Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

balzz

macrumors regular
Sep 14, 2012
4C78E814-BBFC-453B-86C1-0FA488688B32.jpeg Bareback always

bushman4

macrumors 601
Mar 22, 2011
XS Max is too heavy to go naked. You need a case to lower the odds of damage in case it falls

razmonster

macrumors regular
Dec 22, 2017
11372↔️90254
8052D93D-E5B7-4CE3-A956-5E7C97CCEE33.png
i always use a thin solid black or thin clear case as i hate scratches of any kind

for my Xs Max i opted to go with a bumper and tempered glass on front and back. it's perfect. adds zero bulk, it matches the style/beauty of the phone, has slight raised lips on the back corners to protect that back glass.... it also helps with grip when holding it.

Ahiqar

macrumors member
Aug 8, 2007
Fox Cities, WI
Just got an X and I am going to go without a case and see how it goes. I keep the phone in my right front pocket and keep nothing else there.

AVBeatMan

macrumors 603
Nov 10, 2010
Interested to know those who have gone caseless how their phones are holding up? Also do you have AppleCare or not? Any regrets about going caseless?

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
Interested to know those who have gone caseless how their phones are holding up? Also do you have AppleCare or not? Any regrets about going caseless?

I always get AppleCare 'just in case'.

I have never put a case on any of my iPhones, and that includes my X and XS Max. They hold up fantastically if you treat them like the precision piece of engineering they are, and don't treat them like a tv remote. I have a dedicated pocket for my phone (front left), I never set it on hard surfaces, and I don't drop it. Other than fingerprints, it looks like it did the day I got it.

Last edited:

Wide opeN

macrumors 68000
Aug 27, 2010
Georgia
I have Apple Care, but currently have my iPhone Xs Max in an Otterbox Defender.

It just makes the phone so much more functional. Apple Care at this point is for replacement long term.

My OCD is too bad for naked, although I wish it weren't.

Nacho98

Suspended
Jul 11, 2019
I always get AppleCare 'just in case'.

I have never put a case on any of my iPhones, and that includes my X and XS Max. They hold up fantastically if you treat them like the precision piece of engineering they are, and don't treat them like a tv remote. I have a dedicated pocket for my phone (front left), I never set it on hard surfaces, and I don't drop it. Other than finger prints, it looks like it did the day I got it.

I was the exact same way for years. Then I got real sick of having to always make sure there was a napkin around to set it on or sometimes just not be able to have the phone out or have to always have a cloth to set it on permanently on my desk (pre-dock days) so I started buying ultra thin Tozo/Peel translucent/frosted cases and have never looked back. Doesn't take away from the phone at all and I can just enjoy the phone so much more now and don't need to worry about scratches from setting it on hard surfaces - I no longer need to treat it like a family heirloom, but I still have no bulk whatsoever and my silver phones look great in ultra thin frosted white cases.

UltraInstinct

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2013
United Kingdom
Don't use any skins cases or screen protectors on any of my phone's. I usually buy a case then end up taking it off almost immediately so I really need to stop wasting money on cases.

eoblaed

macrumors 68030
Apr 21, 2010
I was the exact same way for years. Then I got real sick of having to always make sure there was a napkin around to set it on or sometimes just not be able to have the phone out or have to always have a cloth to set it on permanently on my desk (pre-dock days) so I started buying ultra thin Tozo/Peel translucent/frosted cases and have never looked back. Doesn't take away from the phone at all and I can just enjoy the phone so much more now and don't need to worry about scratches from setting it on hard surfaces - I no longer need to treat it like a family heirloom, but I still have no bulk whatsoever and my silver phones look great in ultra thin frosted white cases.

Yeah, there's no wrong or right way, we all use/outfit our phone the way that fits our lifestyle and our preferences. :) For me, always touching/feeling the phone itself rather than a case is worth the extra bit of effort I go through to keep it pristine. I totally understand that's not a modality everyone is willing to engage in. :cool:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.