Is your screen consistant around the edges when showing black?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by waltermitty, Apr 25, 2010.

1. waltermitty, Apr 25, 2010
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2012

waltermitty macrumors member

I have noticed while watching movies with bars on the top and bottom that slight light inconsistencies appear on the edges of the screen (when in landscape mode), as if there were too much pressure at these points. Does anyone else notice this, or should I exchange for another unit? It is only possible to see them when the screen is displaying black.

Thanks.

2. master-ceo macrumors 65816

master-ceo

What you are noticing is called "Light Bleeding". You can take it back if its bothering you and :apple: will gladly exchange it.

3. Aduntu macrumors 6502a

Aduntu

You can take it to an Apple store, but you may not be completely happy with their response. I had three employees, including one manager, tell me that they couldn't see it and I was being too critical. One manager told me that both of his iPads have the same problem and that it's just the nature of the device (although I knew that wasn't true).

I've had four different iPads, and three of them had bleeding. I was able to talk them into exchanges, but I wasn't able to find one without it. Eventually I gave up completely and returned it. Now I'm hoping the 3Gs won't have the same problem.

4. fishmd macrumors 68000

fishmd

I had to take mine to two different apple stores. First one told me that it was "normal". He compared it to a demo unit and said that mine was actually better than the demo unit so I might as well just hold on to it!

Second store exchanged it out for me. This screen is fine. No light bleeding. Obviously it is not normal, because not all of them have it, but you may have to be persistent about getting it exchanged.

5. msavwah macrumors 6502

It's the nature of the tech I think. Mine bleeds a tiny amount of light in one spot and I have to really be looking for it in perfect conditions.
    For me this is acceptable and not an issue.

6. chrono1081 macrumors 604

chrono1081

Its the nature of the technology unfortunately. I don't like it either but it happens.

Its rare to get a monitor with 0 backlight bleed especially on anything really thin like laptops and iPads.

Desktop monitors are generally much better but not perfect.

7. waltermitty thread starter macrumors member

It's really not worth an hour or more of my time to go to the store, convince them, only to potentially receive a replacement unit with the same issue, so I suppose I'll just keep the damn thing. It reminds me of when I installed the third party front light on my Gameboy Advance back in 2001 (years before they released the SP version). It certainly had its issues.

8. apfhex macrumors 68030

apfhex

It's unfortunately in the nature of the type of LCD they used. The 23" ACDs had notoriously bad bleeding, mine included. In that instance it did bother me enough to convince Apple to fix it (they did, and it came back looking perfect). My iPad has a spot in the lower right corner that's noticeable on black or dark images unless you're in a very well lit room/outside. But I'm not sure if it's worth the effort either... like others said you have to convince the staff first, and then the replacement might be as bad. It would be encouraging to hear other success stories, or from people who are happy just living with it.

9. O and A macrumors regular

Ihave a 3G and it has it. 3 inch area along the left side when home button is at bottom. It's pretty obvious. None my 4 cinema displaysat home and work have it. Nor doe do the Dell screens we have. It's pretty annoying to me. Not sure it's worth the hassle but it's a fairly large area IMO

Maybe I'll post a pic. Perhaps I'll look and see if I find dead pixels and then decide what to do.