macrumors member
Jul 15, 2011
Sure!
I switched from a C2D 3.2Ghz, 6GB RAM and 400GB HDD PC to an 11" i5 Macbook Air and I couldn't be happier with it's performance. Soon after purchasing it turned out that I need to be running Parallels most of the time and the MBA doesn't complain about it AT ALL, everything is butter smooth with lots of apps running simultaneously.

The only thing I could complain about is it's battery life - I'm only able to achieve 5 hours estimates if I turn the screen brightness to the lowest possible option and disable every application which isn't vital for my workspace.

On the PC I also used a 22", 1680x1050 display and 1366x768 doesn't feel cramped at all on Lion, thanks to it's full screen apps and Mission Control. It's really great, especially with the Dock on a side.

It's a little monster, trust me.

ArztMac

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2011
Yes!

I own a high-end desktop PC and a C2D Vista laptop, but those see very little to no use ever since I bought my first Mac, a MacBook Air 13" (late 2010).

I only use my desktop to play the occasional game, but ever since I am a proud dad, my playing days have become very, very rare.

Now I just use my Air for everything. It's great!

zzz99

macrumors regular
May 31, 2010
Yes, I went from 2006 MBP 15--> 2009 MBP 13-->2010 MBA 11-->2011 MBA11

All I have to do at home is email, web browser, and cs/l4d.

I am very happy with the 2011MBA, most of the time I have 40GB free space.

Brandon0448

macrumors 6502
Aug 2, 2011
Anchorage, Alaska
Nope, while I love my macbook for its amazing portability it does not satisfy my needs for performance in games and storage. I bought my macbook for school and just on the fly use and it is absolutely amazing for that.

PaulWog

Suspended
Jun 28, 2011
I am going to getting the new MacBook air and using it as my main machine so I was wondering who else it using it as their main man as well.

If I was going to use any computer as my main computer, it would have to be either an iMac, or a Windows-based desktop or 13" Windows-based laptop (particularly for the graphics power). Unfortunately there's not enough graphics power in the 13-inch Macbook Pro, and I don't want to lug around a 15-inch Pro! :( I know it sounds contradictory to consider an iMac or desktop as a main computer, while saying a 15-inch pro is too big, but the thing is that if I have a laptop as a main computer, I prefer it to be very portable as well -- or else it might as well, to me, be a desktop.

In my case, that's exactly how I went:
1x Macbook Air 11-inch
1x Windows 7 Desktop

Works wonderfully for my purposes. It's nice having the luxury of getting to use both operating systems. It's also a ton cheaper to go with a custom built Windows desktop when it comes to hardware price-to-performance.

Last edited:

ZBoater

macrumors G3
Jul 2, 2007
Sunny Florida
"Main" computer can be a vague term, especially for someone who has several. :D

I voted "yes", but with some caveats.

If by "main" computer you mean the primary system I use to access email and the web, that'd be my iPad.

If I add Quicken, FTP, DVD Profiler, and a couple of other "every day" apps that I use, then yes, that is NOW my brand spanking new MBA.

If to that I add hard core gaming, then no, my Dell XPS 720H2C remains my "main" computer running Windows 7 Pro x64 and all my games in all their 2560x1600 glory.

If I had to pick only ONE computer, I'd pick the Air. It can do almost everything I need except hard core gaming, and that is fine by me.

richpjr

macrumors 68040
May 9, 2006
No, I have a 27" i7 iMac that is my "main" computer. The Air shares time with my iPad as my portable device.

plumosa

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2007
Australia
While I have an iMac, its in a box since we're on our way right now (literally at the airport in Seoul) to move to Australia for the next year. So for us, the portability of the 11" mba is absolutely perfect.

Kristine

macrumors 6502a
Feb 21, 2005
While I have an iMac, its in a box since we're on our way right now (literally at the airport in Seoul) to move to Australia for the next year. So for us, the portability of the 11" mba is absolutely perfect.

Let me be the first to welcome you to our beautiful country. :)

yuanmoons

macrumors 6502
Aug 7, 2008

I have the 13 as my main (and only).

There isn't that much difference between 11 and 13.

I don't fully understand how the 11 is truly more portable than the 13 (in your situation in particular).

I see that it IS more portable but the difference isn't that much for the average human. A human & bag can take both - the weight & foot print difference between both really aint that much.

Unless you are a very frequent traveller the 13 is better as main - screen size (eyes) and overall comfort (neck & hand) for longer periods of usage imho.

solaris

macrumors 6502a
Apr 19, 2004
Oslo, Norway
Yes, guess I can say so.
The MacBook Air is the one I use the most. Although it share time with the iPad 2, and the Lenovo X201 at the office. My MacBook Pro (2007) is bricked and the PowerBook G4 (2004) is too slow for general work.

vitzr

macrumors 68030
Jul 28, 2011
California
No.

My primary Mac for the most demanding bulk of the engineering work I do is my Mac Pro.

Then comes my i7 15" MBP, then my 13" MBA.

plumosa

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2007
Australia
I have the 13 as my main (and only).

There isn't that much difference between 11 and 13.

I don't fully understand how the 11 is truly more portable than the 13 (in your situation in particular).

I see that it IS more portable but the difference isn't that much for the average human. A human & bag can take both - the weight & foot print difference between both really aint that much.

Unless you are a very frequent traveller the 13 is better as main - screen size (eyes) and overall comfort (neck & hand) for longer periods of usage imho.

Well we actually are frequent travelers. We only brought one backpack each and we are intending on doing a round the world backpacking trip after the year in australia, plus other trips while we're here. When you are backpacking every little bit of weight matters because it could be on your back for hours at a time depending on your situation.

And as for the size, I actually feel like the 11" could be a little smaller! I had a 12" powerbook and it was actually smaller from left to right than the 11" because of a change in screen dimensions. It makes the 11" feel HUGE to me. I can't imagine using a 13".

Last edited:

App Downloader

macrumors member
Feb 12, 2011
I have a 256gb mba 2010 ultimate, and it works great as a main machine. The only actual thing thats taking up space is the apps for my mac and iOS devices. Altogther i've only used 40 gb so far with everything

OnEMoReTrY

macrumors member
Aug 4, 2008
Nope.

My main computer is the desktop I built (i5 2500K, 8GB ram, AMD 5850, 2.25TB storage, etc.)

I leave my MBA connected to my TV during the summers, and I use it a ton at school during fall/winter/spring.

hystery

macrumors member
Aug 9, 2010
Japan
Yes! Simply it performs well, Easily makes my work done. Absolution.
Planning to get Thunderbolt display in the future.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.