Is your screen hinges loose?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CC424, Oct 31, 2010.

1. CC424 macrumors regular

Ok so I have recently purchased my pro and just noticed that if I pick it up at an angle the screen moves.

My 3 year old pc laptop does not do that. Is it just me being anal or is it a problem?

I just want to make sure because I have already taken my iphone4 back 3 times and my ipad. So I beginning to think its me!

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

If you think it's too loose, take it in. There is some "give" in the hinge, but I've never really had an issue with it.

3. SpudGT macrumors member

The hinge on my 2010 MBP 13 seems OK to me, if I pick it up quickly (or tilt it quickly) the screen will move. Definitely not flopping about during normal usage.

If you are close to an Apple store, do as the previous poster suggested and take it in and have it checked out.

4. CC424 thread starter macrumors regular

Quick question: if you have your screen at 90 degrees and tilt it back, does it move?

5. seydurin macrumors member

My screen, and basically all the Macbook pro screens I've had experience with are relatively tightly set, compared to all the other laptops I've had experience with, so it might be a lemon?

6. Gr80Likes2Boogi macrumors regular

I had this problem and had 2 displays replaced by Apple, only to have it return. My solution was unscrew the 4 screws where the display is held, dipping them in Loc-Tite thread lock, then tightening them again. Been a few months and no more loose display!

7. aimbdd macrumors 6502a

so its not normal for the laptop screen to slowly close when its at about a 90 degree angle?
    Actually it doesn't even have to be 90. Just when im laying down and its on my lap it slowly closes.

8. CC424 thread starter macrumors regular

Ok so I took it back and got another one and have the same results...guess I'm just expecting too much!

Apple should really do something about this.

9. SpudGT macrumors member

If I have my screen open at 90 degrees and gently tilt my MBP (either backwards or forwards), the screen does not move. Any 'sudden' movement and the screen will move (which seems fair to me).

BTW: I have a 13 inch MBP, perhaps the bigger screens move more easily.

10. Gr80Likes2Boogi macrumors regular

My fiancee has a 13" and it doesn't exhibit this at all. I think it's a 15" uMBP thing. Any 17" peeps wanna weigh in?

11. mrwonkers macrumors 6502

mrwonkers

I have a 17" i7 here and the hinge on its as tight as a nuns clacker.
    Set it at whatever angle you like and it just stays there...

12. CC424 thread starter macrumors regular

Thank everyone on their input. I am now at a crossroad. This is my second laptop and it behaves the same.

So my question is should I return it to apple a swap it instead of Bestbuy?

Should I take it to Apple and trade it for a base MBA? Will they let you do this?

Are they equipped to write iphone and ipad software?

13. Rithem macrumors 6502

Rithem

Mine was misaligned and they ended up replacing my entire screen. Pretty sweet I'd say.