Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iSamurai

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
ɹǝpun uʍop 'ǝuɐqsı&#
my new macbook (about 2 months old)'s button becomes increasingly difficult to click - it feels like something is stuck and it makes a sticky sound when clicked. i dont mean that it doesnt release back.

AndyK

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2008
Terra
Mine does that too, towards the top of the button in the middle, doesn't do it if I use the bottom part of the button.*

*Top being the side closest to the space bar, bottom being the side closest to me, the user.

If anyone knows how to stop it doing this I'd <3 them forever.

iSamurai

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
ɹǝpun uʍop 'ǝuɐqsı&#
mine's the opposite. it becomes 'sticky' at the bottom (left, centre and right) but at the top it seems fine...

it's like there's sticky tape behind the button. so annoying.

yellow

Moderator emeritus
Oct 21, 2003
Portland, OR
My click pad drives me nuts. For me it gets stuck and I have to hit it harder and harder for it to work. So far, I've been too lazy to take it in and get it fixed, but man, it needs it.

AndyK

macrumors 65816
Jan 10, 2008
Terra
Anyone know of a home fix for this or does it have to be taken in to be looked at?

jamesarm97

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2006
This seems to be a problem on the Macbook more than the Pro. I have a Pro and two macbooks I have used have this problem. I really hate the way the button feels and always miss click (no click). It is hard to press and does not give as much as the macbook pro. I love the feel of my trackpad button.

- James

schatzie

macrumors member
Jan 30, 2008
I don't have a problem with "sticking" but I have another problem. When I click, most of the time, the arrow moves a little bit. Sometimes it's annoying 'cause if I'm clicking on something that's not big, the arrow ends up moving and I end up clicking something else or nothing at all.

Does anyone know what is the problem with this? Is it because it's too sensitive or something? I don't think I'm clicking it wrong. And my fingers are certainly not "fat". :)

tip

macrumors 6502
Mar 9, 2006
I had this problem with my MBP - when I removed my Marware pad, it had a better response.

... Then I had to send it in for repairs a few weeks back. The entire top portion (keyboard, etc.) was replaced. Now the action on the button is higher (which is better). However, the left and right sides have good response - the middle is kinda murky.

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
my new macbook (about 2 months old)'s button becomes increasingly difficult to click - it feels like something is stuck and it makes a sticky sound when clicked. i dont mean that it doesnt release back.
Yup - mine got so bad after 18 months! The only place i could get a "solid click" was by clicking right in the middle of it.

Consultant

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
My current and previous MBP works fine.

For those who are adventurous and technically proficient,
the click pad stickiness is adjusted by some simple screws.

I am guessing some people with sticky track pads also have sticky keyboard? =p
Use a mouse when you are at a desk...

MacGuyver

macrumors member
Nov 26, 2007
I use a piece of thin hard plastic and a screen cleaner to clean between the space of the trackpad.. also take out the battery and you can see the bottom of trackpad to see if there is something stick there.

iSamurai

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Nov 9, 2007
ɹǝpun uʍop 'ǝuɐqsı&#
I don't have a problem with "sticking" but I have another problem. When I click, most of the time, the arrow moves a little bit. Sometimes it's annoying 'cause if I'm clicking on something that's not big, the arrow ends up moving and I end up clicking something else or nothing at all.

Does anyone know what is the problem with this? Is it because it's too sensitive or something? I don't think I'm clicking it wrong. And my fingers are certainly not "fat". :)

try clicking at the middle...

Shoeguy

macrumors newbie
Jul 7, 2006
Sticky Fingers?

It's almost like the trackpad button is to tight a fit for the hole in the case, and binds. Sometimes mine will stick down and have to be tapped to release. Anyway, its really annoying.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.