Is your trackpad entirely even?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by PaulWog, Jul 29, 2011.

1. PaulWog Suspended

This isn't a worried thread. I mean, perfection is always nice though. This is just a question thread: Is your trackpad even on your 2011 Macbook Air?

If it's not even, please post.

For example: Mine is lower at the bottom left-side by a fraction.

2. mfldmike macrumors regular

Mine's a just a fraction lower on the lower left side as well...boy did I have to squint to see a difference though....

3. qwerf123 macrumors regular

Mine first MBA wasn't. Noticed it when i just purchased it at the Apple Store and got it replaced straight away

4. xraydoc macrumors demi-god

xraydoc

5. PaulWog thread starter Suspended

Odd. Mine evened out over the course of the day. I noticed unevenness yesterday, and throughout the course of today. Now I'm looking at it, and after some use today, it's completely even on both sides.

Now I'm somewhat curious/worried as to why it might slightly shift. :O

6. Bokes macrumors 6502

It's an optical illusion.
    Depending on the lighting and the perspective- my pad looks uneven.
    When I look at it under direct light- straight down- it looks fine.

7. PaulWog thread starter Suspended

No, it's definitely not an optical illusion.

I kept track of it particularly with the feel. I ran my finger across it, as well as my nail. Earlier today, the bottom left side would easily catch against my nail. The bottom right side wouldn't. Now it's simply even. Actually the left side is still a tad bit lower. I'm talking like half a mm difference or something minuscule like that (maybe even a quarter mm). Only reason I can notice is because I can feel it with my fingers precisely, and the reference is the aluminum body that it is sitting in.

8. 2IS macrumors 68030

9. PaulWog thread starter Suspended

Uhhh... do you really need to ask this question? Or do I need to spell it out for you?

10. 2IS macrumors 68030

Yes to both. Please spell out how half a MM is affecting the functionality of the laptop.

11. PaulWog thread starter Suspended

"Functionality" is a rather choice word. I guess it's a little off, or at least not quite to-the-point. When one worries about any given aspect about their computer, it can be about a number of things; that worry can also be founded on good reason, the want of a perfect product (in the absence of perfection due to a perceived imperfection), or simply worry of something possibly being wrong.

In my case, I look at the trackpad and go through a thought-process in this order (not exactly, but in written form it's easier to process this way):
    1. Is this the norm? Is my Air in the 1 percentile, or 10 percentile, or some lower number of Airs that didn't quite turn out perfect? Or is this actually something that's quite off and not something that should happen?
    2. What could be causing this? Could it be battery-swelling? Could it be a part underneath the trackpad is not actually placed properly or securely? Could it be the trackpad itself is not quite properly constructed?
    3. How will this affect the performance of my device in the future? Will the trackpad warp slightly further, causing a truly annoying surface to work on? Will the trackpad possibly break?
    4. Moving on from point 3, the trackpad is made of a solid piece of glass material. Glass is not built to bend. If one end is higher than the other, I want to make sure that there's no chance that the glass may crack or break.

I could probably expand the list a little further, but you catch the drift at this point I suppose.

Again, this thread is simply inquisitive and not so worrisome. I didn't intend to have to write up a large post like this explaining myself: but you asked.

I love my tech, and I am a perfectionist at heart. I will worry senselessly, but I won't panic senselessly; I will post with good reason, but I will not spam without reason. I don't return my product simply because I perceive a defect or a possible defect unless it is directly effecting my workflow or enjoyment of the product in a very real way. So this thread exists simply to inquire.

12. 2IS macrumors 68030