Is your MacBook Pro your only computer?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by cinnabun814, Jul 30, 2019.

1. cinnabun814 macrumors regular

cinnabun814

Just curious as to others setups. My 15" is my only computer even though i'm debating on getting an iMac or an Alienware.

2. BigMcGuire Contributor

It is my only computer. Same for my wife. We are considering getting iMacs in the far future (few years from now) but only if finances allow it. Really no need though because we connect our MBPs to external monitors when home.

3. ziyuel macrumors member

4. tomi03 macrumors regular

tomi03

5. Michael CM1 macrumors 603

It's kind of my only one. I have an iMac that is probably from about 2010. It still works and is basically there as a media server and for use with maybe ripping BDs or editing some video. I use it so little that I've replaced the since-deceased Apple wireless keyboard and mouse with cheap ones.

Since I bought that computer, I have purchased a MacBook Air (in 2014), MacBook Pro (last year) and MacBook Pro (this year cuz someone stole that previous one). The MacBook Pro may have been expensive as hell back in 2010 when my previous one basically died, and I didn't need portability that much. I think 2010 me was stupid for thinking that.

I know that some people need a desktop. I just don't know many, if any. I told my parents to make their next computers notebooks because then I can more easily fix them (it's usually a software thing or they don't know how to use it thing). Same deal with when a computer needs a trip to an Apple Store.

In my opinion, if you don't need an expensive iMac/iMac Pro or Mac Pro, you likely don't need a desktop. Get an external monitor. With AirPlay, you might be able to just use your TV.

6. VineRider macrumors regular

I have Windows and Mac. Macbook Pro 13, Surface Pro 5, Dell 17" laptop.

7. hirensbub macrumors newbie

No. Two laptops at my office desk: MBP 13" and ThinkPad X1 as some of the apps works better on Windows such as DreamWeaver.

8. ruslan120 macrumors 6502

ruslan120

Nope. I would not use any butterfly Macbook Pro as a daily driver (and I love having a portable computer, I've been using a 2013 Retina Macbook Pro as my main machine reliably for the past 6 years). If they keyboard fails, sure it's covered, but that still means I'm out a computer for the week or so that it takes to repair it.

I compromised with the current Mac lineup by getting an iMac 5K for serious work and the base model 2019 13" for portable tasks. Powered up the iMac to my heart's content with external graphics and an external 2TB NVMe SSD and 40GB RAM for video editing work and using my MBP for text processing and web browsing and YouTube (watching), mostly.

Next step is a NAS setup, accessible from anywhere, and buying a USB C SSD for the Macbook Pro (in case I do need to take files on the go and put up with Iris Graphics for a quick video on a weekend trip). The hyperthreaded quad core is* nice.

9. LizKat macrumors 603

LizKat

My 13" mid-2012 is my main laptop (bought as Apple refurb in 2016 so the warranty only just now expired on it). My spare is an updated mid-2010 MacBook.

I've only used laptops for 35 years --not desktops-- as my personal computing gear, so I'm not inclined to use a machine that has to be plugged into wall juice.

See I like being able to just pop the power connection off and head somewhere else with the laptop if I want or need to do that. Doesn't keep me from relying on the cloud and my mobile devices as well, but there's just no way I'm going to go sit down in front of where "my computer" is sitting on some table plugged into a wall outlet. I think it would make me crazy trying to get used to that at this point.

10. Stephen.R macrumors 65816

Stephen.R

Not any more, no.

I worked for many years just from a MBP17 (first a 2007 then a late-2011, the last 17" model produced) but hardware failures and a less random working environment (I used to work from coffee shops and other random places a lot more 10 years ago) caused me to change my approach.

2018 Mac mini in my (home) office with 2x 24" 4Ks, 2018 MBP15 as a 'spare' and for occasional travel duties.

11. mrex macrumors 68040

mrex

no... i have also my old zenbook and lenovo from work.

when you already has 15” mbp, why would you want yo buy imac? just buy a display and when wanting larger display, just connect your mbp with it.

12. SandboxGeneral Moderator emeritus

SandboxGeneral

I had two MBP's over the years and when I had them, they were secondary computers for me. I always have a desktop computer that serves as my primary setup.

13. Trey M macrumors 6502a

Trey M

No, I use my MBP with a Thunderbolt 3 dock hooked up to 2 monitors to replicate a desktop experience.

Unfortunately, I couldn’t find a way to sell my backup machine (12” Macbook) due to the potential sketchiness of the butterfly keyboard. If I have to get it repaired I would need something.

14. TheRedOx macrumors member

TheRedOx

15. iHateMacs macrumors 6502a

iHateMacs

Yes.
    I used to have a 2013 iMac but since a house move, the location of the computer didn’t make me feel like I wanted to use it so much.

I’ve not had an Apple laptop in a few years but couldn’t really justify buying one.

I had the idea of selling my iMac and getting a MBP.

I’ve done this now and have no regrets. I find myself using the MBP a lot. It’s nice to use it while sat it front of the TV in my comfy chair.

I’m getting use to the 13” screen and keyboard but it’s all going well.

I use a 27” iMac at work so alternating between 27 and 13 inch on a daily basis is noticeable.

16. xb2003 macrumors 6502

xb2003

I have my 15" MBP as well as an 8700k build that I dual boot W10 and MacOS. I've gotten used to triple monitors and struggle to get away from them. I'd really like to sell my 8700k and switch over to an iMac with a dGPU, but I'm not super happy with this generation of iMacs because you have to either buy a 6c/6t or an 8c/16t. Why Intel didn't make a 9xxx 6c/12t processor, I don't know.

17. jerryk macrumors 601

Nope. I have lots of computers. My main system is a desktop with 2-27" monitors on a 6 foot standing desk. The system uses a i9900K 8 core processor with 32 GB of memory and 3 TB of NVME SSD and 1 4TB rotational. Gigabit Ethernet and a nice keyboard with MX Brown switches.

Other systems include 2018 15" MBP, 2017 surface book Pro, 2012 13" mbp, loads of Raspberry PIs, and other dedicated SBCs.

18. Acronyc macrumors 6502a

No, but almost.

My 2016 nTB MBP is my main personal machine (it's 16/512 config has helped with that) but last November I also got a 2018 Mac mini for home/family use. I have the i5 mini with 32GB of RAM and a 512 SSD and it is hooked up to an AMD RX580 eGPU and a Thunderbolt Display. My use for the mini is primarily the little time I have for gaming, otherwise it is a family computer that is mostly used by my wife. I use my MBP about 90% of the time.

I also have a 2015 11-inch MacBook Air with 4GB of RAM and a 256GB SSD that serves as a backup computer for myself, but I haven't used it as much as I thought I would need to so I'm thinking of selling it (it also has a brand new battery). My wife also has a 2016 m5 MacBook that is her personal travel laptop.

19. scottcampbell macrumors regular

15" 2012 MBP upgraded to have 1TBSSD and 16GBRAM.

Dreading the day that it dies and I'll likely transition to a Windows desktop at that point.

20. adrianlondon macrumors 65816

adrianlondon

Yes. Late 2013 15" MBP.

I'd gone through a few Windows machines (Sony Vaio, IBM Thinkpad, Toshiba Portege) and mainly due to the last one being a cheap pile of crap, and on recommendations from friends, I splashed out almost three times the price of another crappy Tosh and bought the Macbook.

The fact the Toshiba lasted just under 18 months whereas this thing is over 5 years old and still going strong means, in hindsight, I made the right decision.

21. ApplesandOranges macrumors regular

ApplesandOranges

I treat my laptops as secondary portables. I take them with me everywhere and rely on them mainly for work or late night reading or browsing. That being said, I offload anything of value (Files, photos, videos) onto my desktop and raid storage when I am home. I use a 2014 Mac Mini with two 4k 27" monitors for home use.

I adapted this strategy after I had a laptop stolen. Portable is great, but it also means they can be lost or stolen. I do not want to have anything of value disappear. I know home computers can be stolen as well, but I feel a computer that can be taken with you is at more risk.

Unless of course your laptop never leaves the house.

22. MengkeMary macrumors member

MengkeMary

I have both a 13" MBP and desktop PC. I don't know about others, but I find myself mostly working on the laptop, mainly because the screen is easier on my eyes and I tend to feel tired after staring at my 27" Acer monitor for too long. I also have Dell U2415 monitor for work, which I find better to use. But still, I prefer the screen of MBP and I tend to work on my MBP if screen size does not matter for my tasks.

23. Platocplx macrumors newbie

Yes it is. I thought id be good with an imac but i barely used it and gave it to my parents. Im literally sitting in front of a desk for hours at a time and having a laptop makes it much easier to deal with vs having a desktop.

24. leman macrumors G3

Yes, 15”. A while ago, I had both a laptop and an iMac, but the Mac laptops in the last few years are so ridiculously powerful that I really don’t see a point in using a desktop anymore. Also, synchronizing data over multiple machines is still a mess.