Is your macbook pro 2010 i5 or i7 running too hot?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by michial, Sep 21, 2010.

1. michial macrumors 6502

michial

Im brand new to Apple. I only own an iphone and ipad but love it and want to bail on windows and get a macbook pro. Ive read they run too hot. Is it true? I want the 17 inch i7 but if its too hot Ill get the i5 2.53 17 inch. Any thoughts? Thanks

2. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

running the 15 " 2.66 ghz i7 and it surprises me all the time with how cool it runs, yes it get pretty warm at time but when you spend 3 hours playing star craft 2 with the graphics on high i would expect that out of any computer.

3. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

Try spending about 30 minutes and rip 2 or 3 full-length DVDs in Handbrake on your i7 MacBook Pro. Then tell me if it "runs hot". I don't own one, but I'd really like to know how hot they really do run when you stress out all the cores on the i7 processor to max levels.

4. iBunny macrumors 65816

my i7 2.66 GHz MBP runs way way cooler than my old 2.8GHz Core 2 Duo. And the i7 is significantly faster than the C2D MBP.

5. moel macrumors 6502

Oh for christs sake. Not another one

No laptop runs 'too hot' They are all built to within specific design tolerances and have inbuilt protection systems that turn themselves off if you exceed the maximum allowed tolerances.

Buy it and enjoy it..and stop worrying about whether it's going to 'get hot' if your gaming it's generally going to be on a desk of some sort, so I really wouldn't worry about it.

Even if it does get 'too hot to the touch' in the upper left hand corner, all it actually means is your macbooks case is doing what it's supposed to rather well, which is dissapate the heat from the processor and gpu.

6. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

If the MacBook Pro is hot enough to give you second degree burns when you put in on your lap, it's running "too hot"

7. x0r-lord macrumors member

OP, wether to get a core i5 or core i7 is really up to what you want to do.
    have you gone to the apple store and compared the 15.4" to the 17"?

My 15.4" with its core i7 is just as fast as the 17" (faster then the i5 model). and when its driving my external monitor its nice, the 1440x900 display is a little low, but it plays 720p amazingly.

what do you need 1920x1200 on a mobile for? I find the 17" slightly cumbersome for my liking. plus the fact that the only difference in hardware between the 17" and 15.4" is the ExpressCard/34 and the Resolution - but 15.4's smaller, and a pound lighter. and I'm a student, so thats all the difference for me.

if your going to spend the extra $$ for the 17" get the core i7 thats my advice.

8. Hastings101 macrumors 68000

Hastings101

Mine never runs too hot, although the top left corner is a bit toasty while playing games. When I first bought my 15 inch MBP with the i5 I read all these comments about them always overheating so I installed SMCFanControl to manually set fanspeeds, but I noticed the temperatures never really went all that high at their default setting so I don't bother with it now.

9. _bnkr612 macrumors 6502a

_bnkr612

My 15" i7 runs CS5 (PS, Bridge, InDe), FF, Chrome, and a couple other apps for 12 hours a day, on most days. It gets warm, but is a great machine.

I highly recommend the 8GB of memory and iStat Menus to monitor your stuff. Also, while at work, I use a Griffin Elevator.

JP

10. Sheeds macrumors member

Sheeds

I've got a Mid 2010 MBP 15"

When I play TF2 the fans ramp up to near max, but the heat isn't an issue. When ripping DVDs I tend to leave it alone to do it's own thing though, it's loud and hot.

11. dandurn macrumors newbie

I just recently bought a new 2010 17" I7, 8 GB of ram, 500gb 7200 RPM HDD, anti-glare screen, and it's an awesome machine! It's slightly warm when directly on top of my lap, but I'm a rather warm blooded person. It really doesn't get hot at all anywhere but the bottom of the laptop.

12. michial thread starter macrumors 6502

michial

as a pc user when you say loud I assume that is quiet compared to the portable hairdryer sound pcs make. my pc laptop toshiba sounds like a leaf blower when it crnks up.

13. michial thread starter macrumors 6502

michial

thanks, jumping from the windows ecosystem to apple(which is foreign) and then to fork out 2k plus on a computer with some feedback regarding heat being more of a problem with certain processors I just thought it wise to go to you guys who know first hand. Im not trying to start up some controversial thread. Just wanna make a wise investment

14. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

hahah yes its "loud" but no its would never interfere with a conversation taking place with 6 inches of it, its just noticeable, i am very very happy with my 2010 mbp its fast and portable, and it is very easy on the eyes =D

15. DoFoT9 macrumors P6

DoFoT9

i am yet to see one temperature posted.. i am confused, people are worried about the temperature but not posting actual temps? what gives?

the entire case is aluminium, it acts as a big heatsync. i havent seen temperatures and i know that they wont be out of spec range.

16. TopHatPlus macrumors 6502

when i am lightly web browsing 77 f
    when i am video editing 150 f
    when i am playing SC2 for 3 hours straight 177-185 f

i did see it go above 200 once and then the fans kicked on and cooled it off in seconds to the 180 f range

i find that a more then expectable range, and my old 2007 macbook would average 20-40 f hotter to run simpler tasks.

17. TJones macrumors regular

My old White Macbook with x3100 video card would kick on the fans if I so much as looked at a youtube clip. This new i5 15" MBP in comparison is quiet as a monk even playing SC2. The only time I ever hear the fans is when I'm ripping DVDs.

18. WardC macrumors 68030

WardC

Handbrake is 64-bit and multithreaded, and it maxes out all the cores to the highest levels possible when you rip DVDs. You basically saturate every core on your processor when you are running Handbrake and ripping a DVD. That's the highest load that your processor could ever experience. The graphics card heat is another issue...these graphics cards run very, very hot. My old 2007 MacBook Pro runs very hot when I try to do RC5 crunching on the CUDA-enabled nVidia 8600M. VERY HOT.