Is your screen "spongy" right below the home button?

Discussion in 'iPad' started by aperry, Mar 27, 2011.

1. aperry macrumors 6502a

I've noticed that when I press down on my iPad 2's screen right on the edge below the home button (basically right near the edge between the home button and the dock connector), it feels a little spongy. If I look closely I can see the screen flexing just a tiny bit around that seem. It doesn't feel this way anywhere else around the edge of the screen.

Has anyone else noticed this? It doesn't really bother me but I'm trying to determine whether it's a defect.

2. Irishman macrumors 68030

It doesn't sound like the area you're describing is the screen, though.

3. aperry thread starter macrumors 6502a

Sorry, correct, it's not the "display", but I am talking about part of the glass surface (just below the home button).

4. phsdrumguy macrumors newbie

Yes! Mine's like that too. If I hold it up flat and look along the bottom edge it rises up by the home button. I can push it back down and it stays for a while but eventually ends up raising back up. I've tried to make it do it but can't.

No enough of a defect for me but might be if it gets worse.

Anyone else?

5. Nishi100 macrumors 6502a

It sounds to me as if it's the glue; as, when you press down on it and it sticks, that's where the glue should be holding it, but it's not. Can you check to see if the backlight bleeding disappears when you push this bit down?

6. fanboy05 macrumors regular

No, but I also have no bleeding, so maybe that is part of your issue?

7. ahbo macrumors member

Yeah, mine has the same thing. Mine was bought in NZ on the 25th. There are a few other threads around here where people mention this, although sometimes it is reported near the headphone jack, and sometimes near the home button. Mine is around the home button like yours. Also, some seem to have it worse, where the bezel is coming off more and even makes a clicking sound when pressed, e.g. this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=1118472

So, it sounds like it may be a recurring manufacturing quirk. Whether or not it's a cause for concern, I'm not too sure. For example, could the panel gradually become more unstuck over time? I think in the case of yours and mine, where it's quite minor, it might be worth just forgetting about. It's the sort of thing that most regular people wouldn't even pick up on. With that sort of attention to detail, you're probably bound to pick up on some other issue on a replacement. :)

8. darngooddesign macrumors G3

Probably because there isn't as much metal to reinforce it. I'm not worried, a little flex never hurt anything.

9. tbobmccoy macrumors 6502a

tbobmccoy

This. Remember that at the spot you're talking about, the big ol' 30-pn dock connector has to be connected, and there's very litte of anything above that spot on the iPad. Its definitely something to be alert to while dropping your iPad ;)

10. JayDH macrumors 6502

Mine is like this, however, I don't see it as much of an issue.

11. aperry thread starter macrumors 6502a

Thanks guys. Doesn't bother me much, less so now that I understand it's not uncommon. In was just curious if others had it.

12. Cool Hwhip macrumors member

13. aperry thread starter macrumors 6502a

Heh, well the whole home button moves with it, btw.

I installed the 4 finger gestures, so I actually don't use that button much anymore!

14. PhazonUK macrumors 6502

I have the same problem, but its just to the right of my Home button.
    Going to an Apple Store tomorrow to see what they say about it.

15. aperry thread starter macrumors 6502a

Cool, please let us know how it goes!

16. cmvsm macrumors 6502a

cmvsm

That was the problem with my first iPad. Pressing on it increased light bleed, so I returned it.

17. ahbo macrumors member

18. MasonH macrumors member

hehe I like that. And you wonder why you're so popular;)

19. MasonH macrumors member

Well the entire front panel/bezel is simply glued down so it's not surprising some units might have this issue.
    Up to you what (if anything) to do about it.

If you're a take charge kinda guy you could tear it apart like this site and then re-glue it yourself with Gorilla Glue:p

http://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/iPad-2-Wi-Fi-Teardown/5071/1

20. Toby Ziegler macrumors regular

Toby Ziegler

Same issue with mine, but the area in question barely moves. Unless it starts popping off, I don't see it as a major issue.

21. RobT macrumors 6502a

RobT

White WiFi only iPad 2 and I don't have this issue.

22. aperry thread starter macrumors 6502a

Hah, thanks.....but no thanks!