Is your USB 3.0 Hub working perfectly?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by imorton, Nov 19, 2016.

?

Is your USB 3.0 Hub working properly?

1. YES, I'm on Yosemite (10.10)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. YES, I'm on El Capitan (10.11)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  3. YES, I'm on Sierra (10.12)

4 vote(s)
    40.0%
  4. NO, I'm on Yosemite (10.10)

1 vote(s)
    10.0%
  5. NO, I'm on El Capitan (10.11)

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  6. NO, I'm on Sierra (10.12)

5 vote(s)
    50.0%
  1. imorton, Nov 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 6, 2017

imorton macrumors 6502

Hi Guys & Girls, I would love to know who has a stable & perfectly running system using USB 3.0 hubs?

I just upgraded to a mid 2012 13" Macbook Pro with (2) USB 3.0 unfortunately I am having externally connected USB Hub 3.0 problems with "disconnecting" and general "stability" issues. This is with (2) newly purchased USB 3.0 Hubs with external power source attached to the hubs.

I decided to upgrade to El Capitan, and have had nothing but issues with notifications about the drives disconnecting and being improperly disconnected, OR being recognized as USB 2.0 devices (when it's clearly a 3.0 device).

I need my MB Pro to work correctly and not cause data corruption, so I need to find a solution OR downgrade to Yosemite (via a Carbon Copy Clone).

Please VOTE, and any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

UPDATE: I have finally solved the issue, details are in Post# 12.

2. therealseebs macrumors 65816

therealseebs

I kept having a backup drive randomly disconnect when connected to a plain old USB3 hub. I eventually switched to a thunderbolt dock with USB3 ports and that seemed fine. This is 10.10, so it's not a new thing with 10.11/10.12.

3. imorton thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for the reply. That's what I am trying to figure out.... Is it a software issue with Apple, Yosemite/El Capitan/Sierra, or a USB Hub hardware issue with the manufacturers....?

We can clone sheep nowadays, and I can't attach all my peripherals to a relatively new machine.... :(

4. shareef777 macrumors 68020

shareef777

Running a 2016 15" with a Tripp-Lite USB-C hub and I get disconnects/crashes when backing up to a USB powered drive. I can plug in my iPhone and other USB devices without issue.

5. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

Can you tell us which USB hubs you have tried?
    You said you have tried two. Are they different hubs, or did you try the same model twice?

6. imorton, Nov 19, 2016

imorton thread starter macrumors 6502

Hmmmm.... doesn't sound very reliable, nor reassuring for data & system integrity.... :(

Sound it's USB 3.0 and USB-C also.... wonderful (smh)
    --- Post Merged, Nov 19, 2016 ---
    They are both the same USB 3.0 Hub.... purchased last week. I was also going to try this one:

USB 3.0 SuperSpeed 10-Port Hub

But I wanted to see if it was the hub (the issue), or Mac OSX, or..... before spending another $50

I didn't want to spend hundreds of dollars, and weeks on end, to arrive at a point were it's software, hardware, or Apple....

7. DeltaMac macrumors 604

DeltaMac

No brand name, just generic hubs? Should be at least a model number somewhere on the box, I would think.

Yeah, I'd try the Anker, too.
    Just curious - would you actually use all 10 ports? The large hubs are not necessarily going to be more reliable, at least in my experience. I have never needed to replace a 4 port hub, but had a 14-port a couple of years ago that I had to replace twice before I got one that worked more than a few days - but I was trying to go cheap, so sometimes you get what you pay for, eh?

I do see a fair number of threads about unreliable USB ports for external storage.
    Did you try any file transfers when plugging a USB drive directly into the USB port on your MBPro? (no hub attached, just a direct connection)

8. imorton thread starter macrumors 6502

Here is the (2) photos showing the USB 3.0 Hubs that I am testing. I have a 5V DC 2A power cable connected to each one, and I am still getting disconnects & errors.

I also included the info from my System Information:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I hope this helps for someone to see an issue?
    --- Post Merged, Nov 19, 2016 ---
    The reason I need a USB 3.0 Hub is that I use a Hengedock station, and simply have everything connected (wireless mouse, ext 24" monitor, (2) external USB 3.0 Hard Drive enclosures with SSD's, and an external Wifi USB card, plus the occasional USB Key HD, and my iPhone for weekly backups.

9. BasicGreatGuy, Nov 19, 2016
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2016

BasicGreatGuy Contributor

BasicGreatGuy

I am using a Santechi hub on a newly purchased Late 2016 MBP 13" w/o touch bar (Sierra 10.12). I have only had the hub for 4 days but, I haven't had any problems thus far.

10. imorton thread starter macrumors 6502

Maybe you could be more descriptive...

Which model USB Hub (and link), and what OS... and for how long (1 hour, or 5 months)?

11. imorton, Nov 24, 2016

imorton thread starter macrumors 6502

I couldn't get the USB Hub to not disconnect the external SSD drives. I have cloned my Yosemite partition back, and I haven't had any errors or disconnects since reverting back to Yosemite.

I ordered one of the USB 3.0 hubs and will try El Capitan next week when I receive it.

12. imorton thread starter macrumors 6502

UPDATE: it has now been over 45 days with the new USB 3.0 Hub and I have NOT had any disconnects or issues. There has been lots of testing such as reboots, disk ejects, and testing with Carbon Copy Clones & Time Machine use on the external hard drive (and no issues at all to report).

YEAH, the problem has finally been solved... :)

Here is the 10 Port USB 3.0 Hub that I bought http://amzn.to/2iLqfJI