Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

powerbook911

macrumors 68040
Original poster
Mar 15, 2005
The first time I tried to restore my iPhone 5S backup from this morning to my iPhone 6, it nearly finished and then failed. It said that it might not be a compatible iPhone to restore it from?

Has anyone successfully restored from iPhone 5S to your new 6?

mlsusa

macrumors regular
Sep 17, 2012
Trying to restore using iTunes from a backup I made from my 5 and also seeing problems.

First the restore only seems to bring over settings from the old phone. I then need to do a sync with iTunes to bring over music, photos, videos, apps, etc so that I have the actual stuff I want in my phone.

It's during the sync the restore fails. When it's copying apps to the new phone it hangs. I've tried several times and it gets stuck at some random app so it doesn't look like something's corrupted.

This isn't how I remember restores from backup used to be. I could've sworn after it was done the phone was just the same as it was. I haven't done this in a while and when I did it was always for the same exact phone. So maybe a restore to a new phone works differently or I'm not remembering right.

Looks like I'll have to set it up as new. I know there's quite a few that prefer to do it this way when they get their new phone but I'd rather set it up the same as my old. That way I don't have to painstakingly transfer over what I want in the phone. Oh well.

YakkoW

macrumors newbie
Jul 30, 2012
Trying to restore using iTunes from a backup I made from my 5 and also seeing problems.

First the restore only seems to bring over settings from the old phone. I then need to do a sync with iTunes to bring over music, photos, videos, apps, etc so that I have the actual stuff I want in my phone.

It's during the sync the restore fails. When it's copying apps to the new phone it hangs. I've tried several times and it gets stuck at some random app so it doesn't look like something's corrupted.

Having the same problem with a restore from my 5S.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.